Stuff that you have from Grandpa

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stuff that you have from Grandpa

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was thinking the other day and lamenting how I do not have a knife that had belonged to my Grandpa (dads dad). But then I got to thinking I do have several items that belonged to grandpa even if I don't have a knife. If you have something that belonged to your dads dad, show it here.
A picture of Grandpa Henry when he was a street car conductor in Dubuque, IA about 1907. This would be shortly before moving to South Dakota in 1910.
IMG_3995.JPG
The journal that Grandpa carried in his pocket. If he went to town and bought an axe handle for 10 cents, he wrote it down in this journal. He made notations about other things also, such as the electoral vote count of the election of 1900 when William McKinley was elected president, and the news from Buffalo NY when President McKinley was assassinated by Leon Czolgosz in 1901.
IMG_3994.JPG
My Grandpas pocket watch and pocket pistol. The watch is a Longines, and the pocket pistol is a Forehand Model 1901 by Hopkins and Allen in caliber 32 S & W. The family story told to me by my dad tells of the day the family went to town in the horse and buggy. When they returned to the farm from town, there was a "chicken hawk" sitting on a fencepost along the road at the end of the driveway. Grandpa raised English Longhorn chickens, and the presence of a chickenhawk so close the the home place caused an alarm. Grandpa drew the pictured pocket pistol from his coat pocket, fired all 5 shots, and never even raised a feather. I would ask that you not judge Grandpa harshly for his poor marksmanship, but rather comment on the poor sights and overall accuracy of the Hopkins & Allen pistol.
IMG_3992.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
mcrunkin

Re: Stuff that you have from Grandpa

Post by mcrunkin »

Old Cutler,

You are seriously blessed my friend. To be the curator of your gran dads stuff is insane. Our heritage is so important to all of us. You are very special to have such remnants of your fathers dad... Totally cool.... hope they will move on to the next gen as they will be treasured as well I am sure.

Thanks for posting a cool topic......
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't think your grandpa's marksmanship was the problem. Hard to hit a hawk sized target at more than 50 feet with that little "saturday night special" pistol
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Nice post.

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for showing those wonderful and priceless treasures from your grandfather, and the background stories.

When my paternal grandfather passed I was at college and at the time preparing for semester exams. I hurried to be present for the visitation and the funeral. Then I had to immediately return for exams. So I wasn’t present when his belongings were passed along. Of particular interest to me would have been his pocket knives and sharpening stones, and his “coin collection” which was actually just a small coin purse full of old coins from the late 1800s and early 1900s. I was fascinated with them when I was a kid.

Since then I have managed to acquire a few items however. Unfortunately the one prize I’ve not obtained is the red Case M100 slider that he always carried in the bib pocket of his overalls.

Here are some of his possessions that I do have.

Seth Thomas mantle clock. Originally belonged to my paternal grandmother’s parents. It came to live with my grandparents when my great grandfather did also (1930 census shows he was 83 years old and living with my grandparents at that time).
Seth Thomas mantle clock
Seth Thomas mantle clock
Ten volume set of The World’s Greatest Short Stories. Published 1927 by Funk & Wagnall. Inscribed with my grandfather’s name inside the covers of each volume.
World’s Greatest Short Stories
World’s Greatest Short Stories
The Popular and Critical Bible Encyclopedia. Published 1907.
Encyclopedia of the Bible
Encyclopedia of the Bible
The front porch swing from my grandparents farm house. My dad said he remembered they bought it when he was a kid and it was an antique then. The seat is a full 6 feet in length, my dad slept on it often in the summer to escape the heat in his upstairs bedroom. Grandpa and I spent many hours on that swing, swatting flies, peeling apples and reading the “funny papers”. It’s made of solid oak, weighs a “ton”. :lol: As long as I can remember it was painted “John Deere green”. It’s been on our front porch for about 35 years. When I got it my wife wanted a different color. I held out but ended up with what you see. ::facepalm::
Porch swing
Porch swing
My grandfather’s 1930 Model A Ford, which I’ve posted in another thread before.
1930 Model A Deluxe Coupe
1930 Model A Deluxe Coupe
Last but not least I have grandpa’s Marlin ‘94 25-20 rifle. Which I can’t find a picture of now but I’ve posted it before.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Nice items to remember your grandfathers by, guys.

From my maternal grandfather I have his watch (Elgin) and penknife (a VOOS), which I showed on another thread the other night. I also have his Remington 241 .22 (bottom rifle in the pic). I never knew him, as he died in 1947 before I was born.

