Any Train Enthusiasts Out There?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any Train Enthusiasts Out There?

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool find, David. The topography around Roanoke is very similar to the Cumberland area.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Railfanning across North America on July 4th & 5th. Cameo of Santa Fe 2913 4-8-4 Northern in Madison, Iowa along with lots of BNSF, NS, CP, CSX and more freight and AMTRAK in Ashland, VA. 🤔 Very cool vid, wondering how they pieced all of this together. 🚂

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TPK

Post by TPK »

DM11 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:45 am Looks like fun. :lol:

Looks lit a load of fun!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:40 pm Railfanning across North America on July 4th & 5th. Cameo of Santa Fe 2913 4-8-4 Northern in Madison, Iowa along with lots of BNSF, NS, CP, CSX and more freight and AMTRAK in Ashland, VA. 🤔 Very cool vid, wondering how they pieced all of this together. 🚂

Trains, Tanks & Fireworks. What more could ya ask for? ::shrug:: ::super_happy:: ::tu::

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:40 pm Railfanning across North America on July 4th & 5th. Cameo of Santa Fe 2913 4-8-4 Northern in Madison, Iowa along with lots of BNSF, NS, CP, CSX and more freight and AMTRAK in Ashland, VA. 🤔 Very cool vid, wondering how they pieced all of this together. 🚂

Enjoyed that Video John! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

So I'm sitting here watching Steam Locomotive videos on full screen and when the engineer looking out the side window goes by I catch myself waving at him. ::dang:: Might be time to turn off the computer and go to bed. :lol:
David
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

DM11 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:28 am So I'm sitting here watching Steam Locomotive videos on full screen and when the engineer looking out the side window goes by I catch myself waving at him. ::dang:: Might be time to turn off the computer and go to bed. :lol:

Too funny, David! 😉👍🚂

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

David, the most important time to turn off the computer is when you see the engineer waving back at you.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:33 pm David, the most important time to turn off the computer is when you see the engineer waving back at you.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I got my Marklin stuff out and am getting ready to get it running again. Thought I'd show off the rolling stock first.

I got my Marklin stuff out. I'd bought it around the time the pandemic had first started, only to find a pile of problems. I decided I'd finally make good use of it and get at least one running locomotive and a small oval layout setup on the dining room table that's rarely ever used.

Various goods cars.

Some are marked for Schering-Plough. They came with my DRG Class 89.0 and a pile of tracks, so I suspect it was a giveaway to doctors before the feds reined in that stuff.

100_0903.JPG
Beer car! I don't drink, but I really like the wide variety of "beer cars" Marklin did. I think they covered basically every beer sold in Germany--this one being Spaten-Franziskaner brewed in Munich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaten-Fr ... -Br%C3%A4u
100_0914.JPG

Here are my two locomotives.

DRG Class 89.0; ca. 1980s. It has a plastic shell, not diecast as did those which originated in the '60s. Runs rough, and I had to borrow a pickup shoe