THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Eustace

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by Eustace »

I've always wondered about the people who ordered a pizza. It's so easy to make it.
Attachments
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have been making this side dish at Thanksgiving for many years; it seems to be well-received by guests. I always hope for leftovers so sometimes I make a double batch.
INDIAN WILD RICE

One half cup wild rice, cooked in three quarters cup beer, one half cup water, and some salt, for 40 to 60 minutes, until it looks right

4 slices bacon, chopped and fried to chewy rendered state (not crisp, aka ruined), set aside for later

One cup chopped mushrooms, one cup shredded carrot and half cup (or more) chopped onion, sweated out to taste in some or all of the bacon drippings from above

Some cooked long grain rice, such as Basmati, to dilute the above ingredients

Add everything together and heat through, adjusting seasoning to your taste. Most of the time I would at least add some salt, and probably some of my home-mixed Cajun seasoning, which does not have salt in it.

Some people might like to add some pecans or almonds, change the seasoning ideas, and maybe add celery. I don’t. I always make a double recipe, and sometimes more.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

delete
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Eustace wrote:Gyuvetch
Easy and very tasty dish with many variants in ingredients.

1. Meat - in this case pork but can beef, chicken ...
2. Potatoes
3. Eggplant
4. Summer squash
5. Mushrooms
6. Celery
7. Carrot
8. Parsnip
9. Parsley
10. Onions
11. Garlic
12. Tomatoes (canned)
13. Peas (canned)
14. Peppers
15. chilly
16. Black pepper, paprika, salt, oregano
17. Sunflower oil
18. Maybe I have forgotten something that I cut inside. You can add green beans and okra.
Everything is cut and put in a clay pot with lid. Bake in the oven at a lower temperature for 2-3 hours.
Eustace us that crock pot called a Baeckoffe or is that just in France? They are great for baking.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

doglegg wrote:

2. Potatoes
3. Eggplant
4. Summer squash
5. Mushrooms
6. Celery
7. Carrot
8. Parsnip
9. Parsley
10. Onions
11. Garlic
12. Tomatoes (canned)
13. Peas (canned)
14. Peppers
15. chilly
17. Sunflower oil
18. Maybe I have forgotten something that I cut inside. You can add green beans and okra.
Everything is cut and put in a clay pot with lid. Bake in the oven at a lower temperature for 2-3 hours.
Eustace us that crock pot called a Baeckoffe or is that just in France? They are great for baking.
I saw what is Baeckeoffe in the net. Yes, the same type. In Bulgaria, different forms of crock pots have been used for cooking for centuries. In the past are buried in the coals of the hearth.
Here is a recipe for beans from the past:
Hajduk beans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajduk
Since the hajduks did not have electric stoves, they lit the fires and put the beans to boil in a pot. They threw the first water and put the second one. After boiling, they threw the second one and put a third water. And as a boil, there were already enough coals so they threw the pot with the beans and put the lamb to bake.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Eustace wrote:
doglegg wrote:

2. Potatoes
3. Eggplant
4. Summer squash
5. Mushrooms
6. Celery
7. Carrot
8. Parsnip
9. Parsley
10. Onions
11. Garlic
12. Tomatoes (canned)
13. Peas (canned)
14. Peppers
15. chilly
17. Sunflower oil
I saw what is Baeckeoffe in the net. Yes, the same type. In Bulgaria, different forms of crock pots have been used for cooking for centuries. In the past are buried in the coals of the hearth.
Here is a recipe for beans from the past:
Hajduk beans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajduk
Since the hajduks did not have electric stoves, they lit the fires and put the beans to boil in a pot. They threw the first water and put the second one. After boiling, they threw the second one and put a third water. And as a boil, there were already enough coals so they threw the pot with the beans and put the lamb to bake.
Thanks, my daughter in law and grace is from Germany and uses baeckoffe in lots of her cooking. My mom used to throw out the first water when preparing beans, she always said that it made the beans less gassy. ::nod::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I am surprised at the extremely low activity in the topic. In Bulgaria, such a topic is always popular, no matter what the focus of the forum is. It seems true that we know about Americans - that eat a Convenience food in microwave :D
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Now Eustace that isn't true of all of us in America. For example, we just got home from church and we will be fixing a home cooked meal of boiled cabbage, grits and fried venison heart. :) Can't get any of that to cook very well in the microwave. I do enjoy your contributions to this part of the forum. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

