Artifacts

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: Artifacts

Post by WillyCamaro »

Looks like your not the only one with the same issues, here's a lead that might help...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a7301ccfdf
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Now I have Kaspersky virus protection.
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

But remember, you have to get any virus removed. I don't know how comfortable you would feel doing that yourself. I would require a pro for myself.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:48 am But remember, you have to get any virus removed. I don't know how comfortable you would feel doing that yourself. I would require a pro for myself.
I agree, Quick Steel, I have a contact number for a computer guy.
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Supposed to be a 1000 year old metal head of a Viking crossbow bolt. Came with certificate of authenticity that looks like anyone could have printed it up. Who knows, wouldn't be surprised either way.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200907_113942.jpg
thumbnail_20200907_114002.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very cool Iman. Probably could find some of those in some old european grave yards. Cool to have ::tu:: .
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Iman, if you are near a major meuseum or University you might check if there is someone on staff who might be willing to take a look at the item and render an opinion. If tests were going to be run I assume some charge would be made.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a nice artifact, Ivoryman. I hope it's as old as it is thought to be.
It looks rather refined to me, but an interesting pursuit.
I hope you will let us know if you get more information.

By the way; I got my computer issues mostly ironed out.
There was no nefarious deed involved in the demise of my computer. It just died. It apparently sent a message asking if I wanted to save certain things before it coughed it's last miserable breath but I was probably picking out potatoes at the store when I got that important message.
I got a new computer and a new security whatevertheirecalled thingy and I'm good to go.
The guy even fixed my printer which was so close to going in the trash. I'm glad I gave it one last chance.

Hey what's this button do .........
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for the comments all. Not that uncommon, all kinds of them for sale around, either they are all over the place like stone arrowheads or being faked. Didn't pay much so not out much if it was fake, but there's some serious rusty build up suggesting age. Interesting piece though. Thanks again.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Good to hear Joe ::tu:: .

Sounds like you have a knowledgeable tech guy... Like any good mechanic, you keep em'.
Probably your motherboard burnt out, or something broke, or a dooda bent/bust/burnt, yadda yadda. Nowadays, pc's are designed to only last 3, maybe 4 years. 5 and your super lucky, it tis what it is ::shrug:: .

