Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: Oh! You mean like that mess last year when the Cubs had to play a one and out against Milwaukee for the Division Championship, ended up with the Wild Card and lost the one and done to the Rockies?? :x
Yep, I just think that's a waste of time and effort.
Or maybe they should just add two more teams to Major League Baseball. One for each league and then split each league into four divisions. That's what they did with the NFL. Maybe Charlotte and Las Vegas??
Now you're on to something, I like that idea. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Could be more money for the league and after all, it's always all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
Yep, I just think that's a waste of time and effort.
Or maybe they should just add two more teams to Major League Baseball. One for each league and then split each league into four divisions. That's what they did with the NFL. Maybe Charlotte and Las Vegas??
Now you're on to something, I like that idea. ::tu:: ::tu::
There is a shortage of quality pitching already, and has been for years. It would put about 30 more minor league pitchers (15 per team) at the MLB level. Most teams have at least one or two minor leaguers in their starting rotation already, plus a few more that are relievers. If it happens, expect to see a lot more of those 21 to 10 scores. ::barf:: JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I understand your point Ken. Would you rather cut it down by two teams (there are a couple out there that are not doing well attendance wise. Baltimore and Miami spring to mind.) and split the Leagues into two divisions, East and West, seven teams in each? For me, just about any solution that get's rid of the one and done works. I suppose you could change it to three and done. That only lengthens the season by two games, plus it's more $$$$ in the coffers. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I could go for that but the players union would never allow it. I’d be for returning to a shorter season so the World Series would not have to be played by players wearing long underwear and fans wearing overcoats! But I’m old school - give me a 1-0 pitchers dual where every pitch could be the turning point of the game.

But the idiots in the seats today would probably still be doing “the wave” anyway. ::facepalm:: ::barf:: Watch the damn game!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

That's right Ozzie, after todays win over the Phillies the Braves magic number is down to ONE!
My favorite Braves player right there...
image.jpeg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm watching the Cubs vs Cards on FOX and with the FOX play by play guys that are on there, I feel like I'm watching a Cards home game. Geez Louise. I had to turn the sound off.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Agree 100% Ken! Nothing better, IMO, than a well pitched 1-0 game. Way too much emphasis on the HR in todays game, a home run is nothing more than a long fly ball. Give me a liner in the gap with a runner on first for excitement.
And quit messing with the rules to make it a "better" game! Ok, stepping down off the soapbox.
Seem to be a few Braves fans here, I like the Braves alright, glad the ex-Tiger Markakis is doing well.
Ike
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: The Reds won a season series last night against some team they hadn't beat for a long time. ftd ::clapping:: ::poke::
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:I'm watching the Cubs vs Cards on FOX and with the FOX play by play guys that are on there, I feel like I'm watching a Cards home game. Geez Louise. I had to turn the sound off.
Hadn't noticed that Jerry. I'm kinda enjoying it so far! ::sotb::

Seriously though, as far as the regular season is concerned things are pretty much settled except for the NL Central. That's where the drama is, with three teams within 3 games of one another. And two of them, the Cards and Cubs playing each other 7 times including tonight, in the final 10 games. It'll be very interesting to see if one or the other of them takes charge, or if they just beat each other up while the Brewers slide into the division lead. ::hmm::

You might be enjoying it more now Jerry - Cubbies are making it interesting. They're in position to walk it off if things fall their way!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

rangerbluedog wrote:That's right Ozzie, after todays win over the Phillies the Braves magic number is down to ONE!
My favorite Braves player right there...
image.jpeg
Things are looking pretty sweet down here in the Big A Blue! ::nod:: ::ds::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I'm watching the Cubs vs Cards on FOX and with the FOX play by play guys that are on there, I feel like I'm watching a Cards home game. Geez Louise. I had to turn the sound off.
Hadn't noticed that Jerry. I'm kinda enjoying it so far! ::sotb::

Seriously though, as far as the regular season is concerned things are pretty much settled except for the NL Central. That's where the drama is, with three teams within 3 games of one another. And two of them, the Cards and Cubs playing each other 7 times including tonight, in the final 10 games. It'll be very interesting to see if one or the other of them takes charge, or if they just beat each other up while the Brewers slide into the division lead. ::hmm::

You might be enjoying it more now Jerry - Cubbies are making it interesting. They're in position to walk it off if things fall their way!

