What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: What Else Do You Collect Besides Knives?

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 pm Been considering collecting a few older lighters. Anybody out there who can give me a few pointers? ::shrug::
Good brands, bad brands, forums, parts availability, etcetera. ::tu::

Thanks, ::handshake::
Tom
Very good looking lighters Tom. ::tu::
Tom, I have a few Zippos that have "applied" logos, emblems, etc. Here are mine, they are mixed in with "regular" Zippos.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=63250&p=751086&hil ... rs#p751086
Not once has one fallen off of the lighter. That would be a nice branch of lighter collecting to explore.
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm This is more a keepsake than a collectable. I picked it up at the PX on MCB 29 Palms in early 1963 and had my initials engraved on the back. Lost it twice and wonder of wonders, it came back to me both times. I smoked for 33 years, carried and used it for all of those 33 years. The hinge has been replaced by Zippo. For the longest time the hinge pin was a bent over straight pin. Retired it 25 years ago when I quit smoking in April of '95. It's like an old friend and has been all over the world with me.

BTW, the crest was enameled when I bought it.
Nice history and keepsake Jerry. ::tu::
Waukonda wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:33 am Good stuff, Tom. Post more pics of your collection.
You reminded me of a few items I have, match safes. For those unfamiliar, they were the precursor to the lighter. They allowed a person to carry wooden matches in a safe and dry manner. They also came with a striker on the bottom. The one with the dog pictured, belonged to my great grandfather.
Here is the only match safe that I have. It's been in my family for almost 75 years. I don't have any special memories involving it. It is a Saint Christopher match safe with a 6 year calendar (1946-1951).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.56 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm This is more a keepsake than a collectable. I picked it up at the PX on MCB 29 Palms in early 1963 and had my initials engraved on the back. Lost it twice and wonder of wonders, it came back to me both times. I smoked for 33 years, carried and used it for all of those 33 years. The hinge has been replaced by Zippo. For the longest time the hinge pin was a bent over straight pin. Retired it 25 years ago when I quit smoking in April of '95. It's like an old friend and has been all over the world with me.

That's a very nice keepsake Jerry! I can understand it being like an old friend. ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm
TPK wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 pm Been considering collecting a few older lighters. Anybody out there who can give me a few pointers? ::shrug::
Good brands, bad brands, forums, parts availability, etcetera. ::tu::

Thanks, ::handshake::
Tom
Very good looking lighters Tom. ::tu::
Tom, I have a few Zippos that have "applied" logos, emblems, etc. Here are mine, they are mixed in with "regular" Zippos.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=63250&p=751086&hil ... rs#p751086
Not once has one fallen off of the lighter. That would be a nice branch of lighter collecting to explore.

Nice history and keepsake Jerry. ::tu::
Waukonda wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:33 am Good stuff, Tom. Post more pics of your collection.
You reminded me of a few items I have, match safes. For those unfamiliar, they were the precursor to the lighter. They allowed a person to carry wooden matches in a safe and dry manner. They also came with a striker on the bottom. The one with the dog pictured, belonged to my great grandfather.
Here is the only match safe that I have. It's been in my family for almost 75 years. I don't have any special memories involving it. It is a Saint Christopher match safe with a 6 year calendar (1946-1951).
Great lighters Skip! Especially the Indian Head & D-Day! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
And the match safe with calendar is really something else! ::tu:: :D

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

What else do you collect......does rubber bands count? ::shrug::
::hmm::
20200125_113639.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TPK

Post by TPK »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:06 pm What else do you collect......does rubber bands count? ::shrug::
20200125_113639.jpg
::hmm:: I'm curious...could you count them for us? ::woot:: lol! ::super_happy::
That's the most beautiful collection of rubber bands I have ever seen David! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
You have very interesting big balls of rubber bands! ::handshake:: lol! ::super_happy::

Tom

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hide your eyes. Those are golf balls with their clothes off. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:06 pm What else do you collect......does rubber bands count? ::shrug::
I remember when I was a kid, I used to take old golf balls and scrape them down on the concrete. If you scraped long enough, you were "rewarded" with a ball of "rubber bands" that looked quite similar to yours (the smaller one). Usually ended up with badly scraped knuckles also.

