What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
eveled

Re: What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by eveled »

Old Folder wrote:Here is my collection of: Prest-O-Lite Keys.
IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPG
Unfortunately I do not possess the below items.
automotive-lighting-history-Prest-O-Lite-acetylene-tank-NAPA-Know-How-Blog.jpg568522.jpg1913_9B_011.JPG
Nice set! I’ve wanted one of the pocket knife ones for a long time. I have the baseball player one. It is so well done the square is part of the picture and doesn’t look out of place.

As a welder and a plumber and HVAC tech I’ve used acetylene a lot. There is still a market for those knives.

Have you ever seen the one on the reamer on a RIDGID pipe cutter?
eveled

Post by eveled »

F0CDD736-75A5-464E-B676-9393D3EA4E77.jpeg
F0CDD736-75A5-464E-B676-9393D3EA4E77.jpeg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
It’s the only current product I can think of that has the acetylene hole added on to it.

This is the mini pry bar that lives on my work keys I opened up the hole with a square file to double has my spare acetylene key.
7266B12A-A3F0-4207-AB80-17F5775198AD.jpeg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

*** LOGO GOLF BALLS ***
When I would go search for my ball that just refused to find the fairway, I would emerge from the woods, the rough, or wherever, not just with my ball, but usually with quite a few "extras." I no longer play golf and haven't played since 2007. I have since sold all the balls that I found (200+), except these logo golf balls. I've held on to them for some reason, don't really know why. I keep them in empty egg cartons, which hold them perfectly. I do not display them, but every once in a while I'll take out a carton and just look at them and reminisce about where and how I found them. ALL of them were found on various courses throughout Orange, Ulster and Cortland Counties in New York State. Click to ENLARGE the pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
eveled

Post by eveled »

I think I’d have more fun looking for golf balls than playing golf.

Nice collection you have there.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

eveled wrote:I think I’d have more fun looking for golf balls than playing golf.
Nice collection you have there.
Thank you. ::tu:: I didn't actually "play" golf. I'd go back to New York to visit and if I wanted to see my friends, that's where they were, on the golf course. So I bought a cheap set of clubs, hit the driving range to "practice" and I joined them (I only "played" when I went back to visit, never any other time). We would rent a cart, load it up with beer (didn't help my game, didn't hurt it either) and go play 18 holes. I never broke 100 on 18 holes. It was "fun" but I never really took it seriously. I did have more fun retrieving lost balls than playing. :D

Skip
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Played 'real' golf twice in my life ....

If it goes left it's a hook
If it goes right it's a slice
If it goes straight it's a miracle

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

They named it 'golf' because all the other 4 letter words were taken. :roll:
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

royal0014 wrote:Played 'real' golf twice in my life ....

If it goes left it's a hook
If it goes right it's a slice
If it goes straight it's a miracle

:roll: :roll: :roll:
My ball went further when a gust of wind knocked it off the tee, than when I "hit" it. ::facepalm::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

***** Vintage Marbles & Marble Shooter *****

I never played marbles, these belonged to my mother. I do not collect them.
I found the marble shooter under a house I was working in.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

***** WHEAT PENNIES *****
***** INDIAN HEAD PENNIES *****

Wheat Pennies were struck from 1909 to 1956. Indian Head Pennies were struck from 1859 to 1909. I don't collect these per se, I would and still do, go through my pocket change (when there is any) and very often (1960's-70's), I would get lucky (not so much nowadays) and find some. ALL the Wheat Pennies & Indian Head Pennies shown below have been pulled from my pocket change over the course of many, many years. I do not buy them, trade for them or get rolls from the bank to search. Sometimes there have been a few exceptional examples that show little to no wear at all. There have even been a few Steel Wheat Pennies (1943) in the change. I have not searched through my main group to see what's there. One of these days..........! Maybe I'll find that elusive 1943 Copper Wheat Penny (BIG $$$$$). Click the pictures to ENLARGE.

First picture-the whole group of Wheat Pennies
Second picture-the 1943 Steel Wheat Pennies
Third picture-"exceptional" Wheat Pennies.
Fourth & Fifth pictures-truly "exceptional" Wheat Pennies, front & back.
Sixth picture-the Indian Head Pennies group.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Added this to the pile the other day.
Attachments
20190824_142444.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I'd forgotten all about belt buckles till Skip started this thread, now I'm buying them as well as knives. It's all your fault Skip. Be shame yoreself young'un. :mrgreen: ::woot::
Attachments
20190907_170908.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:***** WHEAT PENNIES *****
***** INDIAN HEAD PENNIES *****

Wheat Pennies were struck from 1909 to 1956. Indian Head Pennies were struck from 1859 to 1909. I don't collect these per se, I would and still do, go through my pocket change (when there is any) and very often (1960's-70's), I would get lucky (not so much nowadays) and find some. ALL the Wheat Pennies & Indian Head Pennies shown below have been pulled from my pocket change over the course of many, many years. I do not buy them, trade for them or get rolls from the bank to search. Sometimes there have been a few exceptional examples that show little to no wear at all. There have even been a few Steel Wheat Pennies (1943) in the change. I have not searched through my main group to see what's there. One of these days..........! Maybe I'll find that elusive 1943 Copper Wheat Penny (BIG $$$$$). Click the pictures to ENLARGE.

