Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Say it ain’t so. Please!

I just read that by unanimous vote of MLB teams the “Manfred man” extra inning ghost runner at second base is now permanent. ::teary_eyes::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gee Ken. Thanks for ruining my day. Mumble, mumble. Expletive, expletive!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: The Reds will win it all in 2023!! ftd
SmartSelect_20230214-110300_Chrome.jpg
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:55 pm Gee Ken. Thanks for ruining my day. Mumble, mumble. Expletive, expletive!!
Desperate to find something good about it. Best I can come up with is, maybe it will make the art of bunting relevant again.

::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

This stinks but not as bad as the DH.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Follow the money. The rule changes are all about attracting more fans and making more money. Creating more offense, more action, shorter games, etc. Baseball is a cerebral game, but only if you know the game.

The average baseball fan never played baseball beyond Little League if at all. The popularity of high school, college and minor league baseball in America is no where near that of high school and college football. I think we see that reflected also in the high percentage of players from offshore countries.

MLB has done a poor job teaching fans the nuances of the game. Today’s fan is hooked on the instant gratification and constant stimulation of video games, and doesn’t understand baseball beyond the obvious action parts of the game (like stolen bases and home runs). ::facepalm:: Baseball strategy (hit-and-run, squeeze plays, bunting, etc) is rapidly going away - they’re not paying high $ for players having those skills, so players aren’t working to develop them. Instead they’re trying to change the game to accommodate today’s fan.

The other aspect is the owners trying to protect their huge investments in players from injury, and the players wanting a bigger piece of the money. Hence the DH (which protects pitchers from injury and keeps older players employed longer), and shorter extra-inning games, pitch clocks, bigger bases, etc. Coming soon will be the total elimination of the pitcher’s mound. ::hmm::

JMO

Ken
Attachments
DD23B62F-630F-4B4C-829C-D1A8328538DB.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Spring Training is here! ::ds::

Interesting article: “An Inside Look at How the New Rules Will Work”

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-rule- ... icle-share

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hall of Famer Tim McCarver dies at at 81.

https://www.mlb.com/video/tim-mccarver- ... ideo-share

R.I.P. Tim. You entertained us for over seven decades.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 pm Follow the money. The rule changes are all about attracting more fans and making more money. Creating more offense, more action, shorter games, etc. Baseball is a cerebral game, but only if you know the game.

The average baseball fan never played baseball beyond Little League if at all. The popularity of high school, college and minor league baseball in America is no where near that of high school and college football. I think we see that reflected also in the high percentage of players from offshore countries.

MLB has done a poor job teaching fans the nuances of the game. Today’s fan is hooked on the instant gratification and constant stimulation of video games, and doesn’t understand baseball beyond the obvious action parts of the game (like stolen bases and home runs). ::facepalm:: Baseball strategy (hit-and-run, squeeze plays, bunting, etc) is rapidly going away - they’re not paying high $ for players having those skills, so players aren’t working to develop them. Instead they’re trying to change the game to accommodate today’s fan.

The other aspect is the owners trying to protect their huge investments in players from injury, and the players wanting a bigger piece of the money. Hence the DH (which protects pitchers from injury and keeps older players employed longer), and shorter extra-inning games, pitch clocks, bigger bases, etc. Coming soon will be the total elimination of the pitcher’s mound. ::hmm::

JMO

Ken
I have not read anything about eliminating the pitchers mound, there has been some talk and experiments with moving it back. If it was eliminated, that would completely change the game into something unrecognizable. As it is, the height of the mound makes the pitches to home plate come in at a downward angle. That makes hitting a 95mph fastball a matter of precise timing. If the pitcher was standing on the same level as the batter, the pitchers would have to throw nothing but eephus pitches to try to preserve that downward angle. So MLB would go from 95mph fastballs to 56mph eephus pitches. Is that what fans want?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That comment was just me giving a sarcastic prediction. But it has been discussed https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html.

I heartily disagree with your thoughts regarding pitchers having to throw eephus pitches. They already lowered the pitchers mound by 5 inches after the 1968 season, in reaction to dominating pitchers like Bob Gibson, Denny McLain, etc. (At that same time they also shrank the strike zone). Although there were no radar guns during their day, so we don’t really know how fast their pitches were, it’s well accepted there are more pitchers throwing 95+ mph pitches today than ever. The lowered mound doesn’t seem to be affecting pitchers’ ability to throw hard. Nor is the flatter angle affecting their ability to get batters out.

They may never actually completely eliminate it, but if you’ve ever taken batting practice against pitchers throwing from flat ground you’ll appreciate that they have no problems throwing hard pitches. Hitting them may be a little easier, and if anything that’s why they would lower the mound - again.

Ken

(I have seen a rookie Yu Darvish throw his version of the eephus pitch though. He threw one to Joey Votto in a Spring Training game. Votto swung so hard (and missed) that he nearly fell down. The players (including Votto) all laughed. Votto said “throw it again”. Darvish did, and Votto cleared the right field bleachers and the ball landed in the street. :lol: Darvish had a sheepish grin while Votto trotted around the bases.)
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:24 pm That comment was just me giving a sarcastic prediction. But it has been discussed https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html.

