It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TPK

Re: It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

Post by TPK »

Bought a new N scale locaomotive to go with my "Western Maryland" / "Cumberland Junction" theme. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223416.386.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223405.415.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223357.373.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223343.786.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223330.750.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-24T223319.817.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's cool, Tom. As you might know, this diesel was originally purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad but with mergers became painted in the Chessie motif. That's why the C&O appears below the window and it helped them track acquisitions. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:14 pm
I put this on order this morning from Mernickle Holsters.
Now the wait begins - it can take up to 10 weeks!
Hopefully less time since I'm not getting anything custom. Looking at a lot of rigs fashioned after what was worn in the late 1800s, I saw the majority were pretty plain, very little, if any, design stamping. I'm going traditional!
Cowboy Authentic Western System 2.jpg
The post above was entered October 3rd, 7-1/2 weeks ago. Tracking said it should be delivered this Saturday, exactly 8 weeks after the order. ::ds:: ::groove::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Silvia is real happy about it too.

Happy wife, Happy life! ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice looking 'quick draw' holster, Steve. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:29 pm Nice looking 'quick draw' holster, Steve. ::tu::
Thanks LJ.
Unfortunately the range won't let anyone practice quick draw.
Can't even be walking around with it. :x
Guess it'll be more of a display piece, not getting much hip time. :(
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 pm That's cool, Tom. As you might know, this diesel was originally purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad but with mergers became painted in the Chessie motif. That's why the C&O appears below the window and it helped them track acquisitions. ::tu::
Wow! That's pretty cool information! ::nod:: I didn't know that. Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: ::tu::

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks LJ.
Unfortunately the range won't let anyone practice quick draw.
Can't even be walking around with it. :x
Guess it'll be more of a display piece, not getting much hip time. :(
Well, Steve...if societal antics and chaos get any worse, I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of hip time around the home front. Always good to stay 'locked & loaded'. ::tu:: And, one can alway practice quick draw in private...with an unloaded gun, of course. :D
LJ

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Yup, quick draw and some fancy twirling! 😄
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

TPK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:45 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:01 pm That's cool, Tom. As you might know, this diesel was originally purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad but with mergers became painted in the Chessie motif. That's why the C&O appears below the window and it helped them track acquisitions. ::tu::
Wow! That's pretty cool information! ::nod:: I didn't know that. Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: ::tu::

You will see them with WM (Western Maryland RR) and B&O (Baltimore and Ohio RR) too. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

TPK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:48 am Bought a new N scale locaomotive to go with my "Western Maryland" / "Cumberland Junction" theme. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
May I presume Tom, that it is made by Bachman?
Their new loco's are quite decent, not the best by any means, but very good (especially on the wallet). I would advise staying away from any of their old engines/sets, all they were, were old tyco's, rebranded after Bachman took them over, basically toy grade, with cheap internals. They are more then fine to collect, but not as operators.
If you do want to buy old/used engines, look at anything from Kato/Lionel/Walthers/Atlas/ect. You can find tons of great, used engines, on the secondary market, like you know :) .
As for rolling stock, well, you have an unlimited amount of options out there. Basically, if it rolls, it's good to go. Biggest thing that you have to watch out for, is the trucks, because modern ones are not cross compatible with the ole' blockies. You can definitely upgrade them, or have a couple of adaptor cars, with a different unit on each end. Not a biggie, just thought you'd like that little tidbit, I learned back then :) .
Anyway,
I do like that scheme, was torn between it, and Sante Fe, decided on SF instead back then.
All-in-all, bringing back a lot of memories Tom, I do love railroading too!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:24 pm

You will see them with WM (Western Maryland RR) and B&O (Baltimore and Ohio RR) too. 😉👍
Thought that was the case RR.
I forget when the amalgamated, wasn't it something like back in the 80's?
I'll go refresh me memory here, right quick.
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:24 pm

