What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

We all talk about knives and sometimes other subjects. But besides knives and knife related items, what else do you collect, if anything?

I have: 30,000+ sports cards. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, NASCAR, etc. I no longer collect cards.
200+ bottles of various hot sauces (unopened). I no longer collect hot sauce bottles.
75+ pieces of antique, vintage and modern Popeye items. I no longer collect Popeye.
75+ pieces of Black memorabilia. I no longer collect this category.
50+ 1:24 scale Jeff Gordon diecast cars. Stopped collecting when he retired.
50+ cigarette promo items. Marlboro, Joe Camel, etc. I quit smoking 7 years ago. No longer collect.
75+ Star Trek (original series) items. No longer collect.
20+ Byers Choice Carolers. My mother bought me these items. I do not collect them.
300+ Simpsons items. From the beginning to ? I no longer collect Simpsons.
Pretty big coin collection. Half was inherited, half accumulated over the years. I check my pocket change, not formal.
Pretty big stamp collection. Half inherited, half accumulated over the years. Not actively collecting.
300+ glass power insulators. Obtained these myself off utility poles prior to retirement. Not actively collecting.
200+ beer tap handles. Semi actively collecting.
100+ pieces German WW2 items. Still very active collecting.
Pocket knives. VERY ACTIVE!

I'm not going to post any pictures as it would just be too much. If anyone collects any of these items, EXCEPT for the tap handles, the German WW2 stuff, stamps, coins and the pocket knives, and you're looking for a particular item or items, shoot me a PM and I'll look. It "should" only take me a few minutes to a few hours. As far as the sports cards, EXCEPT for the baseball cards, I can locate any card or cards in the other sports categories pretty quickly. THIS IS NOT A FOR SALE AD, JUST A FYI!! So what do you collect?
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
zoogirl

Re: What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by zoogirl »

I collect anything to do with Alice Cooper. I have almost all his studio albums on both CD and vinyl as well as cassette and a couple of 8 tracks. I’ve also got an assortment of figures, tickets, etc. My prizes are a “feather” from one of the 1979 dancing chickens, which was tossed of the stage right into my arms, and my memorabilia covered biker jacket which hi signed on the back. I was wearing it at the time. :mrgreen:
I also, to a much lesser extent, collect Joan Jett/Runaways stuff.

There’s also a pile of small antique everyday items, some fairly decent coins, a large stake of guitars and ukes, bows and air guns.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Great topic New_Windsor_NY. Thanks for starting it. ::tu::

Besides the 400+ knife collection, I collect:

Writing pens. I have a collection of very fine pens like Mont Blac, wooden pens and over 300 logo pens from doctor's office, conventions I've attended, hotels I've stayed in or just products I've used.

Challenge Coins. I have a small collection of coins including Pope John Paul II, a 2 star General and several from the ships I was stationed on.

Porcelain: I have about 15 pieces of Lladro porcelain.

Crystal: 22 pieces of Swarovski Figurines.

Handguns: I've just started a collection of modern handguns, currently with 7.

Glassware: My wife has a huge collection of "Forest Green" glassware over 100 pieces. She had to buy a collectors cataloge in order to find out what pieces she didn't have.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

David, I see we have one thing in common, wives that collect green glass. :) I encourage my wife to go look for her green stuff and every now and then we also find a knife. ::sneaky::
We've got some coins, some firearms, some flint points, books, the list could go on and of course a bunch of knives, some of them are good, some are bad and some are indifferent. :wink: Stuff that the kids will probably discard without much thought. ::uc:: Oh, I suppose I need to mention antique bottles, there are a few of those on display.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

zoogirl wrote:I collect anything to do with Alice Cooper. I have almost all his studio albums on both CD and vinyl as well as cassette and a couple of 8 tracks. I’ve also got an assortment of figures, tickets, etc. My prizes are a “feather” from one of the 1979 dancing chickens, which was tossed of the stage right into my arms, and my memorabilia covered biker jacket which hi signed on the back. I was wearing it at the time. :mrgreen:

There’s also a pile of small antique everyday items, some fairly decent coins, a large stake of guitars and ukes, bows and air guns.