First picture-the whole group of Wheat Pennies
Second picture-the 1943 Steel Wheat Pennies
Third picture-"exceptional" Wheat Pennies.
Fourth & Fifth pictures-truly "exceptional" Wheat Pennies, front & back.
Sixth picture-the Indian Head Pennies group.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Tools and anything unusual such as a glass eye. I once ask a seller at a flea market what he collected, his reply was social security and one hundred dollar bills. I could never be him! PACKRAT til the end. :)
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:*** LOGO GOLF BALLS ***
When I would go search for my ball that just refused to find the fairway, I would emerge from the woods, the rough, or wherever, not just with my ball, but usually with quite a few "extras." I no longer play golf and haven't played since 2007. I have since sold all the balls that I found (200+), except these logo golf balls. I've held on to them for some reason, don't really know why. I keep them in empty egg cartons, which hold them perfectly. I do not display them, but every once in a while I'll take out a carton and just look at them and reminisce about where and how I found them. ALL of them were found on various courses throughout Orange, Ulster and Cortland Counties in New York State. Click to ENLARGE the pictures.
Don't get this wrong, but..., I like your balls. :mrgreen: You could get a peace of green indoor-outdoor carpet, place them on it, take a picture of them, frame it, hang it on the wall and call in "ART". Then you could show the world so to speak, how much balls you've got. ::facepalm:: Hope your laughing as much as I am. Sorry! But seriously, it would be a cool picture. I could come up with several short sentences you could write and place in the picture as well but I won't go there. ::super_happy:: Unless you want me to? ::super_happy::

Have a good week,
Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Scale Military

Post by Scale Military »

I have a belt buckle,
and military surplus...
Have to take some pictures of my stuff. :)
Attachments
DSCN0294.JPG
DSCN0298.JPG
William C. Westmoreland "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
George S. Patton Jr. "Live for something rather than die for nothing."
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I used to collect baseball cards but ended up selling most all of them mainly just to make room. When I was a kid it was comic books and stamps, my nephew thought the comics were free for the taking in the family storage and sold them to feed his habits, where the stamps are is anyone's guess.

Nowadays its knives and Ryobi spinning reels. Actually my Ryobi reel collection is near completion with only one hole left to fill... someday I'll find a Ryobi 300.
Trace
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I used to collect and still have... souvenir pencils, shot glasses, and matchbooks from all over.
Zippo lighters. Stamps. Coins. Hat pins. Scissors. Magnifying glasses. Keychains. Comic books. Record albums. Music CDs. Hand tools. Refrigerator magnets. NASCAR. Hats. Flashlights. Toy motorcycles. Hot wheels and knives are the only current items.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

This is a fun thread to read, I am bumping it for those that might have missed it
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Key Rings. Again, another group of items that I never set out to collect. But yet they managed to find a way to get into a pocket, a drawer, my car glovebox, etc. I would get them from customers as "thank you" tokens. I'd pick one up at a "promotional" booth at a sporting event. Businesses would have a basket of them in the lobby to advertise and I would take one. I received a couple as gifts from friends. I found some of them while I was working. Not one of the key rings pictured below was actually purchased by me. I have not been given, have not taken and I have not found a key ring in a few years now. It's safe to say that this accumulation will not grow larger. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

For a while my wife and I were big into all things native American, especially bead work. Only picked up one thing in porcupine quill. Some of our stuff.
DSCN6131.JPG
DSCN6134.JPG
DSCN6136.JPG
DSCN6132.JPG
DSCN6135.JPG
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

In the 90's, I was deep into Nascar die cast and collected Earnhardt Sr. die cast and cards. After his death, I tried to gain interest in Dale Jr., but lost interest after a few years. I've still got about 20 die cast cars, of which 5 of them are autographed by Sr. and Dale Jr. I've got a white jacket that has approx. 40-45 autographs of various drivers who have signed it front & back. Most of the autographs are of well known drivers of the 80's & 90's. Dale Sr., Richard & Kyle Petty, Gordon, Buddy Baker, Davy Allison, etc., etc. and many, many more.

I've also collected eagle figurines for the past 20 years. Purchased many off ebay back in the day. I've got about 8 eagle figurines that are approx. 2 feet tall carved from Bali wood...those are some very nice pieces. An interesting story; I purchased a brass eagle off ebay for $45.00 back in 02/03, because I liked the looks of it so much. It's one of those with the wings spread out, the feet out like it's coming down for a 'catch.' The interesting thing about this piece is; the seller never said anything about it being signed by the maker. When I received it, I then discovered that it was signed...and the maker's name was "FRATIN". When I researched this name, it came up as Christopher Fratin, a French artist of the early to mid 1800's. I don't know if it's an original or a copy, but everything I've seen about his art with his name on it, is identical to the name on my eagle. I've never had it authenticated...maybe one day.

I've got a small collection of about 20 challenge coins from different ships and commands I was given during my Navy days and during my time working at the Naval Shipyard.

I need to have a yard sale... :D
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Swizzle Sticks, Cocktail Stirrers & Cocktail Condiment Holders/Spears. Again, I did not purposely collect these. I "inherited" 99.99% of these. There are some truly unique ones in the collection. There are also some very common, generic ones present.
The majority of them are from back east. Some of you may recognize a few of the places that are represented on them. Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Antique Oyster/Pickle Forks. Yes, I was actively collecting these. Not so much for the silver value, but because I love oysters and the "history" of oysters. I no longer collect oyster forks. The forks pictured are a mix of sterling silver and silver plate. The makers are Gorham & Whiting, Wallace, Simeon L. & George H. Rogers Company, Fessenden & Company and Rogers Brothers. The years of manufacturer range from 1847 to 1920.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Reading this thread I looked up at the shelf above my computer and had an epiphany. I do collect something other than pocket knives. I collect (or maybe accumulate is a better word) anything USMC.

Please excuse the poor cell phone/dark room pictures.
Attachments
1204191455.jpg
1204191455a.jpg
1204191456.jpg
1204191457.jpg
1204191501-1.jpg
1204191525.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”