What's for supper tonight?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's for supper tonight?

Post by treefarmer »

Here we go! Miss Joy sliced the big 'mater, one slice per sandwich. The flavor was not quite as good the regular sized tomatoes. :( Thought y'all might like to see what it looked like after it was butchered. :)
Treefarmer
DSCN3513.JPG
DSCN3515.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

In a terrible Aussie accent .....

Ppffft that's not a tomato .... . . . Now that's a 'mater !

:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I don't know if it's my taste buds getting old or these hybridized maters but none taste as good to me as they use to. ::shrug::
9ball

Post by 9ball »

That samwich made me hungry!

Big Homer sez;
don't know if it's my taste buds getting old or these hybridized maters but none taste as good to me as they use to.
::shrug::

I know a little bit about " Maters " .
People buy stuff with their eyes.......not taste.
So the farmers grow perfect looking maters, corn, melons etc., Because there is alot of manual labor/hard work involved they grow things that sell.
It is about Dollar$.
Now if you want taste or quality, buy or grow the old time "maters".

This even applies to just about everything anymore. Not just food products.

Doctor appointment today, hopefully.......
I'll be back!

9ball :)
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Just sitting down to a bowl of fresh picked green beans, with melted butter, salt, pepper..and a few drops of some Melinda's..tasty!
Attachments
20170725_195011.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

This old thread ain’t been active in a while. What are y’all having tonight?

Me? We have potluck at church every Wednesday night, but I was a mite peckish before hand, so for a snack......buttermilk and cornbread. One of life’s great pleasures.
16B98FA4-33B8-4E21-A22C-D35614CB45F8.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 am This old thread ain’t been active in a while. What are y’all having tonight?

Me? We have potluck at church ever Wednesday night, but I was a night peckish before hand, so for a snack......buttermilk and cornbread. One of life’s great pleasures.

16B98FA4-33B8-4E21-A22C-D35614CB45F8.jpeg
Amen, Brother! ::tu:: 8)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I’ll agree with Wade and Ray! That’s a real delicacy in my book. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I like mine with a little salt and pepper in it. And in the spring a big ol green onion on the side is mighty fine too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Intrigued with the corn bread and buttermilk, with have to go to Dr. Google. I currently have the oven heating up, tonight Baked chicken thigh fillets on the bone with baked potato chips. :D
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:27 am Intrigued with the corn bread and buttermilk, with have to go to Dr. Google. I currently have the oven heating up, tonight Baked chicken thigh fillets on the bone with baked potato chips. :D
Check it out. It is a rare treat and a little bit of an acquired taste. If you cook cornbread and if you have buttermilk on hand just crumble up some of the cornbread in a glass and cover it up with the buttermilk. Eat with a spoon. It is a traditional dish in our southern states and is usually eaten between meals or after a meal. Some, including my sister, prefer milk (sweet milk) to buttermilk but I much prefer buttermilk. I like my cornbread cooked very crispy, almost to the point of being burned and that, with buttermilk, makes a fine way to finish off a meal or a between meal snack. :D 8)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ray, I agree with your sister, I perfer sweet milk as well. Also good with white gravy. Mmmmm. ::nod::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Can't go wrong with cornbread it's good anytime with anything. When I was a young feller my best buddy and I went to Nags Head North Carolina and spent a week with his aunt and uncle. She made cornbread every morning for breakfast with all the normal breakfast foods and I mean a spread. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Now my momma put on a good spread but it was biscuits for breakfast and cornbread for dinner and supper. I ain't never had a good biscuit that I liked better than a good hunk of cornbread but that's just me. Ymmv. ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I too love cornbread. We had white beans and cornbread day before yesterday. Man that was good. Cornbread with butter and honey or sorghum is also a favorite.

That reminds me, here in KY, a delicacy amongst us po’ folk was peanut butter and syrup all mixed up with cornbread or biscuits crumbles up in it. Y’all ever eat that?
cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:27 am Intrigued with the corn bread and buttermilk, with have to go to Dr. Google. I currently have the oven heating up, tonight Baked chicken thigh fillets on the bone with baked potato chips. :D
That sounds wonderful! My oldest boy makes chicken thighs in the oven with barbecue sauce and then fries potatoes in the side. As a matter of fact that’s what we’re having tonight. Delicious.
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:22 pm,,,,,,,,,
That reminds me, here in KY, a delicacy amongst us po’ folk was peanut butter and syrup all mixed up with cornbread or biscuits crumbles up in it. Y’all ever eat that?
I love that with a hot biscuit crumbled up. I use left over biscuits with plenty of butter involved. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Man tree, that vine ripened, freshly picked tomato sure looks delicious this time of year. ::tu:: ::tu::

Last night, Brenda made Chicken & Noodles- chicken and onion stock with mushrooms, some sliced carrots and celery, bring my to a boil and add some sliced chicken and bag of egg noodles. Cook until tender. Then I add some crushed red peppers to give it a kick.

Easy as boiling water and great on a cold day!
Attachments
image000000_39.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That looks good too! My grandma used to make egg noodles a lot as a side dish. Might fine with some brown gravy poured over them.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bighomer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:55 pm Can't go wrong with cornbread it's good anytime with anything. When I was a young feller my best buddy and I went to Nags Head North Carolina and spent a week with his aunt and uncle. She made cornbread every morning for breakfast with all the normal breakfast foods and I mean a spread. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Now my momma put on a good spread but it was biscuits for breakfast and cornbread for dinner and supper. I ain't never had a good biscuit that I liked better than a good hunk of cornbread but that's just me. Ymmv. ::handshake::
Did you ever have gravy made from cornmeal instead or flour? I haven’t, but I remember some of the old men talking about it when I was a kid. They raised more corn than wheat and when the wheat ran out they used corn meal instead.
Robert E. Lee
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Don't know fer shur. ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

My 14 year old son cooked supper tonight. Barbecued (in the oven) chicken thighs, oven roasted taters and onions, and mushy peas. Man it was good!
7C06E75C-893F-41C5-9481-2DC393BF8A94.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks deeeeeeeeeelicious! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Been a peanut butter and 'surp' fellow since I was a little boy. Still eat it. ::nod:: ::nod::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 pm My 14 year old son cooked supper tonight. Barbecued (in the oven) chicken thighs, oven roasted taters and onions, and mushy peas. Man it was good!

7C06E75C-893F-41C5-9481-2DC393BF8A94.jpeg
Passes my muster. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Right now after seeing the BBQ sauce marinated chicken thighs, i am just about to take my 3 remaining ones and marinate them in some BBQ sauce and have 2 tonight and one cold tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

cudgee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 am Right now after seeing the BBQ sauce marinated chicken thighs, i am just about to take my 3 remaining ones and marinate them in some BBQ sauce and have 2 tonight and one cold tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. ::tu::
I’ve always been partial to cold chicken. Especially cold, leftover fried chicken!
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”