Thought you might get a kick out of this, or not. I met Alice Cooper in 1991. I had to install a land-line (phone line) for him in the recording studio he was using. Skip ahead, he was "impressed" that I wasn't "star struck" and that I left him alone. Skip ahead, when I was finished, we chatted for a few minutes and then he went and got this 8 X 10 photo and signed it for me (I didn't ask him). After work, I went to my favorite watering hole for some vitamins and he showed up about an hour later. He recognized me and invited me to join him. He ended up paying my tab, which wasn't cheap. After that, every time he was in town, I was the only technician he asked for. We would meet at the same bar and shoot the ::censored:: I last saw him in 2006(?) Over the years he gave me guitar picks, drum sticks and other miscellaneous items. I have since lost or sold everything except the 8X10 photo. He was/is a VERY nice gentleman and easy to talk to. Please do not mistake this for bragging. It's just a story. I blocked out my name for my own reasons. Click on photo to "straighten" it.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Skip
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

treefarmer wrote:David, I see we have one thing in common, wives that collect green glass. :) I encourage my wife to go look for her green stuff and every now and then we also find a knife. ::sneaky::
We've got some coins, some firearms, some flint points, books, the list could go on and of course a bunch of knives, some of them are good, some are bad and some are indifferent. :wink: Stuff that the kids will probably discard without much thought. ::uc:: Oh, I suppose I need to mention antique bottles, there are a few of those on display.
Treefarmer
We also think a little alike. I love it when Cheryl wants to go shopping for more glassware or something else, because just as you said, KNIVES! And if she is with me when I find one she rarely says anything. ::super_happy::
My grandkids have more of an appreciation for the things we have collected than our kids do. ::shrug:: I may have to look at my WILL again. ::hmm::

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Tobacco tags
Phonographs
78 rpm records
Audubon prints
Coins
Antique tools
Tim
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
zoogirl wrote:I collect anything to do with Alice Cooper. I have almost all his studio albums on both CD and vinyl as well as cassette and a couple of 8 tracks. I’ve also got an assortment of figures, tickets, etc. My prizes are a “feather” from one of the 1979 dancing chickens, which was tossed of the stage right into my arms, and my memorabilia covered biker jacket which hi signed on the back. I was wearing it at the time. :mrgreen:

Thought you might get a kick out of this, or not. I met Alice Cooper in 1991. I had to install a land-line (phone line) for him in the recording studio he was using. Skip ahead, he was "impressed" that I wasn't "star struck" and that I left him alone. Skip ahead, when I was finished, we chatted for a few minutes and then he went and got this 8 X 10 photo and signed it for me (I didn't ask him). After work, I went to my favorite watering hole for some vitamins and he showed up about an hour later. He recognized me and invited me to join him. He ended up paying my tab, which wasn't cheap. After that, every time he was in town, I was the only technician he asked for. We would meet at the same bar and shoot the ::censored:: I last saw him in 2006(?) Over the years he gave me guitar picks, drum sticks and other miscellaneous items. I have since lost or sold everything except the 8X10 photo. He was/is a VERY nice gentleman and easy to talk to. Please do not mistake this for bragging. It's just a story. I blocked out my name for my own reasons. Click on photo to "straighten" it.
That is a most awesome story.
I’m a little surprised by the bar part. As I understand it, he’s been a non drinker for many years.
From everything I’ve heard or read, he does seem to be quite a nice guy. When I met him, at a record signing just a few years ago, I took along the “chicken feather”. He looked at it, then said to me “you know, I married one of those chickens!”.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

zoogirl wrote:
New_Windsor_NY wrote:

That is a most awesome story.
I’m a little surprised by the bar part. As I understand it, he’s been a non drinker for many years.
From everything I’ve heard or read, he does seem to be quite a nice guy. When I met him, at a record signing just a few years ago, I took along the “chicken feather”. He looked at it, then said to me “you know, I married one of those chickens!”.
Your encounter was pretty cool also. Sorry, I wasn't clear. It was a British Pub & Restaurant. I drank beer, he had soda or iced tea or.......but not alcohol.

