Wood Lathe

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wood Lathe

Post by Unk »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 am Nice bowls. I always remember what a fellow I know that turns bowls says about the ones he makes. Some of his have repaired cracks in them also. He says if they "won't hold soup, then they are art".
Olde Cutler, that made me laugh out loud. Mine won't hold soup, so I must be an artist! :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I should have added some additional info for those of you who want to try the candy jar project. Any glass jar with a metal lid will work fine, the bigger pickle jars work great. Wash the jar and lid and scrape off the label with a razor blade. Just mount your blank on the lathe and turn a recess to fit the metal lid in flush. Then turn the blank around and grip inside the recess with the chuck and turn the outside and finish the top. I glue the metal lid into the recess with silicone caulk and have not had any issues with them coming loose. It is probably best not to put the wooden covered lid in the dishwasher though. Cheap project as the jars would go into recycling anyway, and use scrap wood from the pile.
IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OC, those jar lids are really cool.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

My son and I made this as a quick project this past weekend. It is two wooden handles with a wire in between.
Can you guess what it does?
And no, I'm not a hit man for the mob :lol:
Attachments
20210211_143040.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wire burner for making dark lines in turnings. Shown are some of my really small projects,that will really use up the small pieces of scrap. Many people like them to display the various species of exotic wood. Note the wire burned grooves in them for a decorative touch. It takes a special tapered cutter to make the standard interior on these.
IMG_4053.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mystery solved. I liked the mob reference better. OC as usual, very impressive work. ::nod::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

If some of you wood turners would like to try thimble making, I have an extra cutter with complete instruction sheet. PM me.
IMG_4054.JPG
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Bingo, Olde Cutler. I was wrapping the wire around my fingers to get purchase when I burned the grooves, then quickly realized that if the wire caught on the spinning wood, the sight of my lopped off fingers flying around the shop would not be a fun one. Hence the handles. Plus, I saw a guy on Youtube make one. :lol:

It's fun to watch the grooves start to smoke when you put a little pressure on the wire. It turns the grooves black, which makes them stand out, and puts a nice clean edge on the groove.

OC, those are very nice turnings. I like the wood, and the nice detail on such small pieces. ::tu::
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:01 am Thanks Ike!

Cudgee,

Tru-Oil is good stuff. I have re-finished some gun stocks with it, and it would be great for knife handles. I used it straight out of the bottle for a few coats but was having difficulty getting smooth coats. Then I read where you can thin it a bit with mineral spirits, and I was able to lay down some really smooth coats after that. I think I put 7 or 8 coats on the guns stocks - but you can do as many as you like with that stuff.
Mate just wanted to show you how the wood covers turned out after applying 10 thin coats of Tru-Oil. I will post an old photo of how it looked originally, it is the top one in the photo, hard to see, but was just very bland. The other photos though better really don't highlight the lustre of the polished look, but will give you the gist of it.
IMAG0224.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg
IMAG0455.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg
IMAG0453.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:04 pm
Unk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:01 am Thanks Ike!

Cudgee,

Tru-Oil is good stuff. I have re-finished some gun stocks with it, and it would be great for knife handles. I used it straight out of the bottle for a few coats but was having difficulty getting smooth coats. Then I read where you can thin it a bit with mineral spirits, and I was able to lay down some really smooth coats after that. I think I put 7 or 8 coats on the guns stocks - but you can do as many as you like with that stuff.
Mate just wanted to show you how the wood covers turned out after applying 10 thin coats of Tru-Oil. I will post an old photo of how it looked originally, it is the top one in the photo, hard to see, but was just very bland. The other photos though better really don't highlight the lustre of the polished look, but will give you the gist of it.

IMAG0224.jpg
IMAG0456.jpg
IMAG0455.jpg
IMAG0454.jpg
IMAG0453.jpg
You have a most excellent system down mate, definitely steeling your technique.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Very nice, Cudgee. ::tu:: That's a deep shine.

