It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's in the Mail, Off Topic Style

Post by dlr110 »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm I did my taxes today and I'm getting a refund, so I came home and ordered
this bandsaw. I've been putting it off now for a couple of months, but
now I'll have another tool in my knife making and repair/restoration. I'm
excited, be glad when it gets here on Monday.
::tu:: What size is it? I have an older Craftsman 10” that I got a while back at an auction. They’re handier than you can imagine.
It's a WEN 3959 2.5-Amp 9-Inch Benchtop Band Saw. 19 x 14.1 x 29 inches, Weight 40 Pounds.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice addition to the knife shop David!! Be careful!!👍😎👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:07 pm ::shrug:: ::super_happy::
Nice! I need to get some of the brands I actually collect and use. So far, I only have a Condor one, which came in the box with the knife. Stickers don't cost that much to make--so, why don't more companies include them?
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:26 pm
bestgear wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 am Had a surprise today. The mail carrier had passed waaay early (about 11:30 so when my doorbell rang later that afternoon it was a total surprise. My daughter had sent me a box of oranges from the trees in their backyard. Mmmm Mmm, good. I tied into three right away. They are excellent.
all cheese or just certain cheeses? A beautiful random act of kindness.
I'm sorry. Your what hurts? What are you talking about, Tom? Cheese?? Where did that come from? You're just messing with me, aren't you.
no ... the note from your daughter said that she “loved you more than cheese” - I thought that was kinda witty is all
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:47 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:07 pm ::shrug:: ::super_happy::
Nice! I need to get some of the brands I actually collect and use. So far, I only have a Condor one, which came in the box with the knife. Stickers don't cost that much to make--so, why don't more companies include them?
Thanks Cody! ::handshake:: I never even thought about knife stickers untill Dan started the knife sticker thread. Now I need somewhere to put them. Thinking about maybe on the inside of my breaker box door. ::hmm:: Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Case sticker or two. ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Here's some pieces I have coming from a member of another forum. He's mostly a Hot Wheels guy, and unless the item is very valuable, he tends to price the other stuff really competitively. These are actually the prices I paid.

Siku Helicopter; OAMTC Austrian Air Ambulance. Siku offers three different sizes of Eurocopter-style helicopters (1/50,1/87, 3"). The three-inch model is the cheapest, and intended for the budget line. Typically, for the country-specific lineups, the colors are shared between the three scales. Modern SIKU, especially the country-specific (aka non-German models) are hard to find in the USA, so I buy whatever I find that is priced cheaply.
DSC_0040(8)(1).JPG
Herpa? Mercedes Benz fire service equipment carrier. Because of the huge variety of equipment used in the German fire service, I have recently started picking up quite a few 1/87 German fire, EMS, police, and THW (Techniches Hilfswerk/Civil Defense) in 1/87, as they are often cheap on the secondary market (from $5 for most cars and light trucks to $20 for most heavy trucks and construction equipment--as opposed to $15-50 or more new from hobby dealers). While typically plastic, they capture more detail than similarly sized diecast pieces. And, being smaller than my typical scales of 1/50 and 1/64 take up MUCH less room, especially with things like ladders and crane booms fully deployed.
DSC_0039(9).JPG
Corgi RAC (Royal Automobile Club) Roadside Assistance Range Rover. While this is an Orient-made 1990s Corgi, I couldn't pass it up for the price. The font doors and rear gate open as well.
DSC_0036(9).JPG
Majorette 3-pack containing: Renault Alpine A110-50 Concept (got this one to go with the classic Alpine A110 I bought recently), Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV Gran Turismo (only exists as a video game car, no 1/1 has been made), and Ford F-150 (while it looks like a Raptor, it's just a standard F-150 tooling with Raptor graphics--may get detampoed). $6 for all three, when the US sellers of what few Majorette models we have here ask that for just one car.
DSC_0001(228).JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some green Kenya coffee beans from https://www.coffeebeancorral.com/
I usually order from Sweet Maria's, but they were out of stock for Kenya.
coffee.jpg
I use a stove-top popcorn popper.
Takes me about 25 minutes, from pulling the popper out of the cabinet to putting it back, to roast half a pound. I could do a pound at a time, but I find I get a more consistent roast doing half a pound. Besides, I only drink my home roast on the weekends - my weekend treat, since it does cost a bit more than what I can buy at the store. Doing a pound at a time, it would loose its freshness before I was able to get it all ground.