Skip
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 pm
I remember when I was a kid, I used to take old golf balls and scrape them down on the concrete. If you scraped long enough, you were "rewarded" with a ball of "rubber bands" that looked quite similar to yours (the smaller one). Usually ended up with badly scraped knuckles also.
If you cut through the rubber bands on a golf ball, you will find a core. Sometimes the core was a solid piece of rubber or cork, sometimes it was a hollow rubber ball filled with some sort of gooey liquid. But, not all golf balls had rubber bands - some were different layers of solid materials.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was mistaken. I changed it. In my defense, it's been waaaay too many years.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I think I stayed away from posting in this thread because it would probably be easier to say what I do NOT collect rather than what I do. I will post a few pictures of my shop that some refer to as the,"SMITHsonian".The pictures will explain that.
Basically besides my,"indiscriminate accumulation" of knives I also like:
Vintage spray guns and related painting equipment.....scale model vehicles(automobiles,motorcycles,boats,aircraft,etc.).....vintage tool boxes and tools......vintage wrist and pocket watches and clocks...... art books of every description;mostly for use in my craft........art work from many artists both living and not..... vintage cameras and related gear........belt buckles........and lastly anything unusual that I see that,"trips my trigger".
I used to have a small accumulation of automobiles but have since pared that down considerably. I am happy to see so many others similarly afflicted as myself! :mrgreen:
Attachments
displayWallEast2 079.jpg
displayWallEast2 080.jpg
Garage0 001.jpg
Garage0 002.jpg
Garage0 003.jpg
Garage0 004.jpg
Garage0 005.jpg
Garage0 006.jpg
MiscellaneousGaragePics 001.jpg
MiscellaneousGaragePics 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mo'pics
Attachments
MotorizedDisplayCase 5-23-2018 001.jpg
Notmad7.jpg
Notmad9.jpg
Notmad10.jpg
Notmad14.jpg
SouthWallDisplay55 001.jpg
SouthWallDisplay55 053.jpg
SouthWallDisplay55 054.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have recently decided to expand my now small collection of cartridges. So I built this wall display to house them. It holds 155 cartridges plus the "Bible" of cartridges, Frank Barnes book "Cartridges of the World". Will probably have to build a few more display cabinets as I accumulate more cartridges.
IMG_3450.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:40 pm I have recently decided to expand my now small collection of cartridges. So I built this wall display to house them. It holds 155 cartridges plus the "Bible" of cartridges, Frank Barnes book "Cartridges of the World". Will probably have to build a few more display cabinets as I accumulate more cartridges.

IMG_3450.JPG
Nice assemblage! I had a friend and fellow knife collector who had a nice collection of Winchester rifles in an amazing collection of calibers along with the requisite ammunition.Sadly he passed many years ago and I helped his widow dispose of the collection.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 pm I think I stayed away from posting in this thread because it would probably be easier to say what I do NOT collect rather than what I do. I will post a few pictures of my shop that some refer to as the,"SMITHsonian".The pictures will explain that.
Basically besides my,"indiscriminate accumulation" of knives I also like:
Vintage spray guns and related painting equipment.....scale model vehicles(automobiles,motorcycles,boats,aircraft,etc.).....vintage tool boxes and tools......vintage wrist and pocket watches and clocks...... art books of every description;mostly for use in my craft........art work from many artists both living and not..... vintage cameras and related gear........belt buckles........and lastly anything unusual that I see that,"trips my trigger".
I used to have a small accumulation of automobiles but have since pared that down considerably. I am happy to see so many others similarly afflicted as myself! :mrgreen:
Knifeknut, me too. Well almost. My collection room/office looks just like yours only a little smaller. I really need a bigger room.____Dave
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great stuff knife7knut & Olde Cutler! ::tu:: :D

I just bought this Antique USA Flag Zippo #52444. (First picture) It will look good in my showcase standing next to some Case knives. Can't wait till it gets here! ::super_happy:: Could take a few weeks though. :mrgreen: Depending on if customs makes me come pick it up or if it gets through to me without any stress. ::shrug:: Time will tell.

