"Diecast Collecting"

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
WillyCamaro

Re: "Diecast Collecting"

Post by WillyCamaro »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:23 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 am
Just Plain Dave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm Got a Matchbox 1976 Volkswagon Golf MK1 (but says GTI on the grill) marked Polizei.
Nothing to keep it from being painted as a civilian vehicle
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it Dave, would be perfect in any of the classic GTI schemes.
There's a "Best of Germany" issue coming up soon that will be a red GTI MKI version. I'm hoping I can get the police variant soon. SIKU and Majorette's German police cars ain't easy to find here, and HW's German police cars are heavily modified; using often tuned castings.
Huh, I didn't know that tidbit of info; thanks for the heads up mate. It's worse for me up here, non of the stores carry Majorette, which is a darn shame in my book. :(
At least having Jada, and Greenlight makes up some of the loss. Heck, I don't need any more options, swamped as it tis...
:lol:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm And some Matchbox from Rocky Peaks 5 pack'

1968 Mustang GT CS
Matchbox 1968 Ford Mustang GT CS cr 2010 Mattel Thailand.jpg
Dang mate, I still need to snag that Stang. It's a beautiful casting, along with the blue.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:04 pm Here are things from yesterday.

1969 Ford Torino Talladega from the Fast & Furious series
Hotwheels 1969 Ford Torino Talladega (Fast & Furious) cr2008 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
You were lucky on this 'un mate, they were all cleaned out up here...
Winston Churchill

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Some LEO cars...............
Attachments
DisplayCaseSouthWall 067.jpg
HotWheelsPoliceCar54.JPG
HotWheelsSheriff'sCar.JPG
MatchboxKingSizeK-23MercuryPoliceCar.JPG
MatchboxSeries55Mercury PoliceCar1.JPG
Mercs 033.jpg
MicroMachines2 003.jpg
MuscleMachines1949FordWoodyPaddyWagon.JPG
NewNomads2016 005.jpg
NissanSkylineGT-PoliceHW 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

One more
Attachments
RacingChampions1956ChevroletNomadSheriffsCar.JPG
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

studebaker.jpg
Not mine, but just received an email from a model hobby supplier i buy from. This is from their new die-cast models being released shortly.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I give you as civilian as I could make it Race Team 2010 Impala
Hotwheels 2010 Chevrolet Impala tmGM Blue cr2010 Mattel Malysia.jpg
Looking for the magic penny!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:29 am I give you as civilian as I could make it Race Team 2010 Impala

Hotwheels 2010 Chevrolet Impala tmGM Blue cr2010 Mattel Malysia.jpg
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:52 am studebaker.jpg

Not mine, but just received an email from a model hobby supplier i buy from. This is from their new die-cast models being released shortly.
::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
Winston Churchill

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:56 am

::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
How are you mate, it does look pretty cool doesn't it. 8) 8) 8) Not cheap though, been doin' some surfin' on the net, found same model on an American website-$124US. But they look like exceptional quality, with opening doors, bonnet etc. ::woot:: :)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

What scale is that one?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:23 am

What scale is that one?
1/18. ::tu:: :)
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Sigh. The 69 Chevelle has a plastic body.
It has a metal frame but that doesn't help with paint.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:04 pm Sigh. The 69 Chevelle has a plastic body.
What is the problem Dave? Is it painted now? If so and you want to remove the paint you can try using Easy-Off oven cleaner.That will remove most enamel based paints.You might want to try it on a spot that isn't visible(like the inside)to make sure it won't affect the plastic.
To clean it before painting I used to use SprayWay glass cleaner as a final prep.It doesn't have ammonia in it and will clean the surface great.We used it in the body shop I worked at as a final prep before spraying a vehicle.If you can't find that particular brand any non-ammoniated glass cleaner will work.I think Meguiar's still sells their version.
Another thing I use on plastic is to wipe the inside surface with a damp paper towel to kill the static electricity buildup.Hope this helps.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm
Just Plain Dave wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:04 pm Sigh. The 69 Chevelle has a plastic body.
What is the problem Dave? Is it painted now? If so and you want to remove the paint you can try using Easy-Off oven cleaner.That will remove most enamel based paints.You might want to try it on a spot that isn't visible(like the inside)to make sure it won't affect the plastic.
To clean it before painting I used to use SprayWay glass cleaner as a final prep.It doesn't have ammonia in it and will clean the surface great.We used it in the body shop I worked at as a final prep before spraying a vehicle.If you can't find that particular brand any non-ammoniated glass cleaner will work.I think Meguiar's still sells their version.
Another thing I use on plastic is to wipe the inside surface with a damp paper towel to kill the static electricity buildup.Hope this helps.
Thanks for these tips, they are handy to know for modelers, i read on a modeling site that you can soak something you want to remove paint from in 99.98% alcohol. As you have worked in a body shop does this sound as if it would work, the person who wrote the article was very experience in repainting models. :)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:31 pm
knife7knut wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm
Thanks for these tips, they are handy to know for modelers, i read on a modeling site that you can soak something you want to remove paint from in 99.98% alcohol. As you have worked in a body shop does this sound as if it would work, the person who wrote the article was very experience in repainting models. :)
It depends a lot on the type of plastic that is used.On early model kits styrene was the most used plastic.One of the ways used to remove paint from it was to soak it in DOT 3 brake fluid.This would readily remove paint and usually not affect the body. I mention the DOT 3 type because it is rarely used in automobiles anymore.Most brake fluid is silicone based DOT 5 fluid.Don't know if it will remove paint or harm the plastic or not.
Styrene is rarely used anymore because of it's tendency to warp over time which I believe is caused by solvent evaporation and heat.
Painting plastic parts on a full sized car can be a real challenge.Most are urethane based and require a three step process.A special etching primer is used on the bare parts after a chemical called an "adhesion promoter" is applied.Then the final coat(or coats if a base coat/clear coat is used).All of this has to be done within a certain time frame.On certain parts that are flexible another chemical called a,"flexing agent" must also be used.
Naturally none of these can be used on plastic models as the solvents are way too"hot";that is they penetrate into the surface being painted and in the case of plastic will actually melt it.
As for using pure alcohol as a paint remover I don't think it would be too effective and it might soften some of the newer plastics.Just my opinion.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Well it's red...
69 Cheveiie Painted front.jpg
69 Cheveiie Painted rear.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967 Mustang.
Mustang..jpg
1/18 Scale.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Got some stuff today. Here are two of them.