For anyone interested in roasting your own coffee ---> https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting.html
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I went a little bit overboard on the diecast side of the hobby--again!

This lot has some newer pieces in really poor condition (Road Champs NYSP Caprice, Eligor 1932 Ford Roadster police car) , but I've bought it for the Gamda Koor 1966 Impala Police car. Cost a little less than just the Gamda in the condition it is in. The Mountie Caprice is also in good shape. The NYSP Caprice needs a taillight and the Eligor Ford needs a new windshield frame and both bumpers.

Sabra/Gamda Koor was made in Israel, and often marketed in the USA under the Cragstan name.
s-l1600APCL1.jpg
s-l1600APCL2.jpg
s-l1600APCL3.jpg

And plenty of British-made stuff for LOW prices. I actually have very few of these already. But, all of these were in decent shape, most near mint.

Matchbox #47 DAF Tipper Truck. I have the thin-wheel Superfast variant, not the Regular Wheel. Also, that one is missing its removable plastic tarp--it's still present on this one. Cost, $3.
s-l1600LMBX47DAF.jpg
MBX #67 VW 1600TL. They made a new casting for a "Moving Parts" series a couple of years back, but it is very poor quality. Blobby details, and stiff doors. A bit more at $6.
s-l1600MBXVW1600TL.jpg
Corgi Euclid 35 Ton Dump Truck. $3 Colors are NOT the appropriate Euclid green, but it's in good shape, so I'm not repainting it. That's a project I'm saving for a heavily played-with example, and it's bigger brother in the larger scale "Majors" line. Our quarry has displayed a 1/1 for many years outside the office building, albeit with the dump bed removed.
s-l1600CER35.jpg
\

Bud

At $10, this was the most expensive of the group:

DCMT's "Impy" line featured roughly 3" inch cars that all had crystal jewel headlights, opening hoods, trunks, and doors on the same casting, in addition to steering and suspension. Later issues often closed up many of the opening parts, removed the jewels, and went to ugly low-friciton wheels. They are very high quality and often expensive. The only one I have, a Ford fire chief car is in poor condition as is a Rolls Royce convertible that came in a lot (and is missing most of its parts).

I had a limited budget, and had to choose between either it or a Rolls Royce convertible (had meant to bid on it last minute while it was still cheap, but forgot--D'Oh!!!). The Rolls Royce is cool, as it has the split horizontal hood.

s-l1600CER35.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:26 pm MBX #67 VW 1600TL. They made a new casting for a "Moving Parts" series a couple of years back, but it is very poor quality.
The quality of all die-cast toys has suffered, most likely as their manufacturers endeavor to profit from sales of $1 apiece. As the old cliché goes, "they don't make 'em like they used to."

You have picked up some nice ones, and reminded me that I need to work on finding new homes for mine.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I recently lost an expensive flashlight (Olight S1R Baton II) working in the garage. I decided to swap most of my lights over to Maglite, as I'm avoiding a lot of Chinese stuff lately. And, my Olight i3EOS have a bad problem with the light coming unscrewed, and the S1R Baton II got real hot with extended use. Maglite makes nothing close to the I1R and i1R 2 lights I have on various keychains, so they're staying in use (tiny light that has 100 lumens, and rarely needs recharging, as I tend to mostly use it on the low 5-lumen setting). The first group I paid full price for, and then they had a 30% off scale going, and I bought another bunch.

I always color-code my Mags as either blue (usually first-choice) or black (brought on by the fact my Walmart years ago had a Gerber US-1/AAA Mini Maglite LED combo on sale, but the light was only offered in black). If I buy one for a family member or a buddy, it's usually not one of those colors.

In the first order:

3D Cell, incandescent. Probably will be my new work light. No more easily-lost pocket-size lights for extended use.