I heartily disagree with your thoughts regarding pitchers having to throw eephus pitches. They already lowered the pitchers mound by 5 inches after the 1968 season, in reaction to dominating pitchers like Bob Gibson, Denny McLain, etc. (At that same time they also shrank the strike zone). Although there were no radar guns during their day, so we don’t really know how fast their pitches were, it’s well accepted there are more pitchers throwing 95+ mph pitches today than ever. The lowered mound doesn’t seem to be affecting pitchers’ ability to throw hard. Nor is the flatter angle affecting their ability to get batters out.

They may never actually completely eliminate it, but if you’ve ever taken batting practice against pitchers throwing from flat ground you’ll appreciate that they have no problems throwing hard pitches. Hitting them may be a little easier, and if anything that’s why they would lower the mound - again.

Ken

(I have seen a rookie Yu Darvish throw his version of the eephus pitch though. He threw one to Joey Votto in a Spring Training game. Votto swung so hard (and missed) that he nearly fell down. The players (including Votto) all laughed. Votto said “throw it again”. Darvish did, and Votto cleared the right field bleachers and the ball landed in the street. :lol: Darvish had a sheepish grin while Votto trotted around the bases.)
I too was being sarcastic about the changes in the game from what it once was. This is to please the non fans who now attend the games, the ones with the big money.
schradefan27

Post by schradefan27 »

Just picked up my tics for Tigers’ spring training on Friday. As always I put Easter, baseball and trout season as the end of winter and a season of rebirth and renewal!

I honestly find that the “replay rule” has been a big negative for the NFL, and am afraid of adding clocks or other tech to baseball. As a kid I can remember watching baseball on a 14 inch “portable” Panasonic tv and never being bored.

Basically I like Baseball because it provides me with an escape from “time” as does fly fishing.
I believe George Will has some beautiful thoughts on same.

In any event, with Judge, Trout, Guerrero jr, etc. and more great pitchers than I can remember (granted few complete games and crazy sabermetrics causing pitching changes) I’m hoping for a great year.

As Bogart said, “ a hotdog at the game beats roast beef at the Ritz”
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

They are ruining my beloved game of baseball with these stupid rules.
Ghost runners?? Not for major league baseball. That's the stuff we did as kids when we only had a few players.
Pitch clock? Bigger bases? Limited number of pick off attempts? DH?
Who cares if a game last 4 hours?? More time for me to enjoy the best game ever.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Unfortunately we are throwbacks to our generation and previous. The younger ones want action, constant stimulation and immediate gratification. They're also the ones being catered to. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

edge213 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:39 am DH?
I've never been a truly avid baseball fan, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the NL adapt the DH rule. The AL doing away with it would have been okay with me, too.
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:05 am The younger ones want action, constant stimulation and immediate gratification.
Seems to me that such things miss the point of baseball. Instant gratification isn't always a good thing anyway.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

In my experience it’s common for people to complain baseball takes too long, and/or it is boring. “Not enough action”. I’ve even seen baseball referred to as “stand around”. Invariably the comments come from admitted football fans. (My BIL says it too, and his favorite sport is……golf! :lol: )

So those folks are always surprised, and usually in denial, when given the facts on the time to play a game (about 3 hours for college or pro football, and MLB), and amount of actual time of action (around 11 or 12 minutes per game for both baseball and football). https://theuijunkie.com/football-baseball-action-time/.

All of which gives ample time in both football and baseball games for announcer commentary, instant replay, and of course, television or radio commercials. ::hmm:: https://www.sportsrec.com/449125-how-mu ... -game.html

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Here is what MLB fans have to look forward to as a result of the new pitch clock rule. Another way for a game to end. Yesterday a game ended in a 6-6 tie ( spring training rules) . The situation was tie game, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, two out, full count. The batter was charged with a time violation which is a called strike, ended the game. Imagine if this happens in a playoff or World Series game.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Opening day @ Wrigley Field against the Brew Crew. Always a contentious game. Go Cubs.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:18 pm Opening day @ Wrigley Field against the Brew Crew. Always a contentious game. Go Cubs.
Cubs with a 4 hit shutout on opening day!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Strange as it may seem, the Texas Rangers just won their 12th straight game over the Phillies. Hard to believe. Impossible to explain. ::shrug:: But I can’t complain! :lol:

Ken
Attachments
63FCE738-BF5C-45AC-A02F-3E1A9A646C8B.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nats go 1-2 against the Braves, probably sets the tone for this season.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:04 pm Nats go 1-2 against the Braves, probably sets the tone for this season.
That's what the Cubs did against the Brew Crew (Milwaukee). ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Well, as an Uber Eats delivery driver I get to spend a lot of time in my car and I've grown to like listening to baseball games.
Right now it's the unbeaten Tampa Bay Rays!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

At this time, the only unbeaten team in baseball but it's early.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Baseball . . . what's baseball???

I actually bought tickets to see the Nats lose to someone on May 20th. Star Wars themed Hawaiian shirt giveaway. Hey, they have to do something to get me interested in watching them lose. ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”