Skip
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I still consider myself more of an Accumulator than a collector of knives. I accumulate t-shirts but I wear all of them so I'm not collecting them. They're clothes for cripes sake but I do have over a hundred. I also accumulate woodworking and other sorts of tools but they're for use so that's not collecting and last but not least, I accumulate Marine Corps memorabilia. Nothing specific, just what I like when I see it and what Linnea gives me for Christmas/birthdays.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

In addition to knives, swords/sabers, bayonets, axes, spears of which I have multiple collections running, I also collect/accumulate -

-challenge coins
--- one line is coins for my ships/duty stations
--- a second line is of all ships that my fleet oiler, USS MERRIMACK (AO-179) refueled while I was serving as Ship's Navigator/First Lieutenant/Admin Officer (yes I had all 3 jobs simultaneously)
--- a third line is all coins that catch my fancy

-Boy Scout memorabilia
--- vintage 2 piece belt buckles - (currently at 50)
--- OA lodge hat pins (30+)
--- other stuff - bugles, Philmont slides, single piece buckles, hat badges

-ROTC related
--- ROTC unit DI/DUI epaulet insignia (in excess of 120, a few duplicates)
--- Texas A&M ROTC patches/etc (60+)
--- ROTC Hat Badges

-Whistles -- currently sitting at around 70
--- Police
--- Military
--- Boy/Girl Scout

-WW2 ARP related
--- whistles, hand bells, gas rattles, pins, fire axes
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

jerryd6818 wrote: I accumulate t-shirts but I wear all of them so I'm not collecting them.
::tu::
Same here. Have over 200 NASCAR shirts (1990's and prior). I wear them all.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Robo

Post by Robo »

I collect 90s era Akai Digital Samplers and Drum Sequencer/Samplers. Of course I also use them to make PHATTT beats. See photos for a couple examples.

1) MPC S-3000 16 bit Sampler (on top) MPC 3000 16 bit Sequencer/Sampler

2) Akai S-900 12 bit Sampler, S-1000 16 Bit Sampler, S-950 12 Bit Sampler

Trust me, pocket knives are much more wife friendly. She's a minimalist when it comes to earthly possessions, I'm a bulky maximalist and it shows when it comes to these monsters. Knives can be neatly tucked away.

Thanks for the refreshing topic!!!!
Attachments
1. Akai S-3000, Akai MPC 3000
1. Akai S-3000, Akai MPC 3000
2. Akai S-900, S-1000, S-950
2. Akai S-900, S-1000, S-950
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Besides collecting knives I also collect knife sharpeners of various kinds, antique to modern.
I collect a few antique hand tools, I accumulate fishing poles and fishing gear, but it's really not an effort to collect, it's just stuff that accumulates.
I collect Marine Corps baseball caps, but I too feel like they're an article of clothing and I wear them. One will become a favorite and I will wear it until I either get tired of it, wear it out or I get a new one that I like better. I am rarely gone from home without one on my head. I do have a few other baseball caps, some are actually baseball related, I have my Little League coach's ball cap from my coach my son's Little League team (my favorite). I have a "My Granddaughters in the U.S. Army" ball cap that was good through to granddaughter serving in the Army. I have several Navy ship baseball caps from two of my nephew's who served in the Navy. One of them is still in the Navy and just picked up chief last year. My second favorite baseball themed baseball cap has been rather beaten and battered but it is I believe yellow and green and says Billy Ball from when Billy Martin was coaching in Oakland. As I recall it was the last time he coached in Oakland. I wasn't an Oakland fan, but I sure did like Billy Martin, the man was pure entertainment!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

does dust count ... ?
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Funny Chris!!

I collect items from my grandmothers dairy. I've found every piece on ebay over the last 10 years.
And items from my grandsons.....like gifts they've given me with play money they earned at school.
Now, I'm not asking for gifts, but my knife collection consists of gifts from friends on AAPK and family.
Attachments
IMG_1594.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have a lot of old tools, from wrenches to tap and die sets, to anvils to power tools, but they're all in my shop and get used frequently so it's not really a collection. Some of them I bought used 50+ years ago and some of it was bought recently at flea markets or estate sales. If I see something I can use and the price is right, I buy it. Most of it is better quality and lower priced than new "Made in China" crap. ::nod::