3D-INCAN_blue_1800x1800.png
Mini Maglite AA Pro. Replacing an LED Lenser whose switch croaked, and it died the year the warranty ran out. I like a 2X AA light, as they fit into many multitool holsters, and offer better output and/or battery life than most pocket flashlights, while still not being too big to throw in a pocket. It's 332 lumens, a LOT more than the incandescent I grew up with.
MM-LED-AA-BLUE-APC_0186A-PNG_1800x1800.jpg

Spectrum Solitaire with a warm white LED. This is going to be my "go to the bathroom light" replacing a blue LED Solitaire, which will return to be an EDC light. They also have a red LED version I want to get, but I can get it in a surplus USGI .223 cleaning kit that total, averages out to much less than each item is worth ($100 Gerber Center-Drive, $25 Maglite, and $30 worth of rifle cleaning stuff for $75 total). And I'm looking at getting a basic lever-action or bolt-action (non semi-auto) .223 pretty soon. I will tell you this--the pocket clip Mag puts on these is useless. It always comes off. I completely got rid of it on the AAA Mini Maglite. Carries just fine in the pencil slot on my overall pocket.

web_spectrum_soli_warmwhite_dsc_2800_1800x1800.png
In the second. I feel kinda silly. If I'd waited just four days, I could've saved a lot. I paid $66 for the first group, but just $50 for these lights (saving $20). Probably would've been around $70 for all the lights in one order.

4 D-Cell Blue. I forgot the "classic" Maglite was usually the 4-D cell model, not 3D. I know they made 6 cell models, but those are too darn big.
4D-INCAN_blue_1800x1800.png
3 D-cell, purple. This is going in the door pocket of my truck, a '98 Dodge Ram which is "Deep Amethyst Purple". I bought it so I wouldn't have to pay the same amount for shipping as the light was to be. That is also to serve as a tire club/self-defense instrument, taking after my great-uncle who kept a tire club on the driver's side of his truck for that very reason.
3D_purple_1800x1800_2518070b-339e-4715-b19a-a2fac7a7fd9e_1800x1800.jpg
These two are to be a Mother's Day gift to my grandmother.

4-D Cell in red
4D-INCAN_red_NSN_1800x1800.png
Solitaire LED in red.
SOL_RED_1800x1800.png

I meant to buy some more AA/AAA lights. Main reason--I ordered one each box of 24 Duracell Procell AA and AAA batteries and a box of 12 D cells. I ended up getting (while everything was on the statement as one box each of 24) a shipping case of AA and AAA, which is 8X 24 in each case. Thus, I don't have to worry about running out for a LONG while. But, I've already got a ton of flashlights all over the place.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice lights Cody! ::tu:: :D

I love to help and support my girls with baking & cooking ::paranoid:: so I bought my wife some new cook books for mother's day. :wink: :lol:
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
s-l300 (1).jpg
s-l300 (1).jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
s-l300 (2).jpg
s-l300 (2).jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
s-l300 (4).jpg
s-l300 (4).jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
s-l300 (3).jpg
s-l300 (3).jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Siku basic range, combine harvester.

Siku 1/87 range. Fendt 930 and Claas Axion 850. These are metal, and with rubber tires. The Wiking range of tractors is a little bit more detailed, but plastic. And SIKU/Sieper actually owns Wiking.
image_132061.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just received this in the mail. Dropped my old one, and well you know the result. A very handy thing to have in the tool box.
IMAG0530.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:21 pm Nice lights Cody! ::tu:: :D

I love to help and support my girls with baking & cooking ::paranoid:: so I bought my wife some new cook books for mother's day. :wink: :lol:
Tom, you are a very thoughtful person, hope you all had a good mothers day together. Fantastic looking books, they would have some great recipes. :)
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 pm Siku basic range, combine harvester.

Siku 1/87 range. Fendt 930 and Claas Axion 850. These are metal, and with rubber tires. The Wiking range of tractors is a little bit more detailed, but plastic. And SIKU/Sieper actually owns Wiking.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :D

TPK

Post by TPK »

cudgee wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 pm Just received this in the mail. Dropped my old one, and well you know the result. A very handy thing to have in the tool box.
Never heard of them. Same as a level? ::shrug::

Edit: OK Cool! ::tu:: Google knows everything! ::nod:: Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. ::tu:: ::nod::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

After 20 years, my (digital) bathroom scale went on the fritz this past Sunday. A replacement is on the way but it's going to be a surprise because my daughter ordered it (she has Amazon Prime) & I have no idea what I bought. ::cb:: Supposed to be here tomorrow (Wed.).

