THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by Colonel26 »

FRJ wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:26 pm I created this "Dip" if you want to call it that. Or it's just a very pungent appetizer.
"Pungent" is the descriptive word here.
It is made with Gorgonzola Cheese. If you don't like the blue cheeses this may not be for you.
It is also made with oil dried olives. A strong flavored olive that I wouldn't change in this recipe.
I might change to another blue cheese but I would stay with the oil cured olives. They are like no other that I have experience with.
The Gorgonzola cheese: You can buy this cheese "crumbled". I recommend you do not. Consider buying a cake of it. 8 oz.
Crumbled cheese has an additive in it that no one needs. It crumbles quite easily with a fork. You can do it.
The olives I buy are not pitted. It takes a little time but it is worth it. You can do it.
I put my knife to them to make them smaller and to be sure I have no remnants of pits.
Add these two ingredients to 16 oz. of your sour cream.
This can go anywhere from here.
I add finely and lager chopped onion.
I add fresh ground pepper and garlic powder and cayenne pepper and salt.
There you go.
Now that looks delicious!!!! I bet it would go great with a nice steak. I’m going to have to try that!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Loin steaks off the little doe I killed this year. Pan seared in butter, salt, and pepper. Cooked medium. Delicious, tender, and very mild.
B7EEBDE9-10E8-49B2-A818-AE119024D585.jpeg
26F05D94-8285-4297-A05F-3EEFCB29D7B0.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:40 pm Loin steaks off the little doe I killed this year. Pan seared in butter, salt, and pepper. Cooked medium. Delicious, tender, and very mild.

B7EEBDE9-10E8-49B2-A818-AE119024D585.jpeg26F05D94-8285-4297-A05F-3EEFCB29D7B0.jpeg
Good Venison cooked properly is fantastic, and you have nailed it there my friend. ::nod:: ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Looks very good, Bro. Wade! ::tu::
Our recipe is very similar for boneless chops about 1 1/2" thick, smoking hot peanut oil about 1/4" deep in the big black cast iron skillet, seasoned with Everglades Seasoning or just salt and pepper, one minute and 30 seconds per side (with a timer), let it rest a few minutes, can't beat it! Miss Joy used to not like rare meat but she has changed her mind in the last 20 years. :)
Venison cooked to long gets tough right quick, then it becomes suitable for stew meat if it's cooked several hours with 'taters and onions.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:40 pm Loin steaks off the little doe I killed this year. Pan seared in butter, salt, and pepper. Cooked medium. Delicious, tender, and very mild.

B7EEBDE9-10E8-49B2-A818-AE119024D585.jpeg26F05D94-8285-4297-A05F-3EEFCB29D7B0.jpeg
Yessir!
and on a fine and lovely platter too.

Ya know, with a little imagination those look like shoe soles.... but .... that's all the further I'm taking that. :mrgreen:
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Yessir!
and on a fine and lovely platter too.

Ya know, with a little imagination those look like shoe soles.... but .... that's all the further I'm taking that. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Joe, what you posted tickled me about the shoe soles. If you cook 'em too long they could be used as shoe soles! We always said that about my Mother-in-law's liver cooking, they were like shoe leather! ::woot:: In her defense she baked the best cat-head biscuits in the country. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thank you gentlemen! They were delicious.

As to the platter, Valerie picks up about all the old Corell wear she finds at the thrift stores and goodwills.
Robert E. Lee
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

We canned (cold pack) 31 pints of deer today from a little doe my uncle shot Saturday.....

Per pint--

-1 beef bouillon cube
-1 clove of garlic
-1 small slice of onion
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Then we processed for 1.5 hours in the pressure canner.

VERY DELICIOUS!!😁
Attachments
Screenshot_20201208-112522.png
Screenshot_20201208-184234.png
Screenshot_20201208-184340.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:51 pm We canned (cold pack) 31 pints of deer today from a little doe my uncle shot Saturday.....

Per pint--

-1 beef bouillon cube
-1 clove of garlic
-1 small slice of onion
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Then we processed for 1.5 hours in the pressure canner.

VERY DELICIOUS!!😁
How long will that last for, and i don't mean it going off by eating. ::doh::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

2/3 years or longer.....as long as you process it right..it's great for a quick, easy meal..make a bag of egg noodles, heat the deer meat up (I doctor it up with mushrooms and sour cream etc..) mix it together and you got a tasty, quick meal...👍
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:16 am 2/3 years or longer.....as long as you process it right..it's great for a quick, easy meal..make a bag of egg noodles, heat the deer meat up (I doctor it up with mushrooms and sour cream etc..) mix it together and you got a tasty, quick meal...👍
You have got a great system going there. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Thanks buddy! We keep it interesting here!😁👍
Ryan

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks delicious, Ryan! We freeze all the beef we butcher, wrapped in that white butchers paper. We do can a lot of tomatoes, green beans, yellow and jalapeno peppers, peaches and pears. Nothing like homemade. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Right.. always better than store bought 👍😁
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just like canned chicken, My dad loves it...
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Stanwade wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:50 pm I forgive you!! 😁👍 Next time!😁..
Next time :D The recipe has a small change. Instead of rice - noodles.
Attachments
IMG_20201214_201112.jpg
IMG_20201214_201401.jpg
IMG_20201214_201546.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Looks delicious!👍.. that would hit the spot today.. this past week has by far been the coldest yet this year.. it's 28f right now, snow storm on the way...
Ryan

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Looks good Eustace!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Thanks, guys!
In the refrigerator I keep two jars of home-made canned food - pork knuckle and pork liver, heart and kidneys.
I will soon present you my recipe for shepherd's pie, including the above products and lots of chilies. It is not for squeamish people with weak hearts and problems... at the exit.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I can't wait for that post, Eustace 👍. I love all the ingredients 😁
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

10# beef brisket..I dry rubbed it with my homemade coffee based rub..I vaccum sealed it with a half stick of butter for good measure 😉... into the hot water bath (sous vide) for 24 hours @155f... I'll post more pictures tomorrow when it's done.. can't wait... I'll finish it either in the smoker or the oven depending on a few variables tomorrow.. it will be fine either way...
Attachments
Screenshot_20201218-151405.png
Screenshot_20201218-151409.png
Screenshot_20201218-151416.png
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm 10# beef brisket..I dry rubbed it with my homemade coffee based rub..I vaccum sealed it with a half stick of butter for good measure 😉... into the hot water bath (sous vide) for 24 hours @155f... I'll post more pictures tomorrow when it's done.. can't wait... I'll finish it either in the smoker or the oven depending on a few variables tomorrow.. it will be fine either way...
Now that just make me 'ungry, in more ways then one ::sotb::.

:mrgreen:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm 10# beef brisket..I dry rubbed it with my homemade coffee based rub..I vaccum sealed it with a half stick of butter for good measure 😉... into the hot water bath (sous vide) for 24 hours @155f... I'll post more pictures tomorrow when it's done.. can't wait... I'll finish it either in the smoker or the oven depending on a few variables tomorrow.. it will be fine either way...
Excuse my ignorance, or some would say stupidity ::uc:: ::mdm:: But what is the devise you are using to keep the water at the constant temp? ::doh::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide

Cudgee--this is what I use and some information on the method (in the links above)..I cook anything from pork chops to roasts to burgers, seafood etc. this way sometimes.. comes out "like butter" as they say😁
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:55 am https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide

Cudgee--this is what I use and some information on the method (in the links above)..I cook anything from pork chops to roasts to burgers, seafood etc. this way sometimes.. comes out "like butter" as they say😁
Thank you for the links, i'm impressed. Now i really want to see pics of your final result. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”