Very cool piece Iman. At least if it ain't real, you have a fun conversation piece ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Seeing Ivoryman's rusty arrow head reminded me of a rusty artifact I found close to 50 years ago+/-.
I worked for the Orange County Water Pollution Control agency for 3 1/2 years prior to moving to the Panhandle. Without a doubt it was the best job I ever had besides farming. In the center of old Orlando is Lake Eola. In 1957 the city built a big fountain near the middle of the lake to celebrate the 100 year naming of Orlando, even though it wasn't incorporated until 1875. The lake is thought to be a sink hole and with well over 100 years of development around the lake it had become a large holding pond for all the surrounding storm drains. The lake became unhealthy as the water level was held at a fixed elevation for many, many years. No high or low water, no normal flushing as the creeks the once took the discharge were all under the brick streets of old Orlando.
This condition led to a restoration project that called for draining most of the lake, except for the sink hole, exposing the muddy bottom to air and sunshine for a specified time. The draining was accomplished with several big portable pumps that operated day and night for several weeks. The water was dumped into storm drains that led to some other lake down stream. We had done an experiment with the lake mud that proved it would dry up and that healthy aquatic plant seeds would sprout as the mud was naturally aerated. When the water level started to drop the Game Commission allowed some company to seine the lake and remove all the fish they could. I have no idea what they did with them. As the lake got lower and lower, it was decided that the remaining fish should be removed in order to not create an unhealthy situation with the odor of dead fish right under the Chamber of Commerce's nose while they were promoting tourism. Our agency was given the job of killing the fish and every other gov't. group that had a boat was involved with the clean up. We poured two 55 gallon drums of Rotenone over the side of a big work boat at about half throttle, making a big wake thus mixing the chemical and that caused the oxygen level to drop, causing the fish to come to the surface. Then all the crews had to do was net them and haul them off.
When all the excitement of the fish kill was over and the bottom mud began to dry, all sorts of things started showing up in the receding mud. Under the mud was the typical sand bottom common to lots of central Florida lakes. Naturally lots of trash was in the lake, beer bottle and cans but paying attention, some of the bottles were quite old. Like I said this was a wonderful job and while doing the sampling of the mud for the biologist back at the office/lab, I found several "keepers" in the antique bottle category. Slopping around in the mud, I stepped on something that felt a bit different. I fished around in the 4" deep mud and pulled up an old revolver.
The revolver was apparently nickel plated at one time, it is a Smith & Wesson, it had a bottom half of a leather holster on the barrel. It soon crumbled as we handled it. The cylinder didn't have any rounds in it unless it's time in the water deteriorated the brass. ::shrug:: Along with this old S&W there were several long guns fished out of the mud.
S&W found in Lake Eola, Orlando.
S&W found in Lake Eola, Orlando.
003.JPG
Displayed on the utility room wall.
Displayed on the utility room wall.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is an interesting story, treefarmer. A nice thing to be involved in.
What a great revolver you have there. Wouldn't you like to know the story behind it being in the lake.
Thanks for posting that here.
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great show, great story, would love to know how it got in the lake. Doesn't seem like something you would ditch unless you killed someone with it or were in the mob. Great conversation piece. Bet there are a lot of guns in the bottom of lakes, rivers, etc.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Somewhere in this thread, Joe posted pics of an old plane. Here are a few things that were owned and used by one of my grandpas. There are some molding planes, a draw knife and a level, all most likely from the 1920s. The Sealtest crate that I used for a prop is later, probably 1940s or 1950ish.
Attachments
20200911_164402.jpg
20200911_164250.jpg
Ike
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Ike, pretty neat!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
TPK

Post by TPK »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:55 pm Seeing Ivoryman's rusty arrow head reminded me of a rusty artifact I found close to 50 years ago+/-.
I worked for the Orange County Water Pollution Control agency for 3 1/2 years prior to moving to the Panhandle. Without a doubt it was the best job I ever had besides farming...
Treefarmer
Great story Philip! ::handshake:: :D

I'd Love to have a job doing stuff in & around the water all the time. Especially in a warm state like Florida. I'd even Look forward to going to work. ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Waukonda wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 pm Somewhere in this thread, Joe posted pics of an old plane. Here are a few things that were owned and used by one of my grandpas. There are some molding planes, a draw knife and a level, all most likely from the 1920s. The Sealtest crate that I used for a prop is later, probably 1940s or 1950ish.
Nice tools! ::tu:: :D

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great story Philip! ::handshake:: :D

I'd Love to have a job doing stuff in & around the water all the time. Especially in a warm state like Florida. I'd even Look forward to going to work. ::super_happy::
[/quote]

Tom, it was a wonderful job if you liked outdoor work! I was still fairly young, loved the outdoors, loved 4X4 trucks and all kinds of boats.
The Pollution Control Officer, the big dog that ran the agency, allowed us more freedom than I've ever seen on a job. The environmental issues were really heating up at that time in Central Florida, a political hot potato if you will. He knew how to get the money to procure what the department needed and didn't mind spending it. He bought us new trucks, even if they were Internationals (International Harvester had the FL. state contract for vehicles those years year), he allowed us, the field crew, to outfit the short bed 1/2 ton 4X4's with any wheels and tires we wanted, he purchased a new Scout (IH) for the the field crew leader. We had small specialized work boats for normal lake sampling, we had a big tri-hull shocking boat(for electro-fishing), we had a 17' runabout, very comfortable when we made river runs and when the water got low on the St. Johns River we had a couple of airboats that were a real hoot to run! We always has fishing gear in the boats and there was no issue with carrying a rifle. The beauty of much of Central Florida is only a memory now to some of us older folks. Lots of it is still there but lots of it is now under asphalt, houses, condos and, shopping centers. All this thanks to Disney world and all that came with it. :(
The "shocking boat" was probably the most interesting part of the actual field work, gathering samples for the labs to analyze for heavy metals in the fish flesh. Our orders were to bring back 10 small 1" squares/cubes of fish flesh of as many different species of fish that we could capture. 10 large-mouth bass, 10 speckled perch (crappie), 10 blue gills, 10 shad, 10 catfish, etc. This led to fish fries on a regular basis. No need to waste the rest of the edible fish. :)
When we decided to move to the Panhandle, the Pollution Control dept. gave me a Buck 110 as a going away gift. That tells you what kind of folks I had to work around. ::tu::
001.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TPK