The mattress delivery people called me yesterday, not to make arrangements for delivery like they were supposed to but to tell me there would be no on time delivery. They said the truck broke down and the earliest re-delivery slot they had was two weeks from now. P.O.ed? That doesn't even begin to cover it. Thanks Sam's Club. That will be over a month by the time it gets here.

And life goes on.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am After 20 years, my (digital) bathroom scale went on the fritz this past Sunday. A replacement is on the way but it's going to be a surprise because my daughter ordered it (she has Amazon Prime) & I have no idea what I bought. ::cb:: Supposed to be here tomorrow (Wed.).

The mattress delivery people called me yesterday, not to make arrangements for delivery like they were supposed to but to tell me there would be no on time delivery. They said the truck broke down and the earliest re-delivery slot they had was two weeks from now. P.O.ed? That doesn't even begin to cover it. Thanks Sam's Club. That will be over a month by the time it gets here.

And life goes on.
Unless you count online orders shipped with FedEx, Sam's doesn't deliver here. Lowe's where I live stopped using their own trucks. They switched to rented Penske trucks. If Sam's had a bunch of orders that had to be delivered, you'd think they'd just rent a truck from Enterprise or something until the regular truck got fixed.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am After 20 years, my (digital) bathroom scale went on the fritz this past Sunday. A replacement is on the way but it's going to be a surprise because my daughter ordered it (she has Amazon Prime) & I have no idea what I bought. ::cb:: Supposed to be here tomorrow (Wed.).

And life goes on.
Unless you count online orders shipped with FedEx, Sam's doesn't deliver here. Lowe's where I live stopped using their own trucks. They switched to rented Penske trucks. If Sam's had a bunch of orders that had to be delivered, you'd think they'd just rent a truck from Enterprise or something until the regular truck got fixed.
From what I can piece together, Sam's delivers here once a week (large items??) on Mondays. Looks like product comes out of Madison WI (at least this Serta mattress does).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 am Had a surprise today. The mail carrier had passed waaay early (about 11:30 so when my doorbell rang later that afternoon it was a total surprise. My daughter had sent me a box of oranges from the trees in their backyard. Mmmm Mmm, good. I tied into three right away. They are excellent.
::woot:: Orange you glad she sent them? ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Uh-har, Uh-har. Ferg, you slay me.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

[/quote]

Uh-har, Uh-har. Ferg, you slay me.
[/quote]

::woot:: I just couldn't pass that up! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:59 pm ::woot:: I just couldn't pass that up! ftd
I don't blame you. I wouldn't have either. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:13 am
cudgee wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 pm Just received this in the mail. Dropped my old one, and well you know the result. A very handy thing to have in the tool box.
Never heard of them. Same as a level? ::shrug::

Edit: OK Cool! ::tu:: Google knows everything! ::nod:: Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. ::tu:: ::nod::
Get yourself one mate, they are great for sharpening knives to get the angle correct. This one cost me $15US including postage on the Big Body Of Water.
:roll: :)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Diecast Masters RC CAT D7E dozer, lower-end line. I've wanted some decent, affordable RC construction equipment for many years. Those often sold as "Double E" are junk. I was given one when I was 7. It was anemic and the rechargeable batteries didn't last. Not to mention, north of $100. Diecast Masters is the name of the company currently producing diecast models for Caterpillar; replacing Norscot and NZG. Late last year, they announced they were doing a line of CAT-licensed RC models. I figured these would be better quality, given DM has some really nice models in diecast.

They have two ranges. The range this one is from is $40 shipped (still haven't seen them on a store shelf or very many online dealers even, and I don't know if the local CAT dealer is like the local Deere dealer in that they have a toy/model selection in the dealership, but if I do, I'm getting the other three; as free shipping not included, and only for a group of models should shave $10-15 off the pricetag of each). These are 1:32-ish scale, run on AAA batteries, and do not have interiors. Also, if the 1/1 is articulated, these aren't. There's a more expensive, 1/25 range that is $90-ish, and run on rechargeable batteries; and the loaders and haul trucks have proper articulated steering. I decided the dozer would be harder to get wrong, as it has less working parts. Plus, the tracks make it a bit better outdoors.

The tracks function fully (forward, reverse, turning) and the blade raises and lowers. Wish the logging winch at the rear did, even if it was just manual. There's a drum, but no cable, or even a knob to turn it. I guess I could disassemble it and modify it if I wanted to.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”