What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Steve Warden wrote:Some things aren't cool until they're old.
Those are cool, N_W_NY!
Thank you Steve. I'm using my name now, it's Skip. ::handshake::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:Some things aren't cool until they're old.
Those are cool, N_W_NY!
Thank you Steve. I'm using my name now, it's Skip. ::handshake::
Ya know, I did notice Skip had been added to the signature, but wasn't quite sure, so I played it safe.

Skip it is!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:Restaurant Menus. I have hundreds of restaurant menus (I ate at ALL of them). From all across the country and representing a WIDE variety of cuisines. Some are the plain paper "to go" menus, but most are very nice, "formal" sit-down menus. Some are bound in leather, some in pleather, some in vinyl and some are just laminated paper. But I can pick up any menu, look at it and remember what I had to eat, when I was there and who I was with. The three menus that are pictured below are the only places that I never ate at, I wasn't born yet. The top one, given to me by a friend, is from a place called "The Steak House", located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is hand dated 1938 on the back. It is unique in that it is made of wood. A very thin wood, like balsa wood. It is small, measuring at 4" X 6." Check out those prices! The middle menu is from "The Brown Derby." It is print dated on the inside of the menu, December 1939. I found this in a building in Hollywood that was being demolished. I also found some Brown Derby swizzle sticks and napkins. The bottom menu is from "Olson's Theatre Restaurant" in Chicago. It was part of a group of items that I purchased. It does not have a specific date on it, but on the top of the inside of the menu it says "Remember Pearl Harbor" and "Tokio Or Bust." So I'd date it 1942-? Again, look at those prices! Click to ENLARGE the pictures.
Fantastic piece of history, reminiscent of the old diner restaurants with the booths. Great reading, thanks for posting.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

IMAG0054.jpg
Akubra Pastoralist's Hat with a Case Large Amber Jigged Bone Stockman.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

cudgee wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:Restaurant Menus. I have hundreds of restaurant menus (I ate at ALL of them). From all across the country and representing a WIDE variety of cuisines. Some are the plain paper "to go" menus, but most are very nice, "formal" sit-down menus. Some are bound in leather, some in pleather, some in vinyl and some are just laminated paper. But I can pick up any menu, look at it and remember what I had to eat, when I was there and who I was with. The three menus that are pictured below are the only places that I never ate at, I wasn't born yet. The top one, given to me by a friend, is from a place called "The Steak House", located in Phoenix, Arizona. It is hand dated 1938 on the back. It is unique in that it is made of wood. A very thin wood, like balsa wood. It is small, measuring at 4" X 6." Check out those prices! The middle menu is from "The Brown Derby." It is print dated on the inside of the menu, December 1939. I found this in a building in Hollywood that was being demolished. I also found some Brown Derby swizzle sticks and napkins. The bottom menu is from "Olson's Theatre Restaurant" in Chicago. It was part of a group of items that I purchased. It does not have a specific date on it, but on the top of the inside of the menu it says "Remember Pearl Harbor" and "Tokio Or Bust." So I'd date it 1942-? Again, look at those prices! Click to ENLARGE the pictures.
Fantastic piece of history, reminiscent of the old diner restaurants with the booths. Great reading, thanks for posting.
You're welcome. I thought the hat you just posted was the same hat from your previous post. Upon closer examination, I see it isn't the same hat, just very similar looking. You're lucky you can wear that style of hat. I came VERY close to buying an Australian Outback Oilskin Hat, but that style and myself just don't agree.

