Request from the oldest living U.S. Marine.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Request from the oldest living U.S. Marine.

Post by Old Folder »

Last Thursday morning as I was enjoying my "First Cup Diner" and browsing through aapk, a news item came over Fox news Channel 11 stating that the oldest living U.S. Marine (104) has a simple request.
I did a little research online and I have posted the results along with Maj. White's request below.
Please take some time within the next few days and grant this great American Hero's wish.
My card goes out tomorrow.

maxresdefault.jpg
45748927_771004689900350_1808692092206055424_o.jpg

A 104-year-old Marine Corps veteran is asking people to send him Valentine's Day cards.
By Alaa Elassar, CNN

Updated 8:42 AM ET, Tue January 14, 2020
104-year-old WWII veteran asks for Valentine's Day cards.

Maj. Bill White, a California native, has had a lifetime full of unforgettable experiences. He has collected objects and filled scrapbooks to remind him of special memories which he keeps on a bookshelf organized by year.
But now, the young-spirited veteran wants to expand his collection of memories, and he's asking the public to help by sending him a card this Valentine's Day, February 14th, 2020.
"I'll save every one of them like I've been saving little things that have come up until right now and they'll be a personal part of my history," White told CNN affiliate KTXL.
And that history of his is more than eventful.
White earned a Purple Heart for surviving the Battle of Iwo Jima in 1945. The bloody battle between the US Marines and Imperial Army of Japan lasted five weeks, killing nearly 7,000 US Marines and more than 20,000 Japanese fighters.
"When I was wounded, I didn't have any choice in the matter. A grenade blow up about 6 inches from me," White told KTXL.
"The fact that I even survived is something. There weren't too many of us."
The veteran, who spent 30 years on active duty, was taken off the battlefield as a result of his injuries.
White told KTXL his love for scrapbooking keeps him busy, allowing him to "keep track" of his life's special events.
But the real key to his long and positive life, he said, was simple: "Just keep breathing."
If you'd like to send White a Valentine's Day card, you can mail it to:

Operation Valentine
ATTN: Hold for Maj Bill White, USMC (Ret)
The Oaks at Inglewood
6725 Inglewood Ave.
Stockton, CA 95207

Bill’s History
Born July 31, 1915, Bill White was born in Long Beach and grew up in the Southern California area. After high school, he enlisted in the Marine Corps., but was turned down due to a skin condition. Without hesitation, he moved to the next opportunity, which was a construction project in Arizona that would be later called The Hoover Dam. He spent a year and a half working the dam by driving the trucks into the tunnels.

Bill in the Marine Corps.
In 1934, he played his cards again with the Marine Corps. He was enlisted and crossed the equator on board the USS Colorado in 1936 as a “shellback.” He was stationed at Pearl Harbor from 1936 to 1937 before being transferred to the 4th Marine Regiment in Shanghai.

When WWII started in 1942, Bill was assigned to Parachute School and was transferred to the 4th Parachute Battalion in Bougainville. When the paratroopers were recalled from the Pacific in 1943, he went to the Parker Ranch in Hawaii to prep for the invasion of Iwo Jima.

Something big happened to Bill at the time while the invasion occurred.

Bill arrived at Iwo Jima on February 19, 1945. On the morning of February 28th, he was heading to the front lines. He was told to relieve another Marine in a foxhole. Tapping him on the shoulder, Bill said, “I’m here to relieve you.” When the man turned around, Bill realized that the Marine was his brother-in-law, the only brother of his wife. They only had the opportunity to say hello and then goodbye as they switched positions.

On March 3rd, Bill led his men to the direction of the Japanese front line. Under a salvo of rocket fire and grenades, he made his way closer to the line. After throwing two grenades, one of the Japanese grenades hit close to Bill, picking him up and slamming him against the wall. After staggering back to the First Aid Station and getting patched up, they listed him as a GSW or Gun Shot Wound. Nothing Bill could say changed their minds, and he was sent back to the U.S.

Bill’s Military Life Continues
Bill was assigned to Camp Pendleton in California where he assisted with the discharge of 400,000 Marines after the war. He was transferred to Pearl Harbor in 1947 where he met and married his second wife, Myra.

He was transferred to Washington DC in 1952 and then to Korea where he served with the 11th Marines Artillery. His daughters were born soon after, Mary in 1956 and Alice in 1958. He was sent to Okinawa in 1960 but returned home when Myra was diagnosed with cancer.

After Myra’s passing, Bill met and married his third wife, Jeanette. He was promoted to Major in 1963 and then retired from the Marine Corps. in June 1964 after 30 years of active service.

Bill wasn’t one to sit around. Shortly after retiring, the family moved to Huntington Beach where Bill became a member of the Huntington Beach Police Department working in the jail for 12 years.

Bill was also working as a volunteer and advisor for the Huntington Beach Search and Rescue for almost 30 years. He was instrumental in securing donations, including a building that became a permanent home for the program’s headquarters. The building is named “The White House” in honor of Bill and still serves the youth of the area today.

Bill Now
Bill lost his loving wife Jeanette after 40 years of marriage in 2001. His daughters live in California with Mary in Stockton and Alice in Sacramento. Bill has one granddaughter and three great-granddaughters. At the community, Bill is very much active by partaking in bingo, Wii bowling, sing-alongs, and socials, as well as many of the community outings.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Request from the oldest living U.S. Marine.

Post by jerryd6818 »

My goodness. 104 years old. Quite a storied career. 30 years in The Corps, a China Marine, WWII and Iwo Jima, from enlisted to officer and retired as a Major. Plus surviving 3 wives, that's really something. Semper Fi Marine. There's nothing more to say.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

God Bless him. I’ll make sure to send cards from my family.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

An impressive life...this Marine earned every bit of his 104 years. May he enjoy many more.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”