From my paternal grandfather, I have some hand tools, and his fishing tackle box. And from his father (my great-grandfather) I have some woodworking tools, a big buck saw, and a 1870s steamer trunk.
Attachments
100_0782-2.JPG
Remington 241 & 550-1.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
eveled

Post by eveled »

B335B67E-EF45-4724-8D5D-03DBB6A9EC72.jpeg
Two 50 cal shell trench art book ends? A “1 yen” coin my fathers father brought home from his time in the Navy in China before ww2. The movie the Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen was more or less the area and time frame he served. (AFAIK).

The m1 stripper clips art inert and I’ve had since I was a kid, I’m not sure if they came from my grandfather or not. I always thought they did.

I also have his military issued Gillette safety razor from the same time period and still use it to shave to this day.

Im named after him and have the same tattoo my father and grandfather had on the same place in our arms.

They both had them done by “Lefty” in Scollay Square in Boston. He was a famous tattoo artist.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

This is very cool!!!

I have these milk bottle from my grandmothers dairy.
Attachments
IMG_1594.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

My paternal grandfather was a policeman in Mount Vernon, New York (Westchester County, see last picture) from approximately 1916 to 1936. He died before I was born and I never asked my father about him. So I'm not 100% sure on those dates, but I'm in the ballpark. I did find an article once in a 1918, Mt. Vernon newspaper that mentioned him helping to break up a factory worker uprising. Anyway, I have some buttons off his uniform(s), his blackjack and his billy clubs, truncheons, night sticks, batons, etc. I like to call them attitude adjusters. The blackjack definitely saw some use. The billy clubs are in fantastic condition with only the original lanyards showing any wear or damage. I also have his Mount Vernon N.Y., Police Department, Holy Name Society lapel/tie pin. At some point, he was also a Mt. Vernon firefighter (volunteer?). He was a representative to, and I have his delegate badge/medal from, the 35th Annual Convention Of The State Of New York Firemen's Association. It was held in Elmira, New York from August 21-23, 1907.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.11 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Mt. Vernon, New York - In The Middle Of The Map.
Mt. Vernon, New York - In The Middle Of The Map.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

D13C484A-81DA-4F37-AB05-0631BB9D2905.jpeg
B8E6F5D3-5F2A-441C-8DBA-C3BA28B96E54_1_201_a.jpeg
0BE3260A-7F04-456F-8117-5EE7D408E556.jpeg
5EB719EF-818A-4982-B152-453FA11F698B.jpeg
These are from my maternal grandfather. The first item was actually his parent's, a felt banner to display in your window so people would know you had a son in the service, this is WW1. Sadly when I got it it was already moth eaten and faded. The next item is a civil war military issue model 1860 Colt in .44 caliber. He had a huge gun collection but his third wife sold most of it off but I did get this revolver. Last item is my absolute favorite. It is a gold plated watch fob with a piece of German shrapnel that was removed from his butt in WW1. He was a private in WW1, went on to teach at Annapolis and served as a colonel in the Marines in WW2. Gotta love his sense of humor that he had that shrapnel made into a watch fob that he wore for years. He also liked telling folks where it had been removed from.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::dang:: Had actually! My Grandfather was a county constable and learned fingerprinting from the FBI. After he passed I got his fingerprint manual and the accessories. Unfortunately I lost them in a flood. I still have some tools that he had and will be passed on. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Great stuff posted here. I neglected to mention in my original post that my Grandpa Henry die over 11 years before I was born. Those of you who had a Grandpa that you actually remember and lived alongside are really the lucky ones.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 pm I was thinking the other day and lamenting how I do not have a knife that had belonged to my Grandpa (dads dad). But then I got to thinking I do have several items that belonged to grandpa even if I don't have a knife. If you have something that belonged to your dads dad, show it here.
A picture of Grandpa Henry when he was a street car conductor in Dubuque, IA about 1907. This would be shortly before moving to South Dakota in 1910.
IMG_3995.JPG
The journal that Grandpa carried in his pocket. If he went to town and bought an axe handle for 10 cents, he wrote it down in this journal. He made notations about other things also, such as the electoral vote count of the election of 1900 when William McKinley was elected president, and the news from Buffalo NY when President McKinley was assassinated by Leon Czolgosz in 1901.
IMG_3994.JPG
My Grandpas pocket watch and pocket pistol. The watch is a Longines, and the pocket pistol is a Forehand Model 1901 by Hopkins and Allen in caliber 32 S & W. The family story told to me by my dad tells of the day the family went to town in the horse and buggy. When they returned to the farm from town, there was a "chicken hawk" sitting on a fencepost along the road at the end of the driveway. Grandpa raised English Longhorn chickens, and the presence of a chickenhawk so close the the home place caused an alarm. Grandpa drew the pictured pocket pistol from his coat pocket, fired all 5 shots, and never even raised a feather. I would ask that you not judge Grandpa harshly for his poor marksmanship, but rather comment on the poor sights and overall accuracy of the Hopkins & Allen pistol.
IMG_3992.JPG
Looks like a hammer less 32 Caliber short. I had a S & W and ammo was still available.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 pm Great stuff posted here. I neglected to mention in my original post that my Grandpa Henry die over 11 years before I was born. Those of you who had a Grandpa that you actually remember and lived alongside are really the lucky ones.
I couldn't agree more!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