::tu:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 pm
TPK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:48 am Bought a new N scale locaomotive to go with my "Western Maryland" / "Cumberland Junction" theme. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
Their new loco's are quite decent, not the best by any means, but very good (especially on the wallet). I would advise staying away from any of their old engines/sets, all they were, were old tyco's, rebranded after Bachman took them over, basically toy grade, with cheap internals. They are more then fine to collect, but not as operators.
If you do want to buy old/used engines, look at anything from Kato/Lionel/Walthers/Atlas/ect. You can find tons of great, used engines, on the secondary market, like you know :) .
As for rolling stock, well, you have an unlimited amount of options out there. Basically, if it rolls, it's good to go. Biggest thing that you have to watch out for, is the trucks, because modern ones are not cross compatible with the ole' blockies. You can definitely upgrade them, or have a couple of adaptor cars, with a different unit on each end. Not a biggie, just thought you'd like that little tidbit, I learned back then :) .
Anyway,
I do like that scheme, was torn between it, and Sante Fe, decided on SF instead back then.
I have a KATO M2 20-851-1 analog set. Will a digitale locaomotive run on an analog track set? ::shrug::
Just curious. ::hmm::

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm Since this is off topic, I have two things that are supposed to be delivered today. Exciting stuff, huh? :mrgreen:

Luggage Tag for Linnea. Late birthday present.
Luggage Tag for Linnea.jpg

Cover for my new phone.
Phone Cover.jpg
......that's a phone???....where's the crank???................... ::doh:: ........................
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

TPK wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 pm
Anyway,
I have a KATO M2 20-851-1 analog set. Will a digitale locaomotive run on an analog track set? ::shrug::
Just curious. ::hmm::
I'm pretty sure it will Tom, if I can remember correctly, all digital means, is there is an computer (motherboard) on the loco, and it talks to the controller. Please don't quote me on this un', I am NOT sure.
Best for both of us, to do some quick research, we don't want to damage anything ::uc:: .
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

There we go, for once in a looooong time, I was actually partly correct :D .
Basically it's DDC vs DC, Computer controlled vs direct currant, operate many engines on the same track (separately), or they all run exactly the same time, on said direct voltage.
So if we want to run many different loco's at the same time, without insulating sections of track (mobile layout comes to mind), and only want to use 1 controller, then digital is the way to go. Basically the computer code, is in-coded in the currant/signal itself :shock: .
Man, I forgot this amazing part of MRR, simply wonderful how they come up with this stuff, the way they do.
Also, looks like you CANNOT run a plain DC loco, on with a digital controller, without what's called a decoder, otherwise, you'll probably burn your motor out ::doh:: .
But it looks like it tis fine to run a digital loco, on an analog track. You may have some monkeying to do, but should work.
Here's the articles i'm referring too (just so I don't sound like a smart a** ::tounge::).
https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/tec ... or-digital
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/253092.aspx
Winston Churchill

TPK

Post by TPK »

WillyCamaro wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 pm There we go, for once in a looooong time, I was actually partly correct :D .
Basically it's DDC vs DC, Computer controlled vs direct currant, operate many engines on the same track (separately), or they all run exactly the same time, on said direct voltage.
So if we want to run many different loco's at the same time, without insulating sections of track (mobile layout comes to mind), and only want to use 1 controller, then digital is the way to go. Basically the computer code, is in-coded in the currant/signal itself :shock: .
Man, I forgot this amazing part of MRR, simply wonderful how they come up with this stuff, the way they do.
Also, looks like you CANNOT run a plain DC loco, on with a digital controller, without what's called a decoder, otherwise, you'll probably burn your motor out ::doh:: .
But it looks like it tis fine to run a digital loco, on an analog track. You may have some monkeying to do, but should work.
Here's the articles i'm referring too (just so I don't sound like a smart a** ::tounge::).
https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/tec ... or-digital
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744/t/253092.aspx
Well thanks for the research & links Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy:: I do think I will start a Trains Thread on here in the next couple of weeks. ::nod:: So I can stop derailing other threads. ::tu::

