First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
Woke up around 5:30am, it was 68 degrees, I went back to sleep.
Miss Joy made the coffee this morning.
Had a busy day yesterday, spent an hour with the Accountant determining what our fair share was going to be, couple of hours at the funeral of a special lady, paid quarterly property tax on Starvation Plantation at the courthouse annex and even got a haircut, worst part, I missed my nap!
Probably do some mowing today with bushhog and the zero turn, this will be a weekly ritual through October at least.
Watching the news about yesterday's round of tornadoes, so sad! The political witch hunt continues.
Y'all have a safe day.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Chalk one up for the weather forecast people, spot on. Snow started at 11:00pm and the wind howled. 7am, clear and sunny. Got 2-3 inches.
Back to work today and catch up there.
Fundraiser tonight with prime rib dinner, yum. Was previously Pheasants Forever but ties were cut from the national organization because of the amount of $$$ that had to be turned in to national. Now all $$$ will stay local for habitat and various youth projects. Same long time leadership so hoping much success to all their efforts.
Need more coffee and food.
Prayers to all those in the storm areas.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Good morning to all. It's stormy here, but nowhere near as terrible as in other parts of the country. Rain is falling, and the National Weather Service has issued a special weather statement due to a fast-moving thunderstorm. The mercury currently sits at 52, where it's likely to peak before plummeting to 27 overnight. I might fish the shallow end of the Bay for knives, but nothing of consequence is planned. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Busy on the Forum overnight, the Diner was down towards the bottom of page 2 when i checked in. :)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

WELCOME FCD PATRONS
98E6004B-2A1F-4B93-A949-03A814696BCD.jpeg
Diner is open for business. Coffee is ready for all you insomniacs. I’d be sleeping now but my dog alerted me that she had some business outside to take care of. Might as well stay up. Cooking grits now. Been awhile since I made them. I prefer yellow grits but not as easy to find. Always wondered if the white are from white corn but to me the yellow have more flavor. Some melted butter and fresh ground black pepper and breakfast is ready. Wish I had some shrimp to add in. Had shrimp and grits years ago in a restaurant in South Carolina and while it didn’t sound appealing it turned out to be a great combination.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day !
-Oscar outta here. ::pace::
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:54 am WELCOME FCD PATRONS
98E6004B-2A1F-4B93-A949-03A814696BCD.jpeg
Diner is open for business. Coffee is ready for all you insomniacs. I’d be sleeping now but my dog alerted me that she had some business outside to take care of. Might as well stay up. Cooking grits now. Been awhile since I made them. I prefer yellow grits but not as easy to find. Always wondered if the white are from white corn but to me the yellow have more flavor. Some melted butter and fresh ground black pepper and breakfast is ready. Wish I had some shrimp to add in. Had shrimp and grits years ago in a restaurant in South Carolina and while it didn’t sound appealing it turned out to be a great combination.
Hope everyone has a wonderful day !
-Oscar outta here. ::pace::
I agree. Yellow grits (to me) are better than the white grits.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Happy Sunday to everyone for the start of Easter week, keep all those affected by the terrible weather and tornado's in your prayers. ::pray:: ::pray:: ::pray::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' folks here in the FCD. I sure woke up early this mornin' and I may get a short nap in after my shower and before church. It is 62º this morning and we may get into the high 80s this afternoon.
Hope you all have a blessed day on this Palm Sunday.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

My white grits turn yellow when I dump them on my over easy eggs and start cuttin'!

Hittin' a flea in a bit....not sure which one....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Howdy friends, suns just an orange glow on the horizon at the moment. Nothing planned for the day. Looks like a lot of pondering and plidding. 49-78 sunny and breezy. Happy Trails!
Attachments
proxy-image (44).jpeg
proxy-image (44).jpeg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 303 times
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks.
We had a humdinger of a squall-line come through about 4pm yesterday. Lots of wind and thunder, dropped 0.8 inch of rain in the gauge. Temperature is 53 this morning.
Was able to mow for several hours yesterday morning.
Jerry, you and Oscar are discussing some serious stuff when you mention grits! Miss Joy usually buys the yellow grits, she says they are better for us. The local Piggly Wiggly has yellow grits in a container similar to the old Quaker oats cardboard cylinder, Lakeside brand from North Carolina. There is more of certain vitamins or minerals in the yellow corn than in the white corn, don't remember what it was. We made some red corn meal and red grits several years ago when we were trying to grow some red corn. One of our neighbors has and old antique electric powered mill. The red of the kernels made the finished product have a red tint just the same as white or yellow corn does. They all taste good with butter and black pepper, just like Oscar said!
Shelled out red corn.
Shelled out red corn.
Red grits ready to store in freezer, they only had a red tint.
Red grits ready to store in freezer, they only had a red tint.
The youth at church are having a fund raiser dinner after church this morning so no cooking this morning before church.
Time for Miss Joy's tropical plants to come out of the greenhouse and also time to put some seed in the ground in the garden plots. I hope Spring is really here. ::undecided::
Y'all have a great Sunday, there's always some empty seats at the church. :)
Treefarmer

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Sunny and warm. If we get little wind it will be a perfect day.

