Ornithology (Bird) Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ornithology (Bird) Thread

Post by Waukonda »

Thanks, Floyd and Tom.
Ike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

My best Robin pic.
DSCN7085.JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

doglegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:10 pm My best Robin pic. DSCN7085.JPG
8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks WillyC. ::handshake::
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

doglegg wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:10 pm My best Robin pic. DSCN7085.JPG
Floyd, that is an excellent photo! I tend to overlook the Robin, they are so common in my area and usually hang around 12 mos/yr. Your picture reminds me what a handsome bird they are, nice post, sir!
Ike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Ike. I too often overlook the familiar. ::handshake::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Mr Oriole visited again today. Some say they drive the hummingbirds away but I don’t have that problem.
772B089D-DCE6-492A-99FF-9AC21304BD2A.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pic Boji. ::tu:: ::tu::
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Boji wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:46 am Mr Oriole visited again today. Some say they drive the hummingbirds away but I don’t have that problem.
Thanks for posting the Oriole pic! They are in my area, but I can go years between sightings, just not real common around here. I occasionally see Orchard Orioles but they aren't nearly as striking.
Ike
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Waukonda wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Boji wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:46 am Mr Oriole visited again today. Some say they drive the hummingbirds away but I don’t have that problem.
Thanks for posting the Oriole pic! They are in my area, but I can go years between sightings, just not real common around here. I occasionally see Orchard Orioles but they aren't nearly as striking.
I never put up feeders until last year but most years I see the Orioles around. One year they built a nest less than 10 feet from where I park my car.
I'm missing the goldfinches this year, haven't seen a one. Last summer they were frequent diners.
Hopefully one of these days I'll catch a picture of the hummingbirds
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Boji wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:41 pm
Waukonda wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Boji wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:46 am
I never put up feeders until last year but most years I see the Orioles around. One year they built a nest less than 10 feet from where I park my car.
I'm missing the goldfinches this year, haven't seen a one. Last summer they were frequent diners.
Hopefully one of these days I'll catch a picture of the hummingbirds
Evidently, Orioles are fond of, and attracted to oranges. I know a couple who get them to their backyard by quartering oranges and putting the chunks out. I tried it and got plenty......of ants! ::facepalm::

I have seen Goldfinches this year but not nearly as many as in most years.
Ike
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Crossed paths with some baby Turkeys and Peacocks recently
Attachments
20210824_123453.jpg
20210828_085318.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool. ::nod:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

TripleF wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am Crossed paths with some baby Turkeys and Peacocks recently
::hmm:: Thanks for sharing that Scott. ::handshake:: I didn't know there are wild peacocks in Florida. Have they always been around, or are they passing through, or are they an invasive spiecies? ::shrug::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

TPK wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:40 pm
TripleF wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am Crossed paths with some baby Turkeys and Peacocks recently
::hmm:: Thanks for sharing that Scott. ::handshake:: I didn't know there are wild peacocks in Florida. Have they always been around, or are they passing through, or are they an invasive spiecies? ::shrug::
I don't see them often, but there is a neighborhood south of us where a number of them reside. That's all I know.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Today is the first day of spring here, 4 days ago i saw an egg that had fallen out of a nest, had been very windy. Straight away i thought it may have been a magpies egg, we have a family of them around here that have new chicks every year. Thought i would show this photo of a male magpie in full protective mode, they are very protective and aggressive at this time of the year and will swoop and attack anyone they perceive as a threat to their chicks.
7NfnPoyD8SNVOwvR1JwA.jpg
Giving it's intended target the evil eye.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

cudgee wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:39 pm Today is the first day of spring here, 4 days ago i saw an egg that had fallen out of a nest, had been very windy. Straight away i thought it may have been a magpies egg, we have a family of them around here that have new chicks every year. Thought i would show this photo of a male magpie in full protective mode, they are very protective and aggressive at this time of the year and will swoop and attack anyone they perceive as a threat to their chicks.