Skip
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
cudgee wrote:
You're welcome. I thought the hat you just posted was the same hat from your previous post. Upon closer examination, I see it isn't the same hat, just very similar looking. You're lucky you can wear that style of hat. I came VERY close to buying an Australian Outback Oilskin Hat, but that style and myself just don't agree.
Oilskin would be too hot for california. Akubra have a great selection if you can find an outlet for them over there. ::handshake::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

cudgee wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
cudgee wrote:
Oilskin would be too hot for california. Akubra have a great selection if you can find an outlet for them over there. ::handshake::
I live in the mountains, 6000 feet above sea level. We have all 4 seasons, we do get snow. :D ::handshake::

Skip
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Skip, scroll down to California and see if any Akubra dealers are near you...
http://www.akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_dealers.html

Those are some nice hats. I've been getting mine from Outback Trading Company. May have to peruse Akubra a bit more...
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Steve Warden wrote:Skip, scroll down to California and see if any Akubra dealers are near you...
http://www.akubra-usa.com/ak_akubra_dealers.html

Those are some nice hats. I've been getting mine from Outback Trading Company. May have to peruse Akubra a bit more...
The bottom 5 California locations are the "closest" to me, but are not "close." If I just drive to the base of the mountain I live on, turn around and come straight back to my house, it's a 50 mile round trip (going down, not that bad. Coming back up, rough on the old transmission). Add the many miles to and from any of those locations, plus the stress of ridiculously heavy traffic. It just isn't worth it to me. I've only been off the mountain once in 4 years. I'll see if any of those locations sell on-line and go from there. Thank you for the list Steve. ::tu::

Skip
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

You're welcome. :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
cudgee wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:
I live in the mountains, 6000 feet above sea level. We have all 4 seasons, we do get snow. :D ::handshake::
Perception is fraught with danger. ::dang:: I have a perception of California as old Frankie Avalon movies, sun and surf, i forgot you had mountains and varying climates. Get yourself an oilskin hat, they are fantastic for cold climate conditions. I have a 3/4 length oilskin coat, they are wind proof and water proof, the 2 biggest causes of hypothermia, wet and wind chill. If you look after them they will last a lifetime, my cousin who was a cattle buyers agent had his for well over 60 years, he died 3 years ago, but the coat is still going. Google Driazabone, oilskin coats just to have a look at them, and if you can purchase them over there, think about getting one, they are well worth the investment. We had a cold front come through here last week with snow down to 400 meters, snow fell in areas that only see snow once a decade if that, and i was as worm as toast in my coat. ::tu:: ::handshake::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Really interesting thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I wonder if we all suffer to a degree from hoarding :D

In addition to my “old knife” obsession I am also heavily involved in fly fishing and tying - though my buying now for old fly fishing and tying gear is much more focused after 35 years of collecting - these days it has to be something very special ... Along those lines I collect old rods (bamboo, early fiberglass and my rods I fish are graphite - total # 25-30), early reels, silk fly lines – and than fly tying gear such as vises, tools, hooks (these are the early blind eye hooks where silk gut was tied it to act as the eye of the hook – I have a variety of hooks many handmade that number somewhere in the thousands and from many early makers of Redditch England such as Allcock etc – I even have the original boxes for many), early flies tied by famous shops or fly tyers – see below for my most prized possession of 3 Orvis flies tied in the Mary Orvis Marbury period of the late 1800s (these were featured in a famous fly tying book called Favorite Flies by Paul Schmookler) – I and other collectors have never seen large old wet gaudy flies from the Orvis shop and the flies are still attached as original to the Orvis sales card and never used - note the names of the flies attached to hooks are the original labels (the American Musuem of Fly Fishing in Manchester VT has a spectacular collection including the Worlds Fair plates from 1893 displayed by Orvis), old fly tying materials including old tinsel, exotic feathers, silk gut etc etc…

and than somehow I am attracted to 1800s tools for wood etc though this latter area was mostly obtained through my Grandfather’s and Dad’s wood shops… though somehow when I find something old and unique/different and the right price I grab it ::facepalm:: ..
DSCN2464A PS.jpg

Post by cudgee »

LongBlade wrote:Really interesting thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I wonder if we all suffer to a degree from hoarding :D