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

No problem bro Tom, instead of starting another thread, let's keep all the diecast hobbying under one roof. That's why I started the "Diecast Collecting" thread for, and trains fit right on in there ::tu:: .
Winston Churchill

TPK

Post by TPK »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:35 am No problem bro Tom, instead of starting another thread, let's keep all the diecast hobbying under one roof. That's why I started the "Diecast Collecting" thread for, and trains fit right on in there ::tu:: .
Ok Willy. Not much metal left in modern trains but if you say so. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Just bought a "Glass Box" / "Glaskasten" ::shrug:: Pictures are bad though. Chimney is broken off but that's not hard to fix. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2020-11-28T204529.497.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-28T204517.360.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-28T204502.551.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-28T204452.874.jpg
s-l1600 - 2020-11-28T204440.312.jpg

TPK

Post by TPK »

If anybody wants to look for better pictures you can search for Minitrix 12015. ::tu:: ::handshake::

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Great collections, Tom, Willy. I used to collect Nascar die cast...mostly Earnhardt Sr. / Jr stuff. They're all packed away somewhere in the attic. All of mine were from the 90's era...and I'll never even break even on them if I tried to sell them. Some are even autographed 1:24th by both of them. Good memories of the 90's nascar days, though.
LJ

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:52 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:35 am No problem bro Tom, instead of starting another thread, let's keep all the diecast hobbying under one roof. That's why I started the "Diecast Collecting" thread for, and trains fit right on in there ::tu:: .
Ok Willy. Not much metal left in modern trains but if you say so. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Just bought a "Glass Box" / "Glaskasten" ::shrug:: Pictures are bad though. Chimney is broken off but that's not hard to fix. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake::
I did the search, and found these things are pricey--saw a used one that sold for 80EUR. Yikes, that's like $100! "Needs work" however, is just what I live for. As long as it isn't a massive overhaul, I can typically replace brushes, belts, pickup shoes, traction tires, and that sort of stuff. As long as I don't make a mess with the glue (which I almost always do), reattaching small trim parts isn't' that hard. And, even after I've bought the parts, typically, as long as it isn't half the parts in the thing, I usually save quite a bit.

It's got a metal drivetrain and chassis. Definitely looks like a quality piece! Back when I was just "looking into" Marklin, I became aware of Trix in HO and N. They do some nice stuff.
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:59 pm
I did the search, and found these things are pricey--saw a used one that sold for 80EUR. Yikes, that's like $100! "Needs work" however, is just what I live for. As long as it isn't a massive overhaul, I can typically replace brushes, belts, pickup shoes, traction tires, and that sort of stuff. As long as I don't make a mess with the glue (which I almost always do), reattaching small trim parts isn't' that hard. And, even after I've bought the parts, typically, as long as it isn't half the parts in the thing, I usually save quite a bit.

It's got a metal drivetrain and chassis. Definitely looks like a quality piece! Back when I was just "looking into" Marklin, I became aware of Trix in HO and N. They do some nice stuff.
Yes they are pricey. ::nod:: The lady who sold me mine was asking 60€ or best offer. I wrote to her and asked her what offer she would consider as fair. She said 45€ shipped so I grabed it. Most of them sell for much more or they are defective. I think I did ok. ::nod::

Next one on my wish list is the Wismarer Schienenbus Schweineschnauzer / Wismar Track-Bus "Pig nose"
Looks like this.

What can I say, I like things that are not so run of the mill. ::super_happy::
Attachments
s-l500_13.jpg
0000001207_1209911.jpg

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

If it has a metal base, metal wheels, metal parts, then it is "diecast".
::huff::
Snort, and a toot toot, for you ::woot:: .

:lol:

I do like that engine a lot Tom, looks very quaint and happy, should work fine in a switching yard/industrial setting.
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”