If it gets here stress free, I would also like to get the Zippo #52473 in the second picture. ::tu::
Attachments
I just bought this 52444 Zippo.
I just bought this 52444 Zippo.
This 52473 Zippo will probably be my next one. :-)
This 52473 Zippo will probably be my next one. :-)

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice Zippos Tom!!! ::tu::
KOOL!! 8)
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
TPK

Post by TPK »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:26 pm Nice Zippos Tom!!! ::tu::
KOOL!! 8)
Thanks John! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice Case Zippos Tom. ::nod::
I carried Zippos for years. I always overfilled them with fluid though and would receive minor burns on my thighs. :x . It did not stop me though, if you were not carrying a Zippo, you were not cool.
As time went by I purchased a Vu-Lighter, similar to below. (Lost it many years ago)

img111.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TPK

Post by TPK »

TPK wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 pm Great stuff knife7knut & Olde Cutler! ::tu:: :D

I just bought this Antique USA Flag Zippo #52444. (First picture) It will look good in my showcase standing next to some Case knives. Can't wait till it gets here! ::super_happy:: Could take a few weeks though. :mrgreen: Depending on if customs makes me come pick it up or if it gets through to me without any stress. ::shrug:: Time will tell.

If it gets here stress free, I would also like to get the Zippo #52473 in the second picture. ::tu::
Hi Friends,

My first CASE XX ZIPPO showed up today. I'm totally stoked about it!!! ::super_happy:: Got to me without any stress so I plan on buying the second one I wanted next month. ::tu:: I'm unsure, should I leave the sticker on the back of it or remove it? It's a showcase item. Does the sticker matter what the lighter is worth 30 years down the road? Can the glue harm the finish? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! ::tu:: Thanks in advanced! ::handshake:: Tom
Attachments
P_20200220_191633.jpg
P_20200220_191719.jpg
P_20200220_191800.jpg
P_20200220_191853.jpg
P_20200220_192143.jpg

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice score Tom!!! Leave the sticker on it in the carton it came in unless you are going to use it.. ::nod:: And don't break the sticker at the lid..
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Nice Zippo Tom ::nod::.
Personally, I would leave the sticker on, however if you want to use the lighter, or make it more presentable, a good way to remove the sticker without damaging the sticker....Borrow your wife's hair dryer, apply medium heat, the sticker will eventually curl and lift off without damaging the sticker in case you want to keep the sticker for historical reasons. ::shrug:: Than a little 3 in 1 oil will clean up any glue residue remaining on the lighter.
Anna uses this technique to remove old shipping labels from incoming mail boxes so that we can reuse them.
She also removed the labels from our new house windows a couple years ago so that we could save them if requested for the energy-efficient home improvement tax credit.
Much better than a "razor blade."
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 pm Hi Friends,

My first CASE XX ZIPPO showed up today. I'm totally stoked about it!!! ::super_happy:: Got to me without any stress so I plan on buying the second one I wanted next month. ::tu:: I'm unsure, should I leave the sticker on the back of it or remove it? It's a showcase item. Does the sticker matter what the lighter is worth 30 years down the road? Can the glue harm the finish? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! ::tu:: Thanks in advanced! ::handshake:: Tom
Tom, VERY nice looking Zippo. ::tu:: I'd leave it exactly the way you received it. The plastic cover can be used as a stand for the lighter case so the lighter can be displayed. Get a cheapo lighter for your carry lighter.

Skip
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Tom,

I echo what those have already stated...if it's going to be a 'show piece', leave the sticker on.

As a side note: and not to compete with Old Folder's 3 in 1 oil technique for removing glue, (which I've never tried, but will ::tu:: ) one can also use vegetable oil to remove the glue. I've used this for years and actually works better than Goof Off. One must be careful using Goof Off on some things, because it will destroy / melt some plastics and ruin painted surfaces. Ask me how I know this! ::dang::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hats? I don’t really collect them. But I do wear them.

Ken
Attachments
3B78B11F-903A-416F-ADF6-CB09CD5A8062.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks for your input guys! I guess I'll leave the sticker on it. ::tu:: :D

Nice looking hats Ken! I know nothing about Cowboy Hats but they look like they are of a high quality! ::tu:: :D

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”