AAPK Movie Matinee

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
wlf

Re: AAPK Movie Matinee

Post by wlf »

Paladin wrote:Good post, guys. I saw The Quick and the Dead yesterday. I really like L'amour and Sam Elliot both. I watched the original Stagecoach yesterday also. Great movie.
Too long to post but Lonesome Dove is still my all time favorite.

Ray
I agree Ray. The book won the Pulitzer Prize .
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've been trying to read Lonesome Dove for the past month and just can't get into it. I haven't even made it to page 100 yet.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

jerryd6818 wrote:I've been trying to read Lonesome Dove for the past month and just can't get into it. I haven't even made it to page 100 yet.
Jerry,
It is a book that just caught or captured my imagination from the very start. Also, it was a book that I hated to see end. Maybe it is just the cowboy in me but it sure worked for me. Needless to say, I loved the 'Texas bull'. I liked and identified with the characters for the most part.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
wlf

Post by wlf »

jerryd6818 wrote:I've been trying to read Lonesome Dove for the past month and just can't get into it. I haven't even made it to page 100 yet.
That's very surprising! It is an amazing book.Watch the movie.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tommy Lee Jones when he was younger. It's not great but it's okay. Some crude language.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-nllkJzYNU[/youtube]
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

jerryd6818 wrote:It is a book that just caught or captured my imagination from the very start. Also, it was a book that I hated to see end. Maybe it is just the cowboy in me but it sure worked for me. Needless to say, I loved the 'Texas bull'. I liked and identified with the characters for the most part.
A few years ago I spent two days reading Lonesome Dove, couldn't put it down and also hated to see it end. Hated the ending, though, but I guess it was a lot more realistic than the happy ending I would have liked to see.

Dan
Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Lonesome Dove is one of the best, if not the best, books I've ever read. Fortunately the movie is almost verbatim from the book. One of the very few Hollywood didn't screw up. Jerry D., if you can't get into the book, get the movie. (Warning though, it's a mini-series so I think it's about 8 hours long.) As a Texas history buff I can tell you although it's classified as fiction, the book is a composite of actual events and real people, probably the most realistic fictional representation of what frontier Texas Rangers were really like. Several scenarios from the novel can be found described in the non-fiction book The Texas Rangers, 100 Years of Frontier Defense by Walter Prescott Webb. Dan, as for the ending it's based on actual events from the lives of Texas cattlemen Charles Goodnight and his business partner Oliver Loving. (Spoiler alert) ::woot:: Loving was mortally wounded by Comanche Indians in New Mexico while on a cattle drive, eventually died from gangrene, was temporarily buried until Goodnight could complete the cattle drive and subsequently bring Loving's body back to Texas for burial as Loving had requested. Like most things in the book, McMurtry borrowed the actual event and wove it into his story.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Watching The Sting with Robert Redford and Paul Newman tonight on TCM. Reminded me of the great movies Paul Newman made, including of course Cool Hand Luke, and Hud (based on another Larry McMurtry novel). IMHO Newman's best movie though is one not many know about, Nobody's Fool.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Watching The Sting with Robert Redford and Paul Newman tonight on TCM. Reminded me of the great movies Paul Newman made, including of course Cool Hand Luke, and Hud (based on another Larry McMurtry novel). IMHO Newman's best movie though is one not many know about, Nobody's Fool.

Ken
"Cool Hand Luke" is hard to beat Ken,but I agree with you about "Nobody's Fool",it's maybe his best role and movie. I absolutely loved it. I didn't know "Hud" was based on a McMurtry novel,thanks.

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

"The War" with Kevin Kostner,Elijah Wood, Mare Willingham, is a simply terrific movie. Funny,sad and heart wrenching,lots of characters,great. I loved the junkyard kids (Lipnickis),great ,great movie."Phew smells like a butt" :) :) one of the Lipnickis(?) You have to watch. Terrific.....

Lyle
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I think my favorite Paul Newman role would be as Frank Galvin in The Verdict. This was a top notch portrayal of a heavy drinking, alcoholic I guess, plantiff attorney.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree, Ray. The Verdict is one of his best.

