THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Stanwade

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by Stanwade »

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/salt ... rn-chowder

I'm substituting walleye for salt cod tonight as my good buddy gave me 3 huge fillets yesterday.. I've made this several times and I used this recipe just for reference and I've made it my own... Do the same -- you will enjoy it !! this is a good
, hearty recipe anytime... two thinga I add extra are good dry sherry and roasted red peppers...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200803-175834.png
Screenshot_20200803-175853.png
Screenshot_20200803-175911.png
Screenshot_20200803-180252.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
eveled

Post by eveled »

https://youtu.be/Ku5p1CcGn70

This is the best video of Jacques Pepin making a Ballantine chicken. It’s basically deboning a chicken you spread the carcass flat stuff it then tie it up. After it’s cooked you cut it like a meatloaf. It is an amazing way to eat chicken. It’s not even hard to do. He also shows how to make “lollipops” out of the chicken wings. These are also a real treat and again not hard to do.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Lobsters fresh from Maine tonight..they were still very alive when we humanely cooked and ate them tonight!😁
Attachments
IMG_20200807_171553288.jpg
IMG_20200807_171851747.jpg
Screenshot_20200807-201156.png
Ryan

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Made a pitcher of fresh-squeezed lemonade again today. So good (and easy) I thought the recipe should be shared. Most of y’all probably know a recipe already, but here’s what I do.

Use a two-quart capacity pitcher, squeeze 6 or 7 lemons (for an interesting twist substitute an orange for one of the lemons). Should yield about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of juice. I use a lemon squeezer and filter out the seeds, but I like the pulp.
6 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar or Splenda, adjust a little more more, or less, to your taste
Grate a little lemon peel (zest) and add to the mix (Optional)

Stir well to dissolve sugar (or Splenda). Serve chilled or over ice. ::tu:: Enjoy!

That’s it. Takes about 10 minutes, most of which is squeezing the lemons. I’ve substituted reconstituted lemon juice before but for whatever reason it’s just not as good as fresh squeezed juice. Maybe it’s psychological. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Looks delicious Ken!👍 I'm going to try it...
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:28 pm Made a pitcher of fresh-squeezed lemonade again today. So good (and easy) I thought the recipe should be shared. Most of y’all probably know a recipe already, but here’s what I do.

Use a two-quart capacity pitcher, squeeze 6 or 7 lemons (for an interesting twist substitute an orange for one of the lemons). Should yield about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of juice. I use a lemon squeezer and filter out the seeds, but I like the pulp.
6 cups water
1-1/2 cups sugar or Splenda, adjust a little more more, or less, to your taste
Grate a little lemon peel (zest) and add to the mix (Optional)

Stir well to dissolve sugar (or Splenda). Serve chilled or over ice. ::tu:: Enjoy!

That’s it. Takes about 10 minutes, most of which is squeezing the lemons. I’ve substituted reconstituted lemon juice before but for whatever reason it’s just not as good as fresh squeezed juice. Maybe it’s psychological. :lol:

Ken
Not psychological, it is called reconstituted for a reason. And your recipe looks like a good old fashioned recipe. 8) ::tu::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I've always found that fresh squeezed lemon juice works way better than the bottled stuff in anything I've ever tried ...I guess fresh is just always better you know? ::shrug::
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

If anyone is looking for a simple refrigerator pickle recipe— this has been passed down many generations on my mom’s side… Simple, easy and delicious… The more garlic and dill you use, the better! And always cut the blossom end (just a slice) off of your cucumbers, I just learned that a few years ago— I guess there’s an enzyme that could remain and make your pickle soft if you don’t…And I soak in ice water not just cold water (goes without saying—sanitize EVERYTHING including the cucumbers !)..

