Ornithology (Bird) Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Re: Ornithology (Bird) Thread

Post by jmh58 »

Watched the last 2 feedings.. No head pecking or pushing.. Both waited their turns and ate good.. Getting big and less wobbly..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm
jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:34 pm Ray.. Try this.. www.aswp.org/pages/hays-nest
Link.. ::tu::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Oh Boy. I just watched a brutal attack by what I judge to be the larger eaglet. Had the smaller one aggressively by the neck. Tough to watch.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Latest figures: Since 1970 the U.S. bird population has declined by 29% across all species. Net loss = 2 and half billion birds. Probable causes: Loss or degradation of habitat, pesticides, outdoor cats, wind-farms.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:15 pm Latest figures: Since 1970 the U.S. bird population has declined by 29% across all species. Net loss = 2 and half billion birds. Probable causes: Loss or degradation of habitat, pesticides, outdoor cats, wind-farms.
Those are some staggering numbers, Garry. I would think that Cowbirds wouldn't be too far down the list of probable causes, particularly for some species. They hardly existed east of the Mississippi 150 years ago and have wreaked havoc on some populations.

I would be interested in hearing from all who post on this thread, as to what species you may no longer, or rarely see, which at one time were common in your area. I suspect there are some regional differences. For instance, I see many more Prothonotary warblers, Yellow Billed Cuckoos, Eastern Bluebirds than I did 40 years ago.There are probably a couple more that escape me at the moment. In other areas these species are in decline

On the other hand, I see far fewer Meadowlarks, Red winged Blackbirds, Hermit Thrush, and Red Headed Woodpecker to name a few. So, what are the rest of you seeing or not seeing?
Ike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very good questions. I have not resided in my area long enough to make a good assessment. Lasy winter we had an abundance of House Finches throughout the winter. This year none, but I think that they simply simply moved to a different area. At least I hope so. No lack of turkey vultures, robins, cardinals, sparrows, grackles, wrens, titmice. I think a large hit has been taken by birds dwelling in fields and farm borders such as meadowlarks, bobolinks etc. Industrial farming has been devastating. Millions are lost each migration confused by the night time lights of our skyscrapers. Forest dwellers have lost a lot of wintering places with the destruction of forests in Central and South America.

Turkeys are doing well around here.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I've noticed a down turn in most all the breeds, last year I had all kinds of house finches and purple finches , this year nadda. I can't even remember the last time I saw or heard a Bobwhite. The birds that were plentiful in my youth no longer come or seldom do. ::teary_eyes::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning visitors. ::handshake::
Attachments
20200401_093313.jpg
20200401_093208.jpg
20200401_092845.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:35 pm
jmh58 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:07 pm
jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:34 pm Ray.. Try this.. www.aswp.org/pages/hays-nest
Link.. ::tu::
Link bump!
Bump
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the photos bighomer. Looks like your turkeys are prospering.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the bump Steve. For me the drama remains the sibling rivalry.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:58 pm Thanks for the bump Steve. For me the drama remains the sibling rivalry.
You're welcome.
I went back in time a bit. A cool feature!
Around 12:05 they were getting fed some fish; both behaving themselves pretty good as momma offered it up.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:20 pm

I would be interested in hearing from all who post on this thread, as to what species you may no longer, or rarely see, which at one time were common in your area. I suspect there are some regional differences. For instance, I see many more Prothonotary warblers, Yellow Billed Cuckoos, Eastern Bluebirds than I did 40 years ago.There are probably a couple more that escape me at the moment. In other areas these species are in decline

On the other hand, I see far fewer Meadowlarks, Red winged Blackbirds, Hermit Thrush, and Red Headed Woodpecker to name a few. So, what are the rest of you seeing or not seeing?

