THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: THE TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL AAPK COOKBOOK

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yum, yum, yummy Eustace.
Reminds me quite a bit of Ukrainian cabbage rolls, only difference is in cooking with tomato sauce (one version, my favorite).
Good stuff dude! ::tu::
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:42 am Yum, yum, yummy Eustace.
Reminds me quite a bit of Ukrainian cabbage rolls, only difference is in cooking with tomato sauce (one version, my favorite).
Good stuff dude! ::tu::
This is normal, just 1500 years ago :D the lands of today's Ukraine are part of the Old Great Bulgaria.
The recipe is almost the same, but Ukrainians and Russians use boiled cabbage leaves instead of sour cabbage. Very interesting is the option with vine leaves, but such "sarmi" I will show you in the spring.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:D
KK, can't wait to see it. ::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Did you ever leave a piece of fresh meat in the fridge, intending to cook it in a day or so? Miss Joy asked me what was I going to do with the tenderloins that are in the fridge? Duh... ::uc:: , "didn't remember them", was my reply. She said they have been in there since the 10th of the month. She threatened to feed them to the dog so I decided make us a little snack. Washed and cleaned the tenderloins, using my old muskrat then wrapped with some bacon and into the oven set on broil. Cut into medallions, she had a couple and I had to finish them off. Still have one for a snack tomorrow. These most tender of venison pieces were seasoned with Everglades seasoning, a Florida made rub, wrapped in maple smoked bacon and then into the broiler. Actually, since I'm such a nice feller, I broil them a bit longer so she can enjoy them otherwise when the bacon started to sizzle they would be ready to consume. ::tu:: They were still tender just not rare enough for my taste.
Trimmed and wrapped, ready for the broiler
Trimmed and wrapped, ready for the broiler
Broiled and ready for the paper plate.
Broiled and ready for the paper plate.
1st cut with the old 77OT
1st cut with the old 77OT
How do y'all like my presentation on a paper plate?
How do y'all like my presentation on a paper plate?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:00 am Did you ever leave a piece of fresh meat in the fridge, intending to cook it in a day or so? Miss Joy asked me what was I going to do with the tenderloins that are in the fridge? Duh... ::uc:: , "didn't remember them", was my reply. She said they have been in there since the 10th of the month. She threatened to feed them to the dog so I decided make us a little snack. Washed and cleaned the tenderloins, using my old muskrat then wrapped with some bacon and into the oven set on broil. Cut into medallions, she had a couple and I had to finish them off. Still have one for a snack tomorrow. These most tender of venison pieces were seasoned with Everglades seasoning, a Florida made rub, wrapped in maple smoked bacon and then into the broiler. Actually, since I'm such a nice feller, I broil them a bit longer so she can enjoy them otherwise when the bacon started to sizzle they would be ready to consume. ::tu:: They were still tender just not rare enough for my taste.005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG
Treefarmer

This sounds delicious!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David, it was and we had the other one this morning, sliced, nuked and served with eggs and toast! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That sure looks and sounds delicious Philip!
Winston Churchill

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Baked beans and sausages
Attachments
IMG_20200203_202029.jpg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Eustace wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm Baked beans and sausages
That looks GOOD Eustace!!! :)
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

woodwalker wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Eustace wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 pm Baked beans and sausages
That looks GOOD Eustace!!! :)
Thank you, woodwalker!
The secret ingredient is some homemade hot tomato sauce.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Light supper and birthday beer after an artery cloggin', belly fattnin', Burger King whopper meal for lunch yesterday :mrgreen: .
Attachments
DSCN2739.JPG
Winston Churchill

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 pm Light supper and birthday beer after an artery cloggin', belly fattnin', Burger King whopper meal for lunch yesterday
Happy Birthday Willy!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Montanaman wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm Delicious looking food folks!

Waukonda was asking how I cure my hams, just got this going last night for Thanksgiving.

