THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Eustace

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by Eustace »

Thanck you, guys! I'm glad you like my recipes!
philco wrote:Eustace If I were a rich man I'd bring you to the US and put you to work as my personal chef. ::tu::
Phil, if I become rich, I'll come visit you, and I'll cook some Bulgarian dishes. ::handshake::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:o ::drool:: ::drool::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Okay, looking for your best salsa recipe.
I've tried it twice, years ago. Was always too much liquid, so I gave up.
I do like the heat and have plenty of home grown jalapenos, along with some home grown tomatoes, to work with

So whatcha got?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Kyopolou
Original recipe:
Roasted eggplant, garlic, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, salt. All this is ground into a pate with a blender, mixer or other kitchen appliance. My grandmother knocked it in the pounder.
Roasted peppers may be added, and other vegetable oil or mayonnaise may be used instead of olive oil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyopolou
Despite its not very pleasant appearance, it is incredibly delicious.
Attachments
kiopoolu3.jpg
kiopoolu.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Eustace, My friend, I can't compete with the wonderful looking dishes you keep sharing with us but I though I'd share a little left over delicacy. At least it's a delicacy at our house. What you see are two boneless venison chops (back strap), left over from Sunday dinner. We discovered several years ago how good the chilled venison tasted. Sliced cold, then lightly salted, goes good with anything. You'll notice two rows, my wife likes the slightly crusty outer pieces and I enjoy the rare inner slices, kinda' like the old nursery rhyme, Jack Spratt could eat no fat....... :)
Treefarmer
Left over, cold sliced, lightly salted venison chops.
Left over, cold sliced, lightly salted venison chops.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

This is as simple and easy as it gets, (as well as tasty), for squirrel, especially for a tough old Fox squirrel. Season the meat with your choice of rub, I use a mixture, and drop in the crock with some onion chunks and cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper, dish it up 4 or 5 hours later.
Attachments
20191002_084459.jpg
Finished product...lacking only a side of some TripleF fried potatoes
Finished product...lacking only a side of some TripleF fried potatoes
Ike
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That does look good, thanks for the recipe, will use it on some of the slow cooking braising meat we get over here. :wink: ::drool:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote:This is as simple and easy as it gets, (as well as tasty), for squirrel, especially for a tough old Fox squirrel. Season the meat with your choice of rub, I use a mixture, and drop in the crock with some onion chunks and cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper, dish it up 4 or 5 hours later.
How do i cook triple F fried potato's? They do sound good.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Cudgee, I should have shed more light on those in my original post. I was referring to a post by Scott, back towards the beginning of this Cookbook, where he made some awesome looking potatoes. I have yet to try his method but I can't get it out of my head and today as I was dishing up my squirrel, I was thinking how some of those would be a great complement to what was on my plate. I thought TripleF Fried potatoes had a nice ring to it.
Ike
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote:Cudgee, I should have shed more light on those in my original post. I was referring to a post by Scott, back towards the beginning of this Cookbook, where he made some awesome looking potatoes. I have yet to try his method but I can't get it out of my head and today as I was dishing up my squirrel, I was thinking how some of those would be a great complement to what was on my plate. I thought TripleF Fried potatoes had a nice ring to it.
Thanks, i will have a hunt, you have a good weekend. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 pm This is as simple and easy as it gets, (as well as tasty), for squirrel, especially for a tough old Fox squirrel. Season the meat with your choice of rub, I use a mixture, and drop in the crock with some onion chunks and cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper, dish it up 4 or 5 hours later.
Trying your recipe today with some braising beef i got from my butcher, it is already starting to waft out of the crock pot after only 1/2 hour. Hope mine comes out as good as yours. ::suspense::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I like to break the cloves apart from a bulb of garlic and cut the connecting end off and crush it out of the peels.
I put them in an oven proof container and throw in as much butter as will just about cover them and some salt.
I put this in my convection oven at 350 degrees for two hours. You could probably use less time. I like mine well roasted.
It may seem like a lot of butter but it really isn't when you scrape some off the top for a nice roasted garlic flavor for whatever.
Attachments
DSCN9899.JPG
DSCN9902.JPG
DSCN9903.JPG
DSCN9906.JPG
DSCN9909.JPG
DSCN9912.JPG
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 pm This is as simple and easy as it gets, (as well as tasty), for squirrel, especially for a tough old Fox squirrel. Season the meat with your choice of rub, I use a mixture, and drop in the crock with some onion chunks and cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper, dish it up 4 or 5 hours later.
Waukonda, thanks for your recipe, just thought i would let you know how mine went, stuffed up my first try, added water and came out too watery. So tried it with lamb shoulder chops and just threw in some extra mushrooms sliced that i had. Came up a treat. Thanks again. ::tu::
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

cudgee wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:57 am
Waukonda, thanks for your recipe, just thought i would let you know how mine went, stuffed up my first try, added water and came out too watery. So tried it with lamb shoulder chops and just threw in some extra mushrooms sliced that i had. Came up a treat. Thanks again. ::tu::
::tu:: Glad the 2nd attept turned out well, Lamb chops were probably better, and a little classier, than creek bottom squirrels.
Ike
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I tried something new to me last night and it turned out pretty good. I cleaned out a pumpkin and put it in the oven to bake (325 degrees). Then I made a pot of beef stew and let it cook about an hour while the pumpkin got partially done. I poured the stew into the pumpkin and baked it until the pumpkin was done (about 1 hour more) and ate the stew with some of the pumpkin. It ain't pumpkin pie, but it was good._____Dave
Attachments
pumpkin stew 001.JPG
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Bob chorba (Bean soup) - the absolute classic in Bulgaria.
Products:
Bob
Tomatoes (mashed tomatoes)
Celery
Carrots
Onions
Peppers
Paprika
Sunflower oil
salt
Spearmint