In addition to my “old knife” obsession I am also heavily involved in fly fishing and tying - though my buying now for old fly fishing and tying gear is much more focused after 35 years of collecting - these days it has to be something very special ... Along those lines I collect old rods (bamboo, early fiberglass and my rods I fish are graphite - total # 25-30), early reels, silk fly lines – and than fly tying gear such as vises, tools, hooks (these are the early blind eye hooks where silk gut was tied it to act as the eye of the hook – I have a variety of hooks many handmade that number somewhere in the thousands and from many early makers of Redditch England such as Allcock etc – I even have the original boxes for many), early flies tied by famous shops or fly tyers – see below for my most prized possession of 3 Orvis flies tied in the Mary Orvis Marbury period of the late 1800s (these were featured in a famous fly tying book called Favorite Flies by Paul Schmookler) – I and other collectors have never seen large old wet gaudy flies from the Orvis shop and the flies are still attached as original to the Orvis sales card and never used - note the names of the flies attached to hooks are the original labels (the American Musuem of Fly Fishing in Manchester VT has a spectacular collection including the Worlds Fair plates from 1893 displayed by Orvis, old fly tying materials including old tinsel, exotic feathers, silk gut etc etc…

and than somehow I am attracted to 1800s tools for wood etc though this latter area was mostly obtained through my Grandfather’s and Dad’s wood shops… though somehow when I find something old and unique/different and the right price I grab it ::facepalm:: ..

DSCN2464A PS.jpg
Well said and so true. As we say here " You are spot on". ::tu::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are most of my belt buckles, which I don't collect. I just buy ones that I like to use. I guess that still makes it a collection. ___Dave
Attachments
belt buckles 001.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

cudgee wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Really interesting thread ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I wonder if we all suffer to a degree from hoarding :D

In addition to my “old knife” obsession I am also heavily involved in fly fishing and tying - though my buying now for old fly fishing and tying gear is much more focused after 35 years of collecting - these days it has to be something very special ... Along those lines I collect old rods (bamboo, early fiberglass and my rods I fish are graphite - total # 25-30), early reels, silk fly lines – and than fly tying gear such as vises, tools, hooks (these are the early blind eye hooks where silk gut was tied it to act as the eye of the hook – I have a variety of hooks many handmade that number somewhere in the thousands and from many early makers of Redditch England such as Allcock etc – I even have the original boxes for many), early flies tied by famous shops or fly tyers – see below for my most prized possession of 3 Orvis flies tied in the Mary Orvis Marbury period of the late 1800s (these were featured in a famous fly tying book called Favorite Flies by Paul Schmookler) – I and other collectors have never seen large old wet gaudy flies from the Orvis shop and the flies are still attached as original to the Orvis sales card and never used - note the names of the flies attached to hooks are the original labels (the American Musuem of Fly Fishing in Manchester VT has a spectacular collection including the Worlds Fair plates from 1893 displayed by Orvis, old fly tying materials including old tinsel, exotic feathers, silk gut etc etc…

DSCN2464A PS.jpg
Well said and so true. As we say here " You are spot on". ::tu::
Thanks cudgee ::handshake:: ... I will say as I work part time at an antique shop that people collect anything and everything - never ceases to amaze me ::nod:: ..
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Isn't it wonderful.......collecting, hoarding, accumulating, acquiring, etc.,.......If nobody did this, family histories would disappear, legacies would be lost, our past would just be guesswork to future generations. I should start a separate topic on what is the oldest item that you have, but some other time. I just think it's fantastic to not only pass down written documentation for future generations, but to back it up with actual pieces of our history. Thanks to everybody who has contributed thus far. Let's keep it going. If you're hesitant because you don't feel your item(s) are relevant, think again. Post what you have, share it with us.

