Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are There Any BASEBALL Fans On The Forum?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:34 pm I recall all that very well. It finally led to free agency for players after several more dates in court. The first official free agent contract was Andy Messersmitt. A 3 year deal with the Atlanta Braves for the unheard of sum of 1 million dollars.
And it led to Nolan Ryan signing a contract years later on Nov 19, 1979 that made him the first professional athlete to make $1 million year. Now $35-40 million a year is not that uncommon.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:34 pm I recall all that very well. It finally led to free agency for players after several more dates in court. The first official free agent contract was Andy Messersmitt. A 3 year deal with the Atlanta Braves for the unheard of sum of 1 million dollars.

Garrett Cole makes $36 mil and Max Scherzer $43.3 mil.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm
And it led to Nolan Ryan signing a contract years later on Nov 19, 1979 that made him the first professional athlete to make $1 million year. Now $35-40 million a year is not that uncommon.
The unfortunate result, from a fan perspective, is that most good and great players (like Nolan Ryan for example) become financial nomads, “hired guns” playing for the highest bidder. The days of a Hall of Fame caliber player like Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, etc spending their entire career with one franchise are pretty much gone. Having grown up in an era where that was the norm it seems to me that long-term bond developed between a team’s fans and a star player is missing from todays game. Today we get a mix of allegiance to a team versus in some cases allegiance to a player regardless for which team they are playing.

I was a fan of Curt Flood when he played for the Cardinals. It’s sad he risked it all for his principles but realized essentially nothing from his sacrifice. IIRC despite having played 153 games hitting .285 and winning a Gold Glove the prior year, after the lawsuit he was “blackballed” by the owners and played only 13 more games. Today’s multimillionaire players owe that all to him.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:14 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:24 pm
The unfortunate result, from a fan perspective, is that most good and great players (like Nolan Ryan for example) become financial nomads, “hired guns” playing for the highest bidder. The days of a Hall of Fame caliber player like Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, etc spending their entire career with one franchise are pretty much gone. Having grown up in an era where that was the norm it seems to me that long-term bond developed between a team’s fans and a star player is missing from todays game. Today we get a mix of allegiance to a team versus in some cases allegiance to a player regardless for which team they are playing.

I was a fan of Curt Flood when he played for the Cardinals. It’s sad he risked it all for his principles but realized essentially nothing from his sacrifice. IIRC despite having played 153 games hitting .285 and winning a Gold Glove the prior year, after the lawsuit he was “blackballed” by the owners and played only 13 more games. Today’s multimillionaire players owe that all to him.

Ken
Not to be knit picky, but Aaron played his last 2 seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers in the AL to take advantage of the DH rule and extend his career. I attended a double header in Milwaukee County Stadium on July 22, 1975 and Aaron was a pinch hitter in game 1 and the DH in game 2. He of course played the majority of his career with the Milwaukee/ Atlanta Braves. Interestingly enough, Harmon Killebrew was also extending his career as a DH in game 1, playing his last year with the Royals.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

No offense meant to anyone, but to me Babe Ruth is still the homerun King.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some info from the Hot Stove League. Reportedly at the MLB/Player’s Union negotiations this week agreement has been reached on at least three things.

One: The designated hitter will permanently go universal.

Two: Top-level free agents will no longer be tied to draft-pick compensation.

And three: The playoff field should expand, but it hasn’t been decided whether the playoffs will increase to 14 or to 16 teams.

All three favor the players. As usual, it’s all about the money. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::dang:: Already costs an arm and leg to go to the ballpark now! To pay to watch these overpaid crybabies should be against the law! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I really dislike the use of the DH.
The number of playoff teams should be smaller not larger.
Are they going to keep the stupid rule starting a runner on second in extra innings?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

fergusontd wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:34 pm ::dang:: Already costs an arm and leg to go to the ballpark now! To pay to watch these overpaid crybabies should be against the law! ftd
I understand your feelings ferg. But it’s kinda like the guy that was sitting next to me at a Rangers game. He worked for Discount Tire, fixing flats and changing tires. He was griping loudly about overpaid baseball players. After listening to him rant for a couple of innings, I told him when he could get 25,000 people every day to pay an average of $25 each to watch him change a tire, he could probably make several million dollars a year too. He said “now that you put it that way, maybe they aren’t overpaid after all!” :lol:

I don’t see Spring Training starting on time. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:19 pm
fergusontd wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:34 pm ::dang:: Already costs an arm and leg to go to the ballpark now! To pay to watch these overpaid crybabies should be against the law! ftd
I understand your feelings ferg. But it’s kinda like the guy that was sitting next to me at a Rangers game. He worked for Discount Tire, fixing flats and changing tires. He was griping loudly about overpaid baseball players. After listening to him rant for a couple of innings, I told him when he could get 25,000 people every day to pay an average of $25 each to watch him change a tire, he could probably make several million dollars a year too. He said “now that you put it that way, maybe they aren’t overpaid after all!” :lol:

I don’t see Spring Training starting on time. ::dang::

Ken

Just adding, if the money doesn't go to the players it goes to the owners. And do any of them really need MORE money?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In the end, it's all about the money.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Almost missed it - Nolan Ryan turned 75 years old today. One of the best! Happy birthday Nolan!