treefarmer wrote:Now Eustace that isn't true of all of us in America. For example, we just got home from church and we will be fixing a home cooked meal of boiled cabbage, grits and fried venison heart. :) Can't get any of that to cook very well in the microwave. I do enjoy your contributions to this part of the forum. ::handshake::
Treefarmer
Do not forget to share the recipe and pictures in the topic :D
I really enjoy what you say. Here in Bulgaria really paying attention to food and cooking at home. Especially I am totally opposed to the concept of fast food.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Eustace,
I believe there are already some posts concerning the venison heart here on the forum, not necessarily in the cookbook section. Seems like there may be one when Scott and Jerryd passed around an Estwing knife for review, I'll try and look it up. If I'm blessed with another deer we'll do a tutorial on preparing and cooking the heart, hopefully it wont be shot through the heart like my grandson did at Thanksgiving.
Treefarmer
Found it. Here's the posts about the Estwing knife and in it there is a picture of it slicing a deer heart. (page 5 shows the heart)
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=49756&hilit=estwing

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Thank you Treefarmer!

Pork cutlets baked in oven with onion, soy sauce and wine. Salt, pepper and a glass of hot water, that's it.
Attachments
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

7 Bulgarian food classics you cannot afford to miss
https://www.kashkaval-tourist.com/7-bul ... -classics/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Eustace...those look good!!!! I'll have to look some up, and try them out. I'm sure it won't be as good as home-grown, in Bulgaria!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Doc B wrote:Eustace...those look good!!!! I'll have to look some up, and try them out. I'm sure it won't be as good as home-grown, in Bulgaria!

Recipe for musaka and tarator are on the 6th page. I would also show the recipe for shkembe chorba, but I risk you to be disgusted by the Bulgarians forever ...
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Pancakes with summer squash and cheese and garlic sauce
Attachments
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

treefarmer wrote:Now Eustace that isn't true of all of us in America. For example, we just got home from church and we will be fixing a home cooked meal of boiled cabbage, grits and fried venison heart. :) Can't get any of that to cook very well in the microwave. I do enjoy your contributions to this part of the forum. ::handshake::
Treefarmer
.......that goes for me too, Eustace!!......... ::tu:: .............the whole time I was stationed in france, I ate in the mess hall!!....lots of guys got sick eating in the French resturaunts!!............. ::td:: ..................
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Stuffed peppers
Products: rice, ground beef, peppers, carrots, onions, tomatoes, parsley, dill, oregano, paprika, pepper, salt.
Attachments
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Eustace, it wont be long and our Bell Peppers will be big enough to stuff. We really enjoy stuffed peppers and your's sound and look delicious with so many ingredients! ::tu::
Treefarmer

woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I enjoy your cooking display Eustace!! Please keep the posts coming!! :)
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Thank you friends! I will be very pleased if someone decides to try out my recipes and share impressions.

At the next POS roundtable, who gets my name, along with the knives, will receive a package with mix of Bulgarian spices :D
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

The factory where I work, closed for two weeks for disinfestation. (and also to allow people to go to sea without taking sick leave :lol: ) And since I already went on vacation, I put drywall in the toilet all day. My wife got home from work and said she was very tired and hungry, so I quickly made some warm sandwiches. Bread, olive oil, tomato, Bulgarian raw dried salami "Луканка", mozzarella, yellow cheese, hot pepper, oregano. Here it is.
Attachments
IMG_0804.JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Now those look good!!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Steve Warden wrote:Now those look good!!!

DITTO!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Eustace If I were a rich man I'd bring you to the US and put you to work as my personal chef. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Eustace wrote: I put drywall in the toilet all day. My wife got home from work and said she was very tired and hungry,
This is very kind. A true caring husband and part of what good food is all about. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”