I cure my hams in a brine consisting of Prauge powder, garlic, peppercorns, cloves, dark brown sugar, pickling spice, whiskey, all spice berries, kosher salt, quality maple syrup, bay leaves. Bringing to a boil and cooling back down to dissolve the sugar and salt.

aapkham1.jpg

fresh heritage Gloucetershire Old spot hind quarters, my cleaver in CPM-3V makes quick work. I inject about two cups of brine using a syringe, and will re-inject every 3-4 days for the two week cure.

aapkham3.jpg

aapkham2.jpg

aapkham4.jpg

After two weeks I will cold smoke the ham on hickory for 24 hours, and then low and slow at 225F on Fogo charcoal

Here is one coming off the hot smoke this summer,

smokehouseham.jpg
That’s a heckuva good looking ham!!👍👍 I do basically the same thing with boned out whitetail hind quarters or neck roasts. Makes darn good “corned deer”.
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

bestgear wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:02 pm Light supper and birthday beer after an artery cloggin', belly fattnin', Burger King whopper meal for lunch yesterday
Happy Birthday Willy!
Thank you sir ::handshake:: .
Winston Churchill

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Stanwade wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 am That’s a heckuva good looking ham!!👍👍
Thanks Stanwade, much appreciated.

Pulled pork sandwiches today, brined this entire shoulder in a homemade brine for 16 hours and then gave it a rub down of my own rub, 20 hours on the smoker on hickory and post oak.
aapkpork1.jpg
aapkpork2.jpg
aapkpork3.jpg
aapkpork4.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

🤤🤤..What time is supper? I can be in Montana in about 22 hours LOL!
Ryan

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

:shock: Delish! My mouth is watering already... that's some ummy stuff right there. Good job MMan ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

A slab of beef 🥩 ribs I rubbed with a basic coffee rub (instant coffee, garlic powder, onion powder, beef bouillon powder, black pepper, cayenne) Friday night.. going on the grill right now (indirect heat) oak and lump hardwood charcoal
Attachments
15EF77CC-B703-4622-8305-C02A6C8B97EA.jpeg
Ryan

Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Spritzed with Guinness beer throughout cooking time..Done.. glazed with a homemade coffee bbq sauce—(tomato paste, cognac, instant coffee, black pepper, garlic powder, minced onion, chipotle powder, brown sugar, Apple cider vinegar powder, Guinness beer)
Attachments
6E2B92E5-ED9E-4BD6-9B89-EBD1A2C1507E.jpeg
Ryan

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Stanwade wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:35 pm 🤤🤤..What time is supper? I can be in Montana in about 22 hours LOL!
WillyCamaro wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm :shock: Delish! My mouth is watering already... that's some ummy stuff right there. Good job MMan ::tu:: .
Thanks guys, it was really good, lots of leftovers.
Stanwade wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 am Spritzed with Guinness beer throughout cooking time..Done.. glazed with a homemade coffee bbq sauce—(tomato paste, cognac, instant coffee, black pepper, garlic powder, minced onion, chipotle powder, brown sugar, Apple cider vinegar powder, Guinness beer)
That looks great Ryan! Thanks for sharing.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Thanks Kris!
Ryan

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Reverse sear on a thick cut tomahawk the other night. I bring the meat up to room temp, covered, with a little kosher salt. Then season with a little more salt, fresh Tellicherry pepper, a little garlic and onion powder. Indirect at 350-375F until 110F, then rest covered, and ramp up charcoal to 600F and finish with a sear. Jealous Devil charcoal with post oak chunks.
aapktomahawk.jpg
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Looks amazing Kris!!

Great minds think alike... I was just getting ready to post this when yours popped up… Something different – – – homemade dry cottage cheese and parsley pierogies(my mom made , which is from my great grandmothers recipe) and homemade crab pierogies (which I made with the same dough recipe but I made my own lump crab stuffing) and blackened tilapia… I was out of sour cream so I tried something new and I fried the pierogies with blackening seasoning (homemade)… Might be my new way to eat pierogies All the time!🤤🤤
Attachments
51AFD2EC-91BA-40E8-99B2-AED1B6034652.jpeg
Ryan

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Looks and sounds delicious Ryan!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Thanks Kris!👍 I am lucky I think I mentioned in another post before as I have Polish, Russian, Italian, Irish heritage on Either side of my family and all my aunts/uncles and my mom/dad and my grandparents are/were great cooks who learned from past generations… I literally get excited the week of a holiday dinner because I can’t wait to eat awesome dishes from everyone!🤤🤤
Ryan

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”