Post by TPK »

treefarmer wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:27 pm Great story Philip! ::handshake:: :D

Tom, it was a wonderful job if you liked outdoor work! I was still fairly young, loved the outdoors, loved 4X4 trucks and all kinds of boats.
The Pollution Control Officer, the big dog that ran the agency, allowed us more freedom than I've ever seen on a job. The environmental issues were really heating up at that time in Central Florida, a political hot potato if you will. He knew how to get the money to procure what the department needed and didn't mind spending it. He bought us new trucks, even if they were Internationals (International Harvester had the FL. state contract for vehicles those years year), he allowed us, the field crew, to outfit the short bed 1/2 ton 4X4's with any wheels and tires we wanted, he purchased a new Scout (IH) for the the field crew leader. We had small specialized work boats for normal lake sampling, we had a big tri-hull shocking boat(for electro-fishing), we had a 17' runabout, very comfortable when we made river runs and when the water got low on the St. Johns River we had a couple of airboats that were a real hoot to run! We always has fishing gear in the boats and there was no issue with carrying a rifle. The beauty of much of Central Florida is only a memory now to some of us older folks. Lots of it is still there but lots of it is now under asphalt, houses, condos and, shopping centers. All this thanks to Disney world and all that came with it. :(
The "shocking boat" was probably the most interesting part of the actual field work, gathering samples for the labs to analyze for heavy metals in the fish flesh. Our orders were to bring back 10 small 1" squares/cubes of fish flesh of as many different species of fish that we could capture. 10 large-mouth bass, 10 speckled perch (crappie), 10 blue gills, 10 shad, 10 catfish, etc. This led to fish fries on a regular basis. No need to waste the rest of the edible fish. :)
When we decided to move to the Panhandle, the Pollution Control dept. gave me a Buck 110 as a going away gift. That tells you what kind of folks I had to work around. ::tu:: 001.JPG
Treefarmer
[/quote]

Great stories Philip! ::nod::

If I ever get to FL again we'll have a pile of Pop-Tarts, some good hot coffee & you can tell me these kind of stories for hours my friend. ::nod:: ::handshake::

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a early weight scale that I know nothing about.
But ....... it has moving parts, so I just had to have it. Had it for years.
Goes to 150 lbs.
Attachments
DSCN4514.JPG
DSCN4516.JPG
Joe
TPK

Post by TPK »

::hmm:: That's an interesting contraption Joe. ::hmm:: ::nod::

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I think that is a cotton scale, used to weigh the bags at the trailer so you would know how much to pay the picker. There was a different rate paid if you'picked cotton', that is picked it out of the bole or if you pulled boles, that is pulled cotton and bole all together. More than you asked. Sorry.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, guys.

doglegg, That is more than I knew about this thing before I read your post. Interesting input and thank you.
Joe
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Old GE Electric Water bottle. Was using it for a background while practicing taking pics . Found it out hunting by a creek bottom years ago . Posted pics somewhere else awhile back, and was suggested by our friend Tom here at AAPK to post here, so here you go.
Attachments
1D3E2BC5-5C95-4660-A298-16E74ECCB73E.jpeg
5760B888-C3AB-4963-A663-4A454CC2D07B.jpeg
EF30BBFC-15DE-4CBC-AEE1-5E370A3B22A1.jpeg
JP
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a nice old water bottle and nice pictures.
Thank you, Ripster.
Joe

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”