OК, :D you can also add smoked pork ribs.
It must be eaten with vinegar and chillies.
Attachments
bob.jpeg
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Tutmanik - something like bread with butter and cheese
Attachments
IMG_20191110_195728.jpg
IMG_20191110_201447.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man alive this thread is making me hungry! And I just ate a delicious salad, mixed greens, tomatoes, cervelat salami, and Kalamata olive/feta cheese vinaigrette. Man it was tasty!
Here's from last night:
Cervelat Salami on Golden Sunflower loaf. With yellow mustard, mayo, tomato, and mixed greens.
Attachments
041.JPG
043.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Delicious looking food folks!

Waukonda was asking how I cure my hams, just got this going last night for Thanksgiving.

I cure my hams in a brine consisting of Prauge powder, garlic, peppercorns, cloves, dark brown sugar, pickling spice, whiskey, all spice berries, kosher salt, quality maple syrup, bay leaves. Bringing to a boil and cooling back down to dissolve the sugar and salt.
aapkham1.jpg

fresh heritage Gloucetershire Old spot hind quarters, my cleaver in CPM-3V makes quick work. I inject about two cups of brine using a syringe, and will re-inject every 3-4 days for the two week cure.
aapkham3.jpg
aapkham2.jpg
aapkham4.jpg
After two weeks I will cold smoke the ham on hickory for 24 hours, and then low and slow at 225F on Fogo charcoal

Here is one coming off the hot smoke this summer,
smokehouseham.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stop it !!! Your making my mouth water. ::smirk::
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Montanaman wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm Delicious looking food folks!

Waukonda was asking how I cure my hams, just got this going last night for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for this post, looks and sounds mighty tasty! That cleaver looks "all business".
Ike
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

This is the latest iteration of my venison chili recipe. I will occasionally experiment on it and if a better results occurs, the recipe gets updated.

This recipe can also be used with cow, bison, squirrel and rabbit, but my secret "award winning" chili recipe for cook-offs is, well, secret. :mrgreen:

ZZYZZOGETON’s Venison Chili

Ingredients:
2 pounds of ground venison ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
4 Strips Bacon ½ tsp Oregano
1 Medium Onion, Chopped 2 TBSP Chili Powder
1 Can Rotel Original 3/8 tsp Thyme
½ tsp Cumin ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
½ TBSP Sugar ½ tsp Ground Cayenne/Red Pepper
2 TBLS All Purpose Flour
5 cups of Hot Water – amount used will be determined by your pot

Instructions:
Bring water to a boil. Put 2 cups of boiling water into crock pot and set crock pot on HIGH.
Fry Bacon in skillet to release bacon fat.
Add Venison and brown.
Add Chopped Onion and cook until onions clear.
Add all dry ingredients, less flour and sugar. Mix well.
Transfer venison/spice mixture to crock pot.
Add more hot water to just covering meat. Stir well. (The size of your crock pot will affect the actual amount of water required to cover, but 4 cups is more than enough for either of my 2 crock pots.)
Cover crock pot and leave set to HIGH until mixture begins to bubble/ boil. Reduce heat to LOW.
Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
Add sugar and mix well. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Mix flour and small amount of water to produce a slurry and add to mixture. Stir well.
Cook for an additional 15 minutes to thicken chili.

Makes 8 servings. How many it feeds is a different question. 8-)

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Tikvenik (Pumpkin pastry)
(Pumpkin - тиква, tikva, is the nickname of our PM, who is currently visiting your president. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said "he may be a son of a bitch, but he is our son of a bitch")
Pustry sheets 400 gr - I don't know if your stores sell these.
Pumpkin - 500 - 600 gr. - grated
1 apple - grated
1 tea cup suger
1 tea cup sunflower oil or butter
1 tea cup walnuts
vanilla, cinnamon
Attachments
IMG_20191124_171423.jpg
IMG_20191124_171509.jpg
IMG_20191124_171542.jpg
IMG_20191124_171434.jpg
IMG_20191124_172141.jpg
IMG_20191124_182813.jpg
IMG_20191124_205801.jpg
IMG_20191124_205944.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Cold sausage dipped, the other night.
Can bean/mixed frozen veggies easy meal with homemade bread.
Best 1 pot meal so far …. Mac n' cheese, canned tuna, whole bad of frozen sweet corn, and long grain rice (not shown).
Attachments
DSCN2351.JPG
DSCN2354.JPG
DSCN2366.JPG
DSCN2371.JPG
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”