I posted this before but I figure I'd post it again since I just made a batch last night....
Attachments
Screenshot_20200903-080817.png
Screenshot_20200903-080835.png
Screenshot_20200903-081027.png
Screenshot_20200903-081049.png
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yum yum. I do love me some refrigerator pickles.
::drool::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Smoking a 4# pork loin... cherry wood..I marinated it with Con Yeager's black nugget marinade.. it's awesome on any protein... it's a combination of sweet, salty and sour... I'll post additional pictures when it's done..you can buy their products online..I highly suggest trying any of their seasonings, spices etc...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200903-161047.png
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Done..I cooked it to 140f internal temperature..let it rest in the cooler for 15 minutes.. when we were slicing it it was like slicing into a saturated sponge! Mmmm... turned out darn near perfect...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200903-171106.png
Screenshot_20200903-171049.png
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:12 pm If anyone is looking for a simple refrigerator pickle recipe— this has been passed down many generations on my mom’s side… Simple, easy and delicious… The more garlic and dill you use, the better! And always cut the blossom end (just a slice) off of your cucumbers, I just learned that a few years ago— I guess there’s an enzyme that could remain and make your pickle soft if you don’t…And I soak in ice water not just cold water (goes without saying—sanitize EVERYTHING including the cucumbers !)..

I posted this before but I figure I'd post it again since I just made a batch last night....
That looks delicious, ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

They are!!! Try it out buddy..
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Fresh mussels steamed in white wine, butter, shallots, beer, parsley and garlic.. they were still moving when I put them in the pot...mmmmmmmmmm...😁😁
Attachments
Screenshot_20200905-150830.png
Screenshot_20200905-150814.png
Screenshot_20200905-150737.png
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:11 pm Fresh mussels steamed in white wine, butter, shallots, beer, parsley and garlic.. they were still moving when I put them in the pot...mmmmmmmmmm...😁😁
Where do you get your mussels, are they fresh or salt water?
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

We got them from a guy who goes to Maine every other week to bring back fresh seafood..I'm not sure if they were fresh water or salt water. ::shrug::
Ryan

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Stanwade wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:28 pm We got them from a guy who goes to Maine every other week to bring back fresh seafood..I'm not sure if they were fresh water or salt water. ::shrug::
::tu:: You have a good week. :)
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Last hurrah for the summer---cheesy potatoes, sweet corn cake, lobsters, bacon 🥓 wrapped scallops and fillets for our picnic today 😁😁😁...us western PA Rednecks eat good sometimes!! Mmmmmmm...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200906-173112.png
Ryan

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Stanwade wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:12 am Last hurrah for the summer---cheesy potatoes, sweet corn cake, lobsters, bacon 🥓 wrapped scallops and fillets for our picnic today 😁😁😁...us western PA Rednecks eat good sometimes!! Mmmmmmm...
Looks awesome!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Stanwade wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:12 am Last hurrah for the summer---cheesy potatoes, sweet corn cake, lobsters, bacon 🥓 wrapped scallops and fillets for our picnic today 😁😁😁...us western PA Rednecks eat good sometimes!! Mmmmmmm...
Ryan, after seeing all the recipes (and pictures) you’ve posted recently, I just thought it fair to give you warning that within the next few days you’ll be receiving paperwork to adopt me. ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I don't think Ryan would be able to afford to keep you!!! :roll: :wink:
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If I were sentenced to hang, that would make a very adequate last meal. ::woot::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am
Ryan, after seeing all the recipes (and pictures) you’ve posted recently, I just thought it fair to give you warning that within the next few days you’ll be receiving paperwork to adopt me. ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Ken

Ken--that's cool!! I'll write you off at tax time!!😁😁😁
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

philco wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:42 am
If I were sentenced to hang, that would make a very adequate last meal. ::woot::

If it ever comes to that, I'll cook for you buddy!!😁😁
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Honestly though--- I bought whole beef tenderloins ($9.99/# and I kept the trimmings for myself 😁) and cut the steaks myself...the scallops and lobsters were wholesale price ($13/lobster, the scallops were $20/# but huge and fresh)- it came to $30 a head for everything to have an awesome last big cookout for the year...
Ryan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”