All About Vegetation, House Plants, Gardens, Trees ect.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: All About Vegetation, House Plants, Gardens, Trees ect.

Post by Waukonda »

bighomer wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 pm My pleasure, thanks for the kind words fellers, I've got a bunch of photos of 💐 on my phone , cheers me up on a dreary winter day. ::handshake::
I thought "cheering you Up" was Nikki D's job! ::rotflol::
Ike
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

She along with several others make my day, we are blessed with pretty weather gals.
A ray of sunshine on a breezy day. A little play on words I guess, as NikkI D.Ray, Danielle Breezy and Bree Sunshine Smith are 3 of our local weather girls. ::super_happy:: ::handshake::
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

We moved into our new place last May, and I have enjoyed getting to know all the trees on the place. It is 5 acres and very wooded. We sit up on a limestone ridge, and have Live Oak, Post Oak, Cedar, Cedar Elm, and lots of Texas Ash trees. I took down some young skinny Ash trees a few months ago that were blocking my view off the back of the ridge (you can see for miles). I gathered them up to make some walking sticks with my drawknife and turn some mallets on the lathe. I have a few Live Oak trees that have Oak Wilt, and they need to be taken down. I have some beautiful stands of Live Oak, and hopefully I can keep the fungus away from them. I haven't seen any evidence of the Emerald Ash Borer in my Ash trees.

There's a 40 foot elevation change on the property. I have found some ammonites and reef shell fossils from the cretaceous period. It's weird the think this place was all under the sea at one point.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Unk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm We moved into our new place last May, and I have enjoyed getting to know all the trees on the place. It is 5 acres and very wooded. We sit up on a limestone ridge, and have Live Oak, Post Oak, Cedar, Cedar Elm, and lots of Texas Ash trees. I took down some young skinny Ash trees a few months ago that were blocking my view off the back of the ridge (you can see for miles). I gathered them up to make some walking sticks with my drawknife and turn some mallets on the lathe. I have a few Live Oak trees that have Oak Wilt, and they need to be taken down. I have some beautiful stands of Live Oak, and hopefully I can keep the fungus away from them. I haven't seen any evidence of the Emerald Ash Borer in my Ash trees.

There's a 40 foot elevation change on the property. I have found some ammonites and reef shell fossils from the cretaceous period. It's weird the think this place was all under the sea at one point.
Sounds like you got yourself a beautiful chunck of land. ::tu:: ::super_happy:: Congrats! ::handshake::
Wish I had something like that. ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Tom. We are real happy here.
Attachments
20200805_201945.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Unk, your place does sound like a little piece of paradise. My wife and I made a choice to live on the edge of town on a regular subdivision lot, but I do miss the wider spaces of a place like yours.
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unk, Congratulations on acquiring a lovely bit of America. In time I hope you wll share some more photos of your place.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Unk wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm We moved into our new place last May, and I have enjoyed getting to know all the trees on the place. It is 5 acres and very wooded. We sit up on a limestone ridge, and have Live Oak, Post Oak, Cedar, Cedar Elm, and lots of Texas Ash trees. I took down some young skinny Ash trees a few months ago that were blocking my view off the back of the ridge (you can see for miles). I gathered them up to make some walking sticks with my drawknife and turn some mallets on the lathe. I have a few Live Oak trees that have Oak Wilt, and they need to be taken down. I have some beautiful stands of Live Oak, and hopefully I can keep the fungus away from them. I haven't seen any evidence of the Emerald Ash Borer in my Ash trees.

Where in Texas are you? Limestone ridges are going to put you in the hill country somewhere.

The Emerald Ash Borer has only been located in a single county in far NE Texas - Harrison County in 2012 and Marion and Cass Counties in 2018. It's anticpated that it will keep spreading and the Texas Forestry Service is very concerned about it.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks, that's good to know it's only been spotted in a few counties. The website I saw just showed that it had been located in Texas without any specifics. From what I read, it had destroyed millions of Ash trees, with no end in sight.

We're in North Texas, in Parker County, west of Fort Worth. Lots of rolling hills and ridges around here.
Mike

keithlong

Post by keithlong »

A friend of mine gave me some cuttings from her christmas cactus, and now I have of them rooted and off to a good start. I am looking for some easter and thanksgiving cactus cuttings to root next.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

We don't have house plants, so I took some vegetation pictures on my walk this morning. :lol: :lol:
Hey, it is January. ::doh::
Attachments
20210124_110331.jpg
20210124_110140.jpg
20210124_110153.jpg
Ike
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

It was a cold, wet, foggy day yesterday in North Texas. But we have a bright, beautiful, sunshine, 70 degree day today!