samb1955 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:00 pm Great stuff posted here. I neglected to mention in my original post that my Grandpa Henry die over 11 years before I was born. Those of you who had a Grandpa that you actually remember and lived alongside are really the lucky ones.
I couldn't agree more!!!
Me three! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just reading and enjoying this thread and all these posts, and i found it very ironic, both my Grandfathers were dead before i was born.The one on my mothers side, died just over 100 years ago from the Spanish Flu, a bit eery actually considering what is happening all over the world currently. ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm Just reading and enjoying this thread and all these posts, and i found it very ironic, both my Grandfathers were dead before i was born.The one on my mothers side, died just over 100 years ago from the Spanish Flu, a bit eery actually considering what is happening all over the world currently. ::handshake::
Same with me cudgee, I never met either of my Grandfathers, although, my Grandpa on my mom's side came back from WW1 minus a leg, and ended up starting The War Amps of Canada. Sure wish I'd known em' both! 8)
8)
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I'll have to dig out some stuff I have from my MATERNAL grandfather. Since I'm living on the family farm, I got a LOT of weird stuff lying around in sheds.

As for my PATERNAL grandfather, he and my P grandmother divorced either before I was born or shortly thereafter. The only thing I have from him was an account of his WW1 service, which about a year ago I found out is almost as false as a sworn statement from Kilary.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I guess I am a bit more fortunate than other posters here in that it was my grandparents on my mother's side who raised me.Sadly my grandmother passed away when I was ten which left my grandfather(who was 78 years old at the time)the task of raising a young 'un.
The pictures I am posting are as follows:
#1 is my grandfather & grandmother in their first car(a 1903 Stevens-Duryea that was gifted to him by his employer)circa 1910.
#2 is a picture of my grandmother's brother(and my great uncle)who was a Marine in the Spanish-American War.Picture was taken in the late 1890's.
#3 is my grandfather's pocket knife that I found(along with the first knife I ever bought)in my mother's effects when I cleaned out her apartment after her passing in 1987.My grandfather passed in 1965.
#4 is my grandfather's Elgin pocket watch that I also found there.
#5 is a sign that my grandfather made for his summer cottage that he built for his wife in 1938.The cottage was passed down through the family after his death and my cousin eventually sold it.Her brother-in-law thankfully took the sign and I acquired it from him.I left it just as it was.Whenever we went to the cottage,the first thing he would do is get out the sign and hang it up.Good memories.
Attachments
1903StevensDuryea2.JPG
GreatUncleJamesDaltonca1898.jpg
GrampsKnife1 001.jpg
ElginPocketWatch#1114620-Movement#3533031 001.jpg
MiscellaneousGaragePics 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Here's a few things.
20210119_115527.jpg
20210119_115407.jpg
Grandpa's tool boxes, carpenters and mechanics with tools, he was a master carpenter and went to school in Nashville to become a mechanic probably around 1925.
20210115_074537.jpg
Secretary that actually was bought by my great grandpa and has been handed down.
20210115_074457.jpg
Grandma's rocking chair, I at one time had my Grandpa's chair, a sugar bowl that was supposed be in the neighborhood of 200 years old, and his Queen congress pocket knife. All burned in a house fire in '68.
20210115_074344.jpg
Quilt made by my great grand mother and grandmother probably around a hundred years ogo.
20210116_120439.jpg
old.
His ole single barrel.
Attachments
20210116_120534.jpg
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That shotgun looks like the one I inherited from my grandpa, small world ain't it.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Couldn't agree more!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”