7NfnPoyD8SNVOwvR1JwA.jpg

Good looking bird and large enough to be wary of when showing aggression. The North American version of Magpie is not found in the Eastern/Midwestern portion of the U.S. where I live, so, I only see them when vacationing in the West. Thanks for posting.
Ike
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:08 pm
cudgee wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:39 pm Today is the first day of spring here, 4 days ago i saw an egg that had fallen out of a nest, had been very windy. Straight away i thought it may have been a magpies egg, we have a family of them around here that have new chicks every year. Thought i would show this photo of a male magpie in full protective mode, they are very protective and aggressive at this time of the year and will swoop and attack anyone they perceive as a threat to their chicks.

7NfnPoyD8SNVOwvR1JwA.jpg

Good looking bird and large enough to be wary of when showing aggression. The North American version of Magpie is not found in the Eastern/Midwestern portion of the U.S. where I live, so, I only see them when vacationing in the West. Thanks for posting.
Ike, you are correct there my friend. They can do a lot of damage to humans if very aggressive, can take a large chunk out of your head, and have been known to attack your eyes, though that is rare. Normally they just swoop in then turn away clicking their beaks as a warning to you that you have encroached into their area. I once saw the male and female attack crows who were trying to get the chicks, and the crows ran a long second, they were no match.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I am attaching a couple of photos of a grackle I have named 'Re-Hab'. I detest these birds but since this one is sorta injured, I have not chased him off. For one thing, he has no friends and he seldom goes after the bird seed I put out. He is missing all his tail-feathers and has a little something of a hang-down by his right leg. I'm guessing he came out second best to a load of buckshot or maybe a cat or a hawk. He feeds on bugs and such in the back yard. Hopefully, he'll recover and move on soon.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_0262.JPG
1-IMG_0261.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TPK

Post by TPK »

7NfnPoyD8SNVOwvR1JwA.jpg

Good looking bird. I wouldn't want to make him mad though. ::woot::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 pm I am attaching a couple of photos of a grackle I have named 'Re-Hab'. I detest these birds but since this one is sorta injured, I have not chased him off. For one thing, he has no friends and he seldom goes after the bird seed I put out. He is missing all his tail-feathers and has a little something of a hang-down by his right leg. I'm guessing he came out second best to a load of buckshot or maybe a cat or a hawk. He feeds on bugs and such in the back yard. Hopefully, he'll recover and move on soon.

Ray
Good deal Ray! ::tu:: Even bad guys need a break sometimes. ::nod:: ::tu::

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 pm I am attaching a couple of photos of a grackle I have named 'Re-Hab'. I detest these birds but since this one is sorta injured, I have not chased him off. For one thing, he has no friends and he seldom goes after the bird seed I put out. He is missing all his tail-feathers and has a little something of a hang-down by his right leg. I'm guessing he came out second best to a load of buckshot or maybe a cat or a hawk. He feeds on bugs and such in the back yard. Hopefully, he'll recover and move on soon.

Ray
You old softy, Ray! Can he fly in a normal manner?
Ike
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:40 pm

7NfnPoyD8SNVOwvR1JwA.jpg

Good looking bird. I wouldn't want to make him mad though. ::woot::
It's quite ironic, they can be a very vicious bird, but get their confidence and trust and they are the most friendly and entertaining creatures. ::groove::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Ray
You old softy, Ray! Can he fly in a normal manner?
He seems to fly ok so I'm guessing he'll be ready to take off before too long.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice Magpie photo, Cudgee.

Grackles are not my favorite bird, either, Ray. But that is because they often come in big flocks. I am okay with one.

After Hurricane Ida blew through last week I went fishing. I was hoping to see some Frigatebirds. They live in the Gulf, but do not normally show up along the coast unless there is a tropical storm in the Gulf. Sure enough, I spotted this lady: she spent at least an hour soaring over the sound where I was fishing.
Attachments
Magnificent Frigatebird
Magnificent Frigatebird
Magnificent Frigatebird
Magnificent Frigatebird
Mel

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”