It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup, Ariat boots are excellent, expensive, but excellent.
They are a bit outa my price range, and for the same quality, I go with Canada West.
https://www.canadawestboots.com/
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:34 am
Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:20 pm Ariat. I have a pair of their Western work boots.
Very comfortable. Figured I'd get something a bit dressier.
Ariat Boot.jpg
I think within equestrian circles, Ariat makes some of the best stuff; at least among English. I've heard Tony Llama is a good name in Western boots; and I do have a pair, except that they're about a half-size too small (Size 9), and run small (I can wear a size 9 Bates combat boot; which I hike in). I got them as a gift, and they were slightly too small then, and are really too small now. My current Ariat boots are 9.5EE.

I rode English when I was 10-11. Ariat was the brand my instructor recommended--she still regularly wore a similar boot she'd bought several years prior when in a collegiate equestrian team. I really should've rode Western, though. It's a more "working horse" discipline; while I view English more as a show discipline. We were required to wear some sort of black shoe as a part of the uniform of the Christian school I went to. So, I wore the Ariats. They gave me more ankle support, AND I didn't have to change out when I took my lessons. Plus, at the time, I couldn't tie my shoes; so the zipper worked out. I currently wear the Sierra, which is a waterproof Western-style workboot. I can do an entire Walmart run in the things and have no trouble, yet my New Balance sneakers cause fatigue. And, polished up, under a pants leg, no one can tell you're wearing work boots. Same as the old ones. The ATS insole and 4LR technology make them very comfortable. I had a spare pair of ATS insoles (out of a pair of Terrains that fell apart) that I stuck in a cheap pair of Dunlop rubber boots, and it made them so much more comfortable, compared to the thin cardstock-thick insole that was in the boots when I bought them.

I will say, however, I was disappointed by the Terrain trail rider/hiking boot. They fell apart (heel area messed up) after less than a year. Compare that to the paddock boots I got five years out of, and the Sierra that are now almost four.
I'm certainly no equestrian. In fact, I'm allergic to horses! At least I was back in my teens. Our scout troop went to a local riding place for an outing and my eyes got all red and itchy. As that was some 40-45 years ago, I don't know if I've outgrown it. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to find out.

What I have now is the Workhog in aged bark. They darkened up when I started slathering on the mink oil to help waterproof. I'm okay with that. They're just a darker brown. About two years old and holding up great. Granted, they don't get worn everyday, but I'm still pleased with how they're doing. The ones on ordered will be used for work, but my work requires business casual. These'll do, and look good in the process. I'll have to see if they're a bit too casual with a suit and tie for church.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

When I was a kid everybody and their brother had a Duncan Yo-Yo. At 59 years of age, I finally have my second one.

My first one was red but it was a Duncan Imperial just like this one.

Go ahead. Its okay to laugh.
Attachments
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm When I was a kid everybody and their brother had a Duncan Yo-Yo. At 59 years of age, I finally have my second one.

I hardly ever see those in stores these days. Used to be, even well into my teenage years, you could find them even in small supermarkets.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:13 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm When I was a kid everybody and their brother had a Duncan Yo-Yo. At 59 years of age, I finally have my second one.

I hardly ever see those in stores these days. Used to be, even well into my teenage years, you could find them even in small supermarkets.
I had no idea they still made them. I forgot all about them and one day a couple weeks ago a friend at work brought one in. It was his when he was a kid and he found it at his Dad's house. That was the first time I had seen one since the early 1970's.

I had to have one of my own after seeing his vintage original.
Rick T.

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great memories! Thanks for the flash-back.
I had a Duncan Butterfly.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Steve Warden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 pm

Great memories! Thanks for the flash-back.
I had a Duncan Butterfly.
I always wanted to “upgrade” to a Butterfly but my folks never got around to it.Those were the coolest of them all. ::tu::
Rick T.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Tomica Yanmar YT01 Concept. This was NOT in the regular Tomica lineup, and was only sold at the Yanmar museum in Japan along with a couple other exclusive toolings. In other words, NOT easily avaialble to someone in the US. The seller, presumably was a Yanmar employee at the US office. Secondly, the YT01 Concept was exhibited at a couple shows here in the States; so it could have been a handout/sold at those shows.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600YYT01C.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 pm Tomica Yanmar YT01 Concept. This was NOT in the regular Tomica lineup, and was only sold at the Yanmar museum in Japan along with a couple other exclusive toolings. In other words, NOT easily avaialble to someone in the US. The seller, presumably was a Yanmar employee at the US office. Secondly, the YT01 Concept was exhibited at a couple shows here in the States; so it could have been a handout/sold at those shows.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600YYT01C.jpg
Sweet score, Cody!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've been wanting to get into mechanical watches. Most of the old American brands are worth quite a bit in good shape. I heard the Russian (originally Soviet; and just for Soviet military) Vostoks were a little crude, but decent. They had a few sub $50 models. But, I personally was turned off by the fact that the watches are heavily adorned with Soviet/Russian military insignia on nearly every model. And, with a regular mechanical watch, I was afraid I'd overwind it, and break the mainspring. Recently, a member here showed having recently showed a Timex self-wind automatic. I did some digging, and found they can be really good watches, so I went looking. Found a pair sans bands on eBay and put my max bid in. Had to raise it a bit before it ended, but still ended up being less than $30 in them. Seller says they run. But they, like me, are not a watch expert. So, how good a shape they are in funcitonally will have to be checked by my jeweler.