Lyle, Hud is based on McMurtry's first novel, Horseman, Pass By. The movie was good, the book is better. Ironically, Hud is not the main character in the book.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Cannot post a YouTube link, as the movie is relatively new.

I watched Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Scissy Spacek and Lucas Black (the kid from Sling Blade) in Down Low, from 2012.

Takes place in the 30's.

Robert Duvall at his best.

It's on Netflix now.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I love the scene in Cool Hand Luke when his mother has died, his brother brings him his only worldly possession, a banjo, and tells him to never come back home.

He's in prison, on a chain gang, his mother has died, his brother has disowned him.

He takes his banjo into the barracks, sits down on his bunk, starts strumming his banjo and with tears streaming down his face, sings the only "Spiritual" song he knows:

Plastic Jesus

I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my Plastic Jesus sittin' on the dashboard of my car.
Comes in colors bright and pleasant. Glows in the dark cause He's irridescent . Take Him with you when you travel far.
Get yourself a Sweet Madonna, dressed in rhinestones, standin' on a pedestal of abalone shell.
Going ninety and I ain't scary, long as I got The Virgin Mary assurin' me that I won't go to Hell

Many thought that was meant to be funny, sacrilegious and irreverent.

It wasn't.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's been so long since I've seen the movie, I only remember bits and pieces of it. Over the years, I thought these were the words that went with that tune.

"I don't care if it rains and freezes
As long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin" on the dashboard of my car.

I don't care if it's wet and muddy
Long as I got my plastic buddy
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxHSV5sZ0oI[/youtube]
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I was close with the words.

Another good scene in that movie is short, but nice. It's Harry Dean Stanton, an accomplished musician, sitting on the stoop on family visitation day, playing guitar and singing Just A Closer Walk With Thee.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I was, at one time, a big fan of Martin Sheen's, before I became aware of his political views.

Haven't watched anything of his in years, until today.

One of my Special Forces friends, hardly a liberal, recommended a movie written, directed and co-produced by Emilio Estevez, Martin Sheen's son, and starring Martin Sheen and Estevez.

Very good movie.

I recommend it.

"The Way", from 2010.

Currently on Netflix.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
wlf

Post by wlf »

I liked "Down Low" Charlie,had watched it before you posted.. I like most everything Duvall does. I still recommend "The War".

Watch "The Best Of Me" with your wife.

Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:"The Way", from 2010.

Charlie Noyes
Just finished watching it. Very good. Thanks for the recommendation.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My wife and I just returned from seeing Darkest Hour. Excellent movie. We went with three other couples. It was unanimous everyone thought the movie was excellent. It will be a gross injustice if Gary Oldman doesn't win an Oscar for his portrayal of Churchill.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:My wife and I just returned from seeing Darkest Hour.
That's one that has caught my attention lately. But, I rarely go out to see a movie.

Re-watched Gran Torino recently. A poignant film, and one of Eastwood's best, imo.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I saw The Hitman's Bodyguard a few months ago. A fun movie with lots of car chases, gunfire and explosions! It certainly won't be selected for any awards but it's a fun movie anyway.
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

WESTERNS: Two big favorites, The Outlaw Jody Wales and Unforgiven, both by Eastwood.

Although considered a classic, I have big problems with High Noon. You'll recall the townspeople refused to help Cooper. Even his deputy ran away. Historically the towns folk always fought when they knew a bank robbery was in progress. The James gang was terminated by citizens. The Dalton gang was wiped out when they tried to rob two banks simultaneously in Coffeyville Kansas. In both cases men ran to the hardware store and grabbed rifles. No snowflakes in those days.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A bit of a resurrection of this thread.

Spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon watching The Magnificent Seven, the original with Yule Brenner, Steve McQueen, Eli Wallach...
Believe it or not, it was the first time I've seen it. I don't watch a lot of movies. I picked it up at the library; may have to purchase a copy.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”