Put together one of those solar-powered security lights that go on when motion is detected. Just have to decide where to install it. Possibly overlooking the new shed.

Was ruminating this morning on how Jesus was welcomed to Jerusalem with palms and hosannas; then not long after he was crucified. The praises of the crowds are as fleeting as the tides.

peace & health
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:17 pm Good Mornin', Folks.
We had a humdinger of a squall-line come through about 4pm yesterday. Lots of wind and thunder, dropped 0.8 inch of rain in the gauge. Temperature is 53 this morning.
Was able to mow for several hours yesterday morning.
Jerry, you and Oscar are discussing some serious stuff when you mention grits! Miss Joy usually buys the yellow grits, she says they are better for us. The local Piggly Wiggly has yellow grits in a container similar to the old Quaker oats cardboard cylinder, Lakeside brand from North Carolina. There is more of certain vitamins or minerals in the yellow corn than in the white corn, don't remember what it was. We made some red corn meal and red grits several years ago when we were trying to grow some red corn. One of our neighbors has and old antique electric powered mill. The red of the kernels made the finished product have a red tint just the same as white or yellow corn does. They all taste good with butter and black pepper, just like Oscar said!11-7-12 1735.JPG11-28-12 948.JPG
The youth at church are having a fund raiser dinner after church this morning so no cooking this morning before church.
Time for Miss Joy's tropical plants to come out of the greenhouse and also time to put some seed in the ground in the garden plots. I hope Spring is really here. ::undecided::
Y'all have a great Sunday, there's always some empty seats at the church. :)
Treefarmer
Yellow grits are hard to find where I live. I stock up on them when I go to the mountains. There’s a stone grist mill there and they sell them in cloth bags. I’ve never seen red grits but I bet they are awesome. I’ve always found the white ones to have less flavor.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

Happy Palm Sunday all… the beginning of Holy Week.

We need to lay down our lives for Jesus just as those who laid down palms in the path of Jesus and the disciples.

Jim
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Prayers for all those in the path of the storms. Had a very rough night with leg cramps so after church
today I'm probably going back to bed for a couple of hours. Have a blessed day and stay safe.... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Grits, good Sunday morning discussion. I wasn’t sure what I had so checked, white, unbleached, stone ground, hum, from North Carolina. Bought on Amazon cuz stores here only have the Quaker Quick grits land I wanted the longer cooking type. I like my grits with shredded cheese. I make a yummy shrimp and grits. I will look for the yellow kind.
Supposed to get to low 50’s today.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Boji wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:42 pm Grits, good Sunday morning discussion. I wasn’t sure what I had so checked, white, unbleached, stone ground, hum, from North Carolina. Bought on Amazon cuz stores here only have the Quaker Quick grits land I wanted the longer cooking type. I like my grits with shredded cheese. I make a yummy shrimp and grits. I will look for the yellow kind.
Boji,
Google Lakeside yellow grits, they are available through Amazon.
Still need to send you a couple of pics of another matter we discussed.
Treefarmer

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Might have some time today to work on the lathe. Chores seldom end and when you’re caught up, more things always arise.
Debating whether or not to order IW Harper online. Great bourbon unavailable for over 20 years.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:54 am Had shrimp and grits years ago in a restaurant in South Carolina and while it didn’t sound appealing it turned out to be a great combination.
Shrimp and grits do work rather well together. I'm sure I have some shrimp in one of the freezers that could be used.

Good morning to all. It's currently 37 degrees, and we have 44/38 to look forward to. The pets and the feral cats have good supplies of food and water. I'll be feeding myself soon enough. Since the sun is out, I should have a good opportunity to take a knife photo that will require a backdrop other than the plank I typically use. Some trimming of cat claws will also have to be done today. Y'all have a great day!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Very sad what happened near Fort Campbell.
Fox News is on the main TV and it makes me sad.
My Sister's Birthday is Today.
At roughly 3pm we are going to dinner.
Looking for the magic penny!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Happy Birthday to your sister Dave. May she have many more.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

::uc:: Here it is 0300 and I can't get back to sleep. It's 42º and supposed to peak at 58º later today. Woo Hoo Baby! Spring is in the air. Nothing going on here, especially at this time of day.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Woke up @ 0216....struggled to fall back to sleep, now I'm up and preparing to hit the flea market.

Wish me luck!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Boji wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:42 pm Grits, good Sunday morning discussion. I wasn’t sure what I had so checked, white, unbleached, stone ground, hum, from North Carolina. Bought on Amazon cuz stores here only have the Quaker Quick grits land I wanted the longer cooking type. I like my grits with shredded cheese. I make a yummy shrimp and grits. I will look for the yellow kind.
Reminds me of the court scene in My Cousin Vinny about the cooking time of grits. :lol: :lol: :lol:
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Folks. Lots of room at the counter this morning. ::shrug::
63 degrees, overcast and a big rain about 60 miles north up in Alabama.
Looks like a laid-back day, so far.
Hope everyone has a successful day. ::tu::
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”