Ken
Attachments
Teaching Robin Ventura the ropes
Teaching Robin Ventura the ropes
Still pitching after being hit in the face by a Bo Jackson line drive
Still pitching after being hit in the face by a Bo Jackson line drive
Age 44 - pitches 7th career no hitter
Age 44 - pitches 7th career no hitter
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Baseball is Back! I’m ready for some baseball. ::nod:: Here’s a summary of the new agreement: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2022-season-faq

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm glad to see the player on 2nd base when the game goes into extra innings go away. Sorry to see the National League adopt the Designated Hitter. It remains to be seen how some other rule changes will work out. (Larger bases?? Hmmm. What's that all about??)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think the DH is a crowd pleaser in that some older, close to retirement stars can extend their careers a bit. Who wouldn't want to see their old tried and true 1 more year on the team? But I like watching pitchers bat too, they should make it optional, a manager's decision.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nothing in the rule that prohibits pitchers from batting. But it will be very rare, only when it’s unavoidable or when the game is a “laugher”. The universal DH was inevitable. Players want it because it means there’s an opportunity for careers to be extended (making more money). Teams want it because they have a lot of money invested in pitchers - why risk the pitcher being injured while batting, running bases, etc? Follow the money.

I don’t like it because it takes some of the strategy out of the game. But I like 1-0 pitcher’s duels too. The modern day fan wants home runs, high scoring and lots of “action”. There is little appreciation for the cerebral part of the game because most don’t understand it. Baseball is widely criticized by fans who know little to nothing about the game. Not many watch games for strategy, small ball, sacrifice bunts, hit-and-run and so on. I read similar crap from sports writers who should know better (but usually don’t - they’re from the same mold as most fans).

Most if not all the changes made or proposed, other than monetary (like larger bases, pitch clocks, universal DH, etc) are designed to put more offense into games, and speed them up. I know several guys who love watching golf on television - same guys say baseball is boring and too slow! ::dang:: Interesting fact - if you clock the amount of time the ball is in play in MLB and NFL games, you get about the same number of minutes.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::facepalm:: With gas and food sky rocketing and now with a very laughable baseball contract you'll have to take out a loan just to go to a game. ftd
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

fergusontd wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:55 am ::facepalm:: With gas and food sky rocketing and now with a very laughable baseball contract you'll have to take out a loan just to go to a game. ftd
Maybe. I don’t think the ticket prices have changed. At least not for this season anyway. Still gonna be on television at same price too. Don’t know about other teams but you can get into the Ranger’s games for $10, sometimes $6 or less if they’re having a promotion. Parking is $15 per vehicle. So for a family of four, that’s $55 assuming you don’t buy concessions. You can bring in your own food and a bottle of water per person. Really good seat in second level between home and 1st or 3rd base is $35 a seat.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:29 am Nothing in the rule that prohibits pitchers from batting. But it will be very rare, only when it’s unavoidable or when the game is a “laugher”. The universal DH was inevitable. Players want it because it means there’s an opportunity for careers to be extended (making more money). Teams want it because they have a lot of money invested in pitchers - why risk the pitcher being injured while batting, running bases, etc? Follow the money.

I don’t like it because it takes some of the strategy out of the game. But I like 1-0 pitcher’s duels too. The modern day fan wants home runs, high scoring and lots of “action”. There is little appreciation for the cerebral part of the game because most don’t understand it. Baseball is widely criticized by fans who know little to nothing about the game. Not many watch games for strategy, small ball, sacrifice bunts, hit-and-run and so on. I read similar crap from sports writers who should know better (but usually don’t - they’re from the same mold as most fans).

Most if not all the changes made or proposed, other than monetary (like larger bases, pitch clocks, universal DH, etc) are designed to put more offense into games, and speed them up. I know several guys who love watching golf on television - same guys say baseball is boring and too slow! ::dang:: Interesting fact - if you clock the amount of time the ball is in play in MLB and NFL games, you get about the same number of minutes.

Ken
Seems all managers have adopted the Earl Weaver offensive strategy, sit back and wait for the 3 run homer. Earl was using this approach in the 1960s.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::facepalm:: And again the Reds are giving up on the 2022 season! Trading off the team's good players before the season starts. ftd
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am
fergusontd wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:55 am ::facepalm:: With gas and food sky rocketing and now with a very laughable baseball contract you'll have to take out a loan just to go to a game. ftd
Maybe. I don’t think the ticket prices have changed. At least not for this season anyway. Still gonna be on television at same price too. Don’t know about other teams but you can get into the Ranger’s games for $10, sometimes $6 or less if they’re having a promotion. Parking is $15 per vehicle. So for a family of four, that’s $55 assuming you don’t buy concessions. You can bring in your own food and a bottle of water per person. Really good seat in second level between home and 1st or 3rd base is $35 a seat.

Ken
Here you go ferg, it’s not just the Rangers that have $6 seats. And with this deal for your $6 you get a seat plus $6 worth of concessions or merchandise vouchers! http://www.cardsconclave.com/2022/03/15 ... sh-sale-2/ ::tu:: If you don’t like that you just don’t like baseball. (Whether you can find anything that costs $6 or less is another story.) :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:09 am

Ken
Here you go ferg, it’s not just the Rangers that have $6 seats. And with this deal for your $6 you get a seat plus $6 worth of concessions or merchandise vouchers! http://www.cardsconclave.com/2022/03/15 ... sh-sale-2/ ::tu:: If you don’t like that you just don’t like baseball. (Whether you can find anything that costs $6 or less is another story.) :lol:

Ken
::woot:: Ken, I'm a Cincinnati Reds fan sometimes they offer specials and I'd love to go to the games but anymore I can't walk that far from parking to the gate. I'm just as content to watch them on TV. ftd
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I was surprised Fast Freddy left Hotlanta, but I guess they were making room. ::shrug::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

This year’s first Spring Training games started today. It’s on! ::ds::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well we may have lost Freddie Freeman but we we got an Atlanta home boy to replace him and he ain't no slouch. Matt olson is a player and with Acuna jr. Coming back I like our chances. Let's get it on. ::ds::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”