I think the Tru-oil is easy to repair as well, should you happen to get any dings in the finish. Just rub a little on it and let it dry.
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 am Very nice, Cudgee. ::tu:: That's a deep shine.

I think the Tru-oil is easy to repair as well, should you happen to get any dings in the finish. Just rub a little on it and let it dry.
Thank you for that, as i most assuredly will drop it or ding it, that's just the way it is. :lol:
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 am
Unk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 am Very nice, Cudgee. ::tu:: That's a deep shine.

Thank you for that, as i most assuredly will drop it or ding it, that's just the way it is. :lol:
You mates speak the truth! Ain't it true...
:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Cudgee, those are nice Sheffield knives. I have a Trevor Ablett I ordered back in 2010. There are a few videos of him on Youtube making knives. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.
Attachments
Ablett 1.JPG
Ablett 2.JPG
Ablett 4.JPG
Mike

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I've got this pile of pen blanks drilled, glued, and ready to turn when it warms up in my garage a little. Walnut, maple, and Padauk woods.
IMG_4097.JPG
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:24 pm Cudgee, those are nice Sheffield knives. I have a Trevor Ablett I ordered back in 2010. There are a few videos of him on Youtube making knives. Sadly he passed away a few years ago.
You have a beautiful piece of Sheffield Cutlery there my friend. And sadly no more will be made, treasure it, as i'm sure you will. ::tu:: :)
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Should make some nice pens. I am also waiting on warmer weather to get back in the shop. Need to make a bunch of pens and some bowls as well. When I make pens in bunches I always number my blanks so that I can line up the wood grain when I turn them. I will number as follows, L1-U1 and so on, this lets me know that L1 is the lower blank and U1 is the upper blank.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Would like to see those pens when you get them completed, OC!

I started on a big Walnut bowl today. This one is about 13" in diameter. My lathe only turns 12" inboard, so this is my first attempt at turning the head outboard, and using the tool rest extension. It worked pretty good, except I was chasing the lathe around the shop until I got the blank balanced out a little. :lol:

I guess I'm going to have to get some bags of sand to put on the shelf to keep the lathe from dancing a jig around my shop - either that or turn smaller stuff. :lol:
Attachments
20210301_153159.jpg
20210301_153207.jpg
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:59 am Would like to see those pens when you get them completed, OC!

I started on a big Walnut bowl today. This one is about 13" in diameter. My lathe only turns 12" inboard, so this is my first attempt at turning the head outboard, and using the tool rest extension. It worked pretty good, except I was chasing the lathe around the shop until I got the blank balanced out a little. :lol:

I guess I'm going to have to get some bags of sand to put on the shelf to keep the lathe from dancing a jig around my shop - either that or turn smaller stuff. :lol:
Keep posting the progress. ::nod::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I got the outside shaped and started on some rough sanding. Wood turning makes a big mess in the shop! :D
Attachments
20210302_105503.jpg
20210302_105518.jpg
20210302_105558.jpg
Mike

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is going to turn out (no pun intended) absolutely ::nod:: ::nod:: beautiful!
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu::
Winston Churchill

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Just finished up a batch of pens. Walnut, maple, padauk in these.
IMG_4172.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great group OC, I sure enjoy mine. ::tu::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice Pens, OC!

Been very busy lately. I finally found time yesterday to get back to the big bowl I was turning. It started out right at 13", but now it is 11 3/4" across. I was finally able to spin the lathe head stock back around after I got it under 12 ".

I don't have any finish on it yet, so it's kind of dull. I left the walls kind of thick, as I am going to cut a grove in the top of the rim and inlay some copper powder. I wanted to do turquoise, but the wife wanted copper, so we compromised and I am using copper. :lol: Once I get that done, I will finish with a few coats of tung oil and then wax.

The last pick shows the size of the bowl compared to some of my other turnings.
Attachments
bowl 1.jpg
Bowl 2.jpg
Bowl 3.jpg
Mike

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”