Hotwheels 1970 Dodge Power Wagon
Hotwheels 1970 Dodge Power Wagon cr2010, 2019 Mattel Malaysia.jpg
Matchbox 1968 Dodge D-200
Matchbox 1968 Dodge D-200 cr2018 Mattel Thailand.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

One more from today.

1952 Chevy PU by HW
Hotwheels 1952 Chevy PU cr 2006, 2014 GMtm Mattel Malaysia.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 pm One more from today.

1952 Chevy PU by HW
Hotwheels 1952 Chevy PU cr 2006, 2014 GMtm Mattel Malaysia.jpg
Nice. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::nod::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

How about a Mr. Bean Mini Cooper?
Matchbox Mr. Bean Mini Cooper.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice! I hoped to find one in the Power Grabs box, but the only one I was able to get is carded.

I recently impulse bought a Matchbox Action Drivers hospital playset; since it was just $10. It had a decent ambulance, but a really stupid looking plastic helicopter with a spring-loaded "grabber" on the bottom that was as high as the helicopter was long. I put it aside, and got out some of my EMS models that were not properly displayed, or were overflow I had no shelf space for.
KIMG3356.JPG
KIMG3384.JPG

And what's displayed.

The included ambulance, which is a generic tooling dating back to 2005. It was recently retooled to be cheaper to produce after not being in the lineup for several years. The patient compartment is now plastic and the light bar was changed to be part of the windows. It's lighter than the E-350, which is built similarly, but has a metal chassis. Note the Star of Life, something they supposedly couldn't do for years; when all ambulances are so marked. While slightly stylized, it's a pretty good representation of a larger medium-duty truck chassis; used as frontline ambulances in many larger departments, or Advanced Life Support/Critical Care Transport in others.
KIMG3360.JPG

I have no idea, but am leaning towards Dickie Toys/Majorette (it's unmarked). MBB/Kawasaki BK-117 Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service. This was a benefit model done for the agency; which serves the Canadian provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. It was really hard to get at the time (mid-2015). A member on the diecast forum I'm on (himself a prominent model ambulance collector) knew the employee at STARS who had these done; and gave me his contact info. It came all the way from STARS Saskatoon base. Now, they're sold on the STARS website. STARS is moving to using Airbus H-145s (retiring the fleet of BK-117 and Agusta Westland AW-139s), and I'm hoping they do one of it; since there's the high-end, large scale AW-139 model, and the inexpensive BK-117. Majorette does have an EC-145 tooling, which was what it was before Airbus bought Eurocopter.
KIMG3373.JPG

While it is just marked "STAR-"; it has the registration C-GDGP. Thus, it represents this unit, STAR-1 out of Calgary. It was featured in a scene during Season 7 in Heartland; which was why I got the model. Weird how they didn't give it a callsign. Image borrowed from Wikipedia.

640px-STARSFMC.jpg

Hot Wheels Unimog. Back when it was done up first as a Mortal Kombat Pop Culture issue; I tried to convert it into a unit as used by the Bundeswehr as an ambulance. I COULD NOT get the tampos off. Finally, back in the fall, they did an EMS issue, with a prominent Star of Life.
KIMG3368.JPG
I have no idea who made it. It's probably a cheap piece from the 1980s or 1990s. But, the patient compartment is really well detailed.
KIMG3362.JPG

Tomica Isuzu Super Ambulance. This is a bit older model, about 20 years old. It's the second tooling of this unit. The new one, on a modern Isuzu GIGA chassis, is all plastic behind the cab. On this one, only the pull-out sides are plastic. It has seen some playwear, but it's not easy to find in the US. I happened to find another collector on the diecast site I'm on selling it cheaply as a part of a playworn group of ambulances.
KIMG3366.JPG
Maisto ambulance. Rips off the Hot Wheels ambulance from the '80s and '90s. But, it's got opening doors!
KIMG3363(1).JPG
KIMG3364(1).JPG

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”