Ken
And you may have noticed, things did not fall their way. :x
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Exciting game Jerry. Cubs couldn’t solve Flaherty but neither has anyone else lately. They made it interesting at the end though. Still lots of baseball left. Was glad Carpenter got the winning hit. He’s a good kid from this area, his mom and dad are both school teachers.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Of course I know they can't but I would rather see them win every game. When they lose, I can do without the drama.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Over the next few days, 3 of the worst teams in the NL, Marlins, Reds, Pirates; and 3 of the worst teams in the AL, Tigers, White Sox, and Royals will all have their say in the outcome of the playoff races. They are all playing contenders, and the bottom dwellers would love to ruin some ones season. The way Don Mattingly has his team playing is some thing to see, with 101 losses already, they are stealing bases, taking the extra base and stealing runs. They run hard out of the box, and concede nothing. The way all teams should play all the time, actually.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nats are in for at least 1 game, I'll have a Galway Hooker to celebrate! ::ds::
Attachments
Screenshot_20190925-080015.png
Copy of image000000_15.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

An awful lot of folks had counted out the Nats, so, a celebration is in order. You had me scrambling tho, looking up Galway Hooker. Quite a success story, and available in the states, huh? At least in your area, I will be long gone and my wife will have sold all my knives b4 it makes it to S Illinois! Haha
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Waukonda wrote:An awful lot of folks had counted out the Nats, so, a celebration is in order. You had me scrambling tho, looking up Galway Hooker. Quite a success story, and available in the states, huh? At least in your area, I will be long gone and my wife will have sold all my knives b4 it makes it to S Illinois! Haha
Ha! It's an Irish beer named after a fishing boat that is prominent in Galway. Clever marketing I guess, the beer was pretty good. The Nats were basically DONE a month and a half into the season and it was looking dismal, but they knuckled down and turned it around. Can they beat the Dodgers and Braves? Probably not, but at least they're keeping it interesting. I just hope the Post Season logos that will get painted on the field get more than a 1 game look, that's IF they can keep the Wild Card lead. ::pray::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

D-backs and Cardinals played a marathon 19 inning game that started yesterday and ended today. Snakes eventually won it 3-2 after nearly 8 hours of baseball! There were a combined 48 strike-outs in the game. I hung in there through 11 with the game tied at 1 each but went to bed. ::tired::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Marty Brenneman is retiring after 46 years of calling play by play for the Reds will miss his broadcasts. Maybe he could take his windbag son Thom with him, loved Marty and Joe and later Cowboy, can't stand Thom and his blathering that goes on and on. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Didn't realize he was retiring,I always liked listening to he and Joe Nuxhall during my time in the Cincinnati area and the Big Red Machine teams of the mid-to-late 70s n fact, wherever I lived I was fortunate to have great announcers to listen to. Growing Up it was Harry Caray and Jack buck with the Cardinals and then I was in Cincinnati for a while and then on to Michigan when the great Ernie Harwell worked for the Tigers.
Ike
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The only regular season drama remaining comes down to the final day of the season - the NL central division championship. Saint Louis has a one game lead over Milwaukee going into the final game. Both teams have lost their last two games - neither has been able to seal the deal in the final week.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Cubs were swept 4 straight at home by the Cards. Now they have a chance to return the favor and force a 163rd game between St. Louis and Milwaukee (if the Brew Crew & the Cubs can win today). For me, it would be poetic justice and cosmic payback for what the Cubs had to go through last year (yes, we Cubs fans have a looong memory). The way things go, it's probably not going to happen though. We'll know more about it around 5:00 or 6:00 this afternoon. Go Cubs. Lay down Rockies.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They announced yesterday before the game that Joe Maddon and the Cubs have parted ways. Looks like it might be time to rebuild. Again.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

With the playoff field finally set, here are my thoughts FWIW. My head says the favorite is the Lastros. On paper they have the best team top to bottom, with three legitimate aces (Verlander, Cole, and Greinke) in their rotation, excellent hitters and defense. No real weaknesses anywhere. Bullpen is good but not great.

Dodgers are probably close to Houston.
I won't be rooting for either Houston (can't stand them ::barf:: ) or the Dodgers (meh ::undecided:: )

Sentimental favorites for me are the Cardinals. I'm a lifelong fan who grew up idolizing Stan Musial, Ken Boyer, Bob Gibson etc. Then if all else fails I'll be for the Twins, for the sake of Nelson Cruz. He was a great player for the Rangers and I wish he was still with them. Such is today's game - unfortunately players seldom stay with one team for long.. ::teary_eyes::

Who's your pick, and why?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”