Australian fires

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Australian fires

Post by carrmillus »

..glad to hear you are o.k., grant!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Lord I ask for for enough rain in Australia to put out the fires and end the drought.
Amen
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Amen to what Dale prayed.

Stay safe Brothers Down Under.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Grant, it's been awhile. Good to hear from you. I'm glad you're safe.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

My thoughts and prayers go out too all my brothers and sisters in arms down under ::pray:: ::pray:: . And also to my friends done in sunshine state.
God bless and protect you all through this trying time.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I just saw a TV news report about the American C-130 that crashed helping to fight the fires. It's hard to believe that we're now into January and those fires are still raging on. Everyone take a moment today and pray for the people of Australia, the families of the C-130 crew and that these fires will be extinguished very soon.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Praying for rain for our friends. ::pray::

Please stay safe over there folks. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:21 pm I just saw a TV news report about the American C-130 that crashed helping to fight the fires. It's hard to believe that we're now into January and those fires are still raging on. Everyone take a moment today and pray for the people of Australia, the families of the C-130 crew and that these fires will be extinguished very soon.
You're right on David with the prayers. January however is mid-summer in Australia so unfortunately the weather isn't likely to provide sustained relief. All the more reason prayers are needed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

The C-130 is not used in the U.S. for fighting wildfires, the wings have literally fallen off in flight. Extremely sad, one pilot was from Montana. The company was a Canadian firm based in the US, which have different rules. My mothers husband is a Senior Pilot for Erickson Tankers, they have flown their MD 87 over to Australia and will be based out of Perth. 35,000 gallons of fuel used and three stops for fuel to get there. Prayers for everyone involved.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Montanaman wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 pm The C-130 is not used in the U.S. for fighting wildfires, the wings have literally fallen off in flight.
The wings fell off a C-130??? Hmmmm. I've flown in those once or thrice. I thought they were a pretty good airplane. A real workhorse.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

They are old military planes, outdated and dangerous, can not be used by companys in the US to fight fires as a tanker.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

My nephew used to fly the C-130 in this squadron: https://www.146aw.ang.af.mil/News/Photo ... 2000136244
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:08 pm
Montanaman wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 pm The C-130 is not used in the U.S. for fighting wildfires, the wings have literally fallen off in flight.
The wings fell off a C-130??? Hmmmm. I've flown in those once or thrice. I thought they were a pretty good airplane. A real workhorse.
I hear you, Brother! ::hmm::
Semper Fi
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Don't count them out just yet. Lockheed Martin just won a 3B+ US order for 50 C-130J transports. California Dept. of Forestry and Fire Protection have ask for budget increases in FY19/20; FY20/21 & FY21/22 C-130 FireFighting and Training programs. Like the B-52 it's just too good of a air platform to go away.

But back to the subject of the fires, in my worst nightmare I can't think of how bad those fires are. Everyone continue to keep the people of Australia in your prayers.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/new ... -130j.html
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The C-130 has a reputation of being an unusually strong airframe. There may be some technical reason that makes it undesirable for fire fighting. Or, if stress fractures developed without being identified by good maintenance, perhaps there was a catastrophic failure. But I would be very interested in learning the cause of any wing failure on this rugged plane.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

There was a crash back in 2002 of a fire-fighting C-130A where the wings buckled. However, that was on a very old airframe - that C-130A was from the 1950s and had been retired from the military in 1986. The one that crashed in Australia was a much newer airframe - an EC-130Q that had been delivered new to the US Navy in 1981 and was acquired by Coulson for fire fighting in 2017.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”