I also have a copy of every novel Elmer Kelton ever published,. Many are first editions, some are rare. I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago. Turned out we had a mutual friend. Long story but he signed every one of the books for me. I guess that's a collection. :)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I collect bobbleheads (mainly Nats) and I was into watches right before I got into pocket knives. I recently spent over $100 getting watch batteries replaced and realized a little too late that automatics and mechanical watches are the route to go. Here's a few pictures of my bobblehead collection in my office.
Attachments
IMG_20190809_115756441.jpg
IMG_20190809_115806330.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

1967redrider wrote:I collect bobbleheads (mainly Nats) and I was into watches right before I got into pocket knives. I recently spent over $100 getting watch batteries replaced and realized a little too late that automatics and mechanical watches are the route to go. Here's a few pictures of my bobblehead collection in my office.
I've owned 3 bobbleheads in my lifetime. A N.Y. Mets "Mr. Met" from 1964/65, a generic N.Y. Yankees from the late 1980's and a Jack In The Box (the fast food joint) "Jack." Sold the Mr Met and still have "Jack." Interesting story about the Yankees one. I used to sell on a site called "ioffer." In October 2004, I was contacted by the "set decorating coordinator" for Paramount Pictures. She was interested in some Yankees items I was selling and wanted to purchase them (the list is below). I sold the items on the list which included the Yankees bobblehead. They were to be used as props on the set of the Tom Cruise movie, "War Of The Worlds."
Skip ahead, she got all the items safe and sound. I never saw the film in the theater. I waited for the DVD to come out. When it did, I literally went frame by frame to see if I could find any of the items that I had sold. The only item that I have found to date, is the bobblehead. I paused the movie and took a picture of it. You can see it on the entertainment center, below and to the left of the Ford sign. I still look for any of the other items but no luck. I guess that was my indirect "15 minutes of fame."
Click the pictures to enlarge.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Great topic and interesting posts.....My only "active" collection is Official Scout, H&B and LF&C folding knives but my inactive collections include:

(a) Boy Scout Memorabilia (patches, neckerchiefs and slides etc. for Jamborees, Wood Badge, Philmont, OA, Eagle Scout)
(b) Minox Sub-Miniature Photography (Camera's, Tripods, Flashes, Light Meters, etc.)
(c) US Mint Silver and Gold Proof Sets
(d) Antique Bamboo Fly Rods
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
1967redrider wrote:I collect bobbleheads (mainly Nats) and I was into watches right before I got into pocket knives. I recently spent over $100 getting watch batteries replaced and realized a little too late that automatics and mechanical watches are the route to go. Here's a few pictures of my bobblehead collection in my office.
I've owned 3 bobbleheads in my lifetime. A N.Y. Mets "Mr. Met" from 1964/65, a generic N.Y. Yankees from the late 1980's and a Jack In The Box (the fast food joint) "Jack." Sold the Mr Met and still have "Jack." Interesting story about the Yankees one. I used to sell on a site called "ioffer." In October 2004, I was contacted by the "set decorating coordinator" for Paramount Pictures. She was interested in some Yankees items I was selling and wanted to purchase them (the list is below). I sold the items on the list which included the Yankees bobblehead. They were to be used as props on the set of the Tom Cruise movie, "War Of The Worlds."
Skip ahead, she got all the items safe and sound. I never saw the film in the theater. I waited for the DVD to come out. When it did, I literally went frame by frame to see if I could find any of the items that I had sold. The only item that I have found to date, is the bobblehead. I paused the movie and took a picture of it. You can see it on the entertainment center, below and to the left of the Ford sign. I still look for any of the other items but no luck. I guess that was my indirect "15 minutes of fame."
Click the pictures to enlarge.
Cool story! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

In addition to collecting knives and guns, I have a small collection of glass paperweights, a few coin banks, several alabaster figures carved by Native American artists, and numerous pieces of pottery made by local artist Jim Wright.
Attachments
IMG_6171.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6165.JPG
IMG_6166.JPG
IMG_6170.JPG
IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6169.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

philco wrote:In addition to collecting knives and guns, I have a small collection of glass paperweights, a few coin banks, several alabaster figures carved by Native American artists, and numerous pieces of pottery made by local artist Jim Wright.
That is some mighty fine looking pottery Phil. My wife looks for that style every now and then.

samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Besides knives I collect money, but I have more knives than money.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

samb1955 wrote:Besides knives I collect money, but I have more knives than money.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what you mean!! :( :( :(

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”