Some gloomy pics from yesterday from around the house yesterday, showing a couple of my live oak stands.
Attachments
20210124_122125.jpg
20210124_122151.jpg
20210124_122212.jpg
Mike

TPK

Post by TPK »

Waukonda wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:15 pm We don't have house plants, so I took some vegetation pictures on my walk this morning. :lol: :lol:
Hey, it is January. ::doh::
Looks like my house plants. :lol:

TPK

Post by TPK »

Unk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 pm It was a cold, wet, foggy day yesterday in North Texas. But we have a bright, beautiful, sunshine, 70 degree day today!

Some gloomy pics from yesterday from around the house yesterday, showing a couple of my live oak stands.
Looks like a nice place you have. I like those wood fences, the trees & the big garage. ::tu:: ::nod::

Edit: And the happy mushrooms frog & bird feeders. :lol:

wlf

Post by wlf »

We should all beware that 4-8 beans from this caster bean plant will kill you. We always called them dog tick plants.

Never heard of anyone getting poisoned, although they were prevalent throughout the country .

I like your all’s style BH.
Attachments
F71D68DC-D8DF-43F3-A456-0C5029FC0F40.jpeg
F71D68DC-D8DF-43F3-A456-0C5029FC0F40.jpeg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
TPK

Post by TPK »

wlf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 pm We should all beware that 4-8 beans from this caster bean plant will kill you. We always called them dog tick plants.

Never heard of anyone getting poisoned, although they were prevalent throughout the country .

I like your all’s style BH.
That plant has pretty colors. ::tu:: :D

wlf

Post by wlf »

Some of what remains alive :
Attachments
DAD3DC75-3396-4245-8C7E-8378846272CB.jpeg
B9FE20EA-50DA-46A4-BE0D-A0CEDC705465.jpeg
5889A66A-EE23-497E-8BFB-A33C12EBDF94.jpeg
843E10EB-F37F-4CC2-8039-19B324EB888E.jpeg
D15EF66F-49C1-4740-9DC5-0527D898776B.jpeg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
TPK

Post by TPK »

wlf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 pm Some of what remains alive :
Those shells are cool! 8) Looks like crabs coming out of them. Great idea! ::nod:: ::tu::

Time for bed now. Good night friends! ::handshake:: ::tired::

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

A view off the back of our ridge. It's prettier in the summer when everything is green.

There's a spanish dagger (yucca) seed pod in the foreground. Some young scraggly oaks on the left. The skinny stalks on the right are young ash trees. Some cedar trees behind them ( I don't like cedar trees) And the taller tree on the far right is a Chittumwood tree. We have quite a few of them.

The Chittumwood trees get little black berries in the fall, and the doves love them. They are small, twisted little trees, and they have thorns. The wood is also prized, evidently. I may have to see if I can turn some bowls out of it.
Attachments
20210126_140215.jpg
Mike

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Begonias bloomed in the middle of winter. Orchids have buds and soon they will bloom.
But the most interesting thing is that my aloe wants to bloom, which, as far as I read, is quite a rare event.
Attachments
IMG_20210201_191808.jpg
IMG_20210201_191957.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Here are a couple of good examples why hanging things on metal wires and rods hooked over tree branches are not good for the trees. About 15 years ago a woman lived across the street from me that had baskets with plants hanging everywhere. From the front and back decks, from a trellis over the walkway, and these two were hooked over the branches of the then small trees in front of the house. They are embedded so far now that they are in the middle of 4 inch branches.
IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4031.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
TPK

Post by TPK »

Eustace wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:13 pm Begonias bloomed in the middle of winter. Orchids have buds and soon they will bloom.
But the most interesting thing is that my aloe wants to bloom, which, as far as I read, is quite a rare event.
Nice flowers Georgi! ::tu:: :D

TPK

Post by TPK »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:40 pm Here are a couple of good examples why hanging things on metal wires and rods hooked over tree branches are not good for the trees. About 15 years ago a woman lived across the street from me that had baskets with plants hanging everywhere. From the front and back decks, from a trellis over the walkway, and these two were hooked over the branches of the then small trees in front of the house. They are embedded so far now that they are in the middle of 4 inch branches.
::doh:: Poor trees. ::doh::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Unk wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:14 pm A view off the back of our ridge. It's prettier in the summer when everything is green.

There's a spanish dagger (yucca) seed pod in the foreground. Some young scraggly oaks on the left. The skinny stalks on the right are young ash trees. Some cedar trees behind them ( I don't like cedar trees) And the taller tree on the far right is a Chittumwood tree. We have quite a few of them.

The Chittumwood trees get little black berries in the fall, and the doves love them. They are small, twisted little trees, and they have thorns. The wood is also prized, evidently. I may have to see if I can turn some bowls out of it.
You have a great view Mike. ::tu:: ::nod::

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thank you, Tom. I told my wife this is the last place I am moving. My next move will be the cemetery or the old folks home! Hopefully many years down the road. :lol:
Mike

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”