In my area, central Kentucky, I see far fewer Eastern Meadowlarks than I did growing up, along with very few Bobwhite Quail, Brown Thrashers, and Indigo Buntings. Like some others, my House Finch sightings have been greatly reduced this winter. I do see a lot more Great Blue Herons than I ever did in my younger days and Black Vultures have moved into this area just in the past ten years or less and they are not a positive addition in my opinion.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is very interesting, Phil, thanks for the info. Bobwhite are seldom seen here either, Brown Thrashers definitely not as many as 30 or 40 years ago. Indigo Buntings on the other hand, are very common. I can drive any backroad around here (Southern Il.) And see a pair every quarter mile or so, perched on the power lines or fences.
Same here, as far as Blue Herons and the Vultures
Ike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those little Eagles are having a fine meal right now.
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Enjoying watching the eagles, also watching the turkeys here. Couple of old Tom's and 8 Jake's. One ole tom is strutting around like he owns the place. He tried walking down one of the Jake's, but he wasn't playing that game.
Attachments
20200403_095712.jpg
20200403_102215.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

These came by for a afternoon snack 18 in this bunch. ::woot:: Sweet thang and I went to the store Wednesday and in a field about a mile and half south of my house was a flock that had to have at least two hundred in it. ::uc::
Attachments
20200403_144555.jpg
20200403_143802.jpg
20200403_142740.jpg
20200403_142623.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

It's nice to see the Turkeys, Joe. Great bird; Ben Franklin thought a lot of them.

Mr. and Mrs. Staputski have hung out here at the pond all winter. It's always nice to see them.
Attachments
DSCN3033.JPG
DSCN3023.JPG
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice Turkey photos, Homer.

And I like those ducks, Joe. That second photo is really cool!
Mel
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Homer! Joe!
Great shots, guys. Thanks for sharing!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice pictures from everyone. Always like seeing turkeys and ducks. ::tu:: Same for eagles, hawks and owls.

The bob white quail has disappeared here, whereas 30-40 years ago they were very common. I blame that on imported fire ants, and feral hogs. It seems to me there is a direct correlation between the quail decline and the spread of fire ants and hogs.

I’m also seeing a definite increase in White Wing and Eurasian Collared Dove, as a percentage of the total dove population. This I can verify absolutely based on my experiences as a lifelong dove hunter. White Wings used to be common in south Texas and only rarely seen here. Then about 25 years ago we would bag one or two a day. Now it’s around 10-20%. The Collared Dove appeared here about five years ago, are not native to America and considered an invasive species with no season or bag limits. Despite that they are on the rise.

I worry about owls and many other species as urban sprawl from the DFW metro-mess continues to march this direction. Developers are aggressively buying up farms and ranches. And when they start building the very first thing they invariably do is bring in bulldozers. They flatten everything, remove all trees and brush, create paved roads and start building houses. May be good for English sparrows, starlings and pigeons but the habitat loss is not helping our native species.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Feedin' time at the eagle's nest!
http://www.aswp.org/pages/hays-nest
Seems both little eaglets are growin' up fast. Not much squabble over the food; taking their turns as momma offered it.
This is fun to follow!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I made this post the other day in the First Cup Diner thread in response to a posting there. I didn't notice until this morning that it had been recommended that I put it here.

All birds eat something other than nectar and seeds to provide the protein in their diet. Nectar is pure carbs and seeds have minimal. if any, protein. Bugs, worms, spiders, lizards and small rodents provide the bulk of bird diet proteins. Aquatic birds, penguins, pelicans, ospreys, etc depend on fish for a source of protein.

Almost everyone knows that hummingbirds suck nectar out of blossoms. There is actually a variety of birds that access nectar in some amount.

A list of birds KNOWN to add nectar to their diet -

Bananaquits
Chickadees
Finches
Flowerpeckers
Hummingbirds
Honeyeaters
Lorikeets
Orioles
Sunbirds
Verdins
Warblers
White-eyes
Woodpeckers

The ones that don't have long skinny beaks like hummers tear holes near the base of a bloom to access the nectar at the base of the bloom. Bumblebees like nectar as well but can only access nectar by chewing a hole near the base OR wait for a bird to do it for them.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:50 pm Feedin' time at the eagle's nest!
http://www.aswp.org/pages/hays-nest
Seems both little eaglets are growin' up fast. Not much squabble over the food; taking their turns as momma offered it.
This is fun to follow!
::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

If ya scroll back in the Eagle post.. There are close ups of the eaglets and later the male returns.. Nice family shots then.. ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”