Boy, it's cold out!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
tongueriver

Re: Boy, it's cold out!

Post by tongueriver »

Coldest morning here so far this season was -19° a few days ago. I have seen it slightly colder than -40°, but that is very rare here.

"How cold is it?
"It's so cold I saw a lawyer with his hands in his OWN pockets!"
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Years ago when I lived in Idaho I went skiing in Jackson with friends when an extreme cold spell hit. Got into the -40s overnight. The morning it was time to head home we had to put a can of Sterno under the oil pan to turn the engine over.

Dennis
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sixty Below? Here is my solution.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The coldest I've ever seen it here was on January 10, 1982, it got down to -27º. Usually if it's going below zero, it seldom goes below -5º or there abouts.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

-36° in January all time low was -47°

https://www.nhpr.org/post/mt-washington ... h#stream/0
AAPK Janitor
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

ken98k wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:My goodness Ken, that’s cold!!

What kind of fuel sources do y’all use in your furnaces and boilers? I’m sure our electric heat pumps wouldn’t cut it up there.
This part of Alaska is primarily oil heat with quite a few wood burners also, (this accounts for the unhealthy air) and a few people use propane but that is horribly expensive.
Funny thing is it was 30 above last weekend.
That’s what I figured. I’m still shaking my head at those numbers. Hard to fathom!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have read that some places are banning burning wood. True? ::shrug:: Around here many are using pellet stoves for heat. You need to buy it by the ton in 40 lb. bags for best price. My last propane fill was $1.999 gal plus tax. Right now it is 36 degrees, windy and some rain, strange for West Michigan. 6:11 am and the flying squirrel is chowing down on the corn log. They can really move fast! Do you have pellet stove in Alaska?
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

We are having unseasonably warm weather here in Alabama. It was 65 and sunny yesterday and is tone the same today.

Ordinarily, we would be seeing morning temps in the 20’s and 30’s.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

It's been nice here in central Indiana, 50's yesterday when it's usually in the teens or twenty's. Guess it's make up for the bitter cold last year around this time. I'd rather be hot and sweaty than cold anytime.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

mrwatch wrote:I have read that some places are banning burning wood. True? ::shrug:: Around here many are using pellet stoves for heat. You need to buy it by the ton in 40 lb. bags for best price. My last propane fill was $1.999 gal plus tax. Right now it is 36 degrees, windy and some rain, strange for West Michigan. 6:11 am and the flying squirrel is chowing down on the corn log. They can really move fast! Do you have pellet stove in Alaska?
I can’t soeak for Alaska, of course, but around here lots of folks have those outdoor woot furnaces. They burn regular firewood and heat water that is pumped through pipes into the house through a heat exchanger. Many of them heat their hot water heaters with the too.

Firewood is plentiful around here, but it does require some extra work. As the old timers used to say, “heating with wood wil heat ya twice. Once when you cut it and once when you burn it.”
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

It's horrible down here in Houston - it was 75F and sunshine today. :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

What's it like in August?
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

samb1955 wrote:What's it like in August?
105 degrees...but that's when we go float the river...with a cold drink in hand :D
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Sounds like a fun time to me!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Unk wrote:It's horrible down here in Houston - it was 75F and sunshine today. :lol:
Yeah....August is not so fun. :D
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Holy Moly Ken, don’t think I would ever want to see a thermostat that low! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Right now it's zero and windy and heading to a high of 10 today. I like this better than having to put up with 90's and 100's in the summer and I'm dug in pretty well to staying in one spot with my pets, chickens(also pets) and children and siblings all living nearby. Life is good even when it gets a little nippy at times. ___Dave

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”