Skip
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:Isn't it wonderful.......collecting, hoarding, accumulating, acquiring, etc.,.......If nobody did this, family histories would disappear, legacies would be lost, our past would just be guesswork to future generations. I should start a separate topic on what is the oldest item that you have, but some other time. I just think it's fantastic to not only pass down written documentation for future generations, but to back it up with actual pieces of our history. Thanks to everybody who has contributed thus far. Let's keep it going. If you're hesitant because you don't feel your item(s) are relevant, think again. Post what you have, share it with us.
Well said my friend ::handshake:: I am envious of you living on a mountain, i used to have a bush shack in the high country, but due to some bad financial investing, had to unload it, ::facepalm:: boy do i miss it. Take care and stay safe. ::tu::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I got bit early with the collecting bug. When I was little I was collecting things that I would put in my office some day. I collected small rubber horses and everything that once belonged to my Grandpa. I have my Dad's baby dish and his shaving mug, Mom's old Pig cutting board, toys I played with as a kid, and pretty much everything someone gave me as a gift. My office isn't near big enough, but it's full. I wrote an article years ago for Knife World about "Three Easy Lessons" on collecting with pictures of my office. It's a museum of my life and hard wired into me is a collector. I doubt professional help could change that even if I wanted to which I don't. ____Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I like old glasses for some reason.
Attachments
DSCN6719.JPG
DSCN6723.JPG
DSCN6727.JPG
DSCN6729.JPG
DSCN6749.JPG
Joe
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cudgee wrote:IMAG0054.jpg Akubra Pastoralist's Hat with a Case Large Amber Jigged Bone Stockman.
I have a few baseball caps and of course a few western hats, but that hat is one I'd like to try on for size! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

FRJ wrote:I like old glasses for some reason.
FRJ, shoot me a PM your name and address to me and I'll send you the glasses pictured below.
They are from the 40's-50's. No money necessary.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

cudgee wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:Isn't it wonderful.......collecting, hoarding, accumulating, acquiring, etc.,.......If nobody did this, family histories would disappear, legacies would be lost, our past would just be guesswork to future generations. I should start a separate topic on what is the oldest item that you have, but some other time. I just think it's fantastic to not only pass down written documentation for future generations, but to back it up with actual pieces of our history. Thanks to everybody who has contributed thus far. Let's keep it going. If you're hesitant because you don't feel your item(s) are relevant, think again. Post what you have, share it with us.
Well said my friend ::handshake:: I am envious of you living on a mountain, i used to have a bush shack in the high country, but due to some bad financial investing, had to unload it, ::facepalm:: boy do i miss it. Take care and stay safe. ::tu::
As soon as I moved up here, my stress level dropped to almost nothing. I'm originally from a small town and this place fits me like a glove. To say that it's slow paced is putting it mildly. It's a shame that I had to live and work for 36 years in that melting pot of........., otherwise known as Los Angeles. But that is where my job was and good jobs were/are hard to find. Take care of yourself, Skip. ::handshake::

Skip
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Skip, you lived and worked in LA for 36 years? OMG, you have my most sincere sympathies.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

djknife13 wrote:I got bit early with the collecting bug. When I was little I was collecting things that I would put in my office some day. I collected small rubber horses and everything that once belonged to my Grandpa. I have my Dad's baby dish and his shaving mug, Mom's old Pig cutting board, toys I played with as a kid, and pretty much everything someone gave me as a gift. My office isn't near big enough, but it's full. I wrote an article years ago for Knife World about "Three Easy Lessons" on collecting with pictures of my office. It's a museum of my life and hard wired into me is a collector. I doubt professional help could change that even if I wanted to which I don't. ____Dave
Teriffic story! I have a couple of my paternal grandfather's items, nothing from the other grandparents. I have alot of my father's stuff. I have a few of my mother's kitchen gadgets. I have some of my baby stuff. The toys I had as a child are long gone, donated to charity or just tossed out by my parents. I did manage to save my collection of Matchbox cars/vehicles and just recently, sold them all off. I do wish that I had those toys I grew up with, they are worth some money now. But I still have the memories associated with them.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jerryd6818 wrote:Skip, you lived and worked in LA for 36 years? OMG, you have my most sincere sympathies.
Thank you Jerry. Yup, got transferred from N.Y. Telephone (had 4 years there) in October 1978 to Pacific Telephone. Pacific Telephone became Pacific Bell, which became SBC, which became AT&T and I retired in July 2014 with 40 years service. Then.....
I got the ::censored:: out of there. Just in time too, I was quickly losing my mind. :D

Skip

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”