I've done some research based on photos and information provided by seller. The watch on the left is a model 4114 Viscount, with the 32 movement (supposedly one of the better ones used in the line), manufactured in 1969 (so nearly 52 years old!). The one on the right, since it lacks a date code/serial, had to have been made before 1953. I do know that the date windows on the 32 movement can be a problem. I'm going to have my jeweler look at these, and if he determines they're in decent shape, I'm having them fully serviced, and bands put on. Else, if I've made a boneheaded decision, I'm out less than $30.

I still cant decide on bands. Leather, or metal for sure. NATO bands are for my cheap work watches (like the modern Expedition I have)--they don't belong on these classics. The Viscount will be a dress watch, while the slightly larger one will be an everyday wear watch. Metal expansion bands were common on old Timex, and probably what I'll go with. Leather gets gross, and linked metal watch bands aren't that great.
s-l1600TVETCQW.jpg
s-l1600TVETC2.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool stuff everyone! ::tu:: ::nod:: :D

I just bought these 7 old French buttons today. Think I'll use them for knife slips or to put on lanyards. ::hmm::

Sellers dates & pictures.

1) 1870-1914 / 10mm
2) 1831-1845 / 22mm
3) 1873-1914 / 17mm
4) 1870-1900 / 10mm

Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205041.397.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205049.698.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205231.873.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205242.148.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205513.076.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205521.055.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205700.845.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T205714.594.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

5) 1873-1914 / 17mm
6) 1841-1844 / 22mm
7) date??? / 22mm
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210020.307.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210031.436.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210553.005.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210608.355.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210643.886.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-31T210659.245.jpg

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Those will add some very nice decor to lanyards or slips, Tom. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's a nice one! Once in awhile my son will bring one home that he got at school for doing something good and they are pure junk! Darn shame to cause if they worked the way they should a kid could have lots of fun with one!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Quite a few Siku models from an eBay seller in WV; all for just $35 shipped. They haven't been sold in the States since 2008, due to the passing of CIPSA which supposedly required that any toy sold in the US to undergo US safety tests. Obviously, that was just another piece of legislation to protect US toymakers, and not do what it was supposed to. Yet, the supposedly "dangerous, imported toys with high levels of poisonous chemicals" (the poorly made, usually unbranded junk) from China are still being sold (just check basically any online marketplace) without any safety testing, all the while CIPSA killed a lot of small hobby dealers (in fact, some of the first SIKU I bought came from two dealers in the Northeast who were actually in the process of liquidation) importing perfectly safe and high-quality European market toys (European standards are more stringent). Well, I guess that's expected when you get the government involved.

1850 1:87 Rescue Set, Switzerland. This was a long-term holy grail, and to find it in the States for cheap was a surprise. While most of the models Siku makes as country "exclusives" (Most nations of Europe, Australia, and back in the '80s they made US specials) are available in all the countries SIKU is sold, the Swiss models are only available in Switzerland, and the New Zealand models only sold there as well. I'm wondering why.
s-l16001850CH.jpg
3526 Articulated Dump Truck. Put a bid in on it just because it's well detailed and heavy. It looks like they copied a Volvo in the bed, but the front looks awfully John Deere-like.
s-l16003526.jpg
BMW X5 "OAMTC" which is the Austrian motoring club. Kinda like Triple A, but they do more stuff, including running MEDEVAC.
s-l1600.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kool Cody!!👍😎
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Some silver today
My preciousssssssssss! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20210216_182143.jpg
IMG_20210216_182158.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very cool Eustace. Haven't bought any coins in a while, may have to remedy that. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Had a surprise today. The mail carrier had passed waaay early (about 11:30 so when my doorbell rang later that afternoon it was a total surprise. My daughter had sent me a box of oranges from the trees in their backyard. Mmmm Mmm, good. I tied into three right away. They are excellent.
Attachments
Oranges from Jen.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 am Had a surprise today. The mail carrier had passed waaay early (about 11:30 so when my doorbell rang later that afternoon it was a total surprise. My daughter had sent me a box of oranges from the trees in their backyard. Mmmm Mmm, good. I tied into three right away. They are excellent.
::tu:: ::super_happy:: They look delicious! ::nod:: :D

TPK

Post by TPK »

Eustace wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:03 pm Some silver today
My preciousssssssssss! :lol:
Cool! Silver is always a good investment! ::nod:: ::tu::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 am Had a surprise today. The mail carrier had passed waaay early (about 11:30 so when my doorbell rang later that afternoon it was a total surprise. My daughter had sent me a box of oranges from the trees in their backyard. Mmmm Mmm, good. I tied into three right away. They are excellent.
😋 👍😎👍
John 🦉
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I did my taxes today and I'm getting a refund, so I came home and ordered
this bandsaw. I've been putting it off now for a couple of months, but
now I'll have another tool in my knife making and repair/restoration. I'm
excited, be glad when it gets here on Monday.
Attachments
81SbBqMJIlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm I did my taxes today and I'm getting a refund, so I came home and ordered
Nice!

I've got to put a new blade in the old Black and Decker that's been around here for a long time. I accidentally broke the bandsaw blade because I set it wrong, and it had some broken teeth anyway. Luckily, they're not that much money.
TPK

Post by TPK »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm I did my taxes today and I'm getting a refund, so I came home and ordered
Congrats David! Very impressive sized saw! You can do all kinds of stuff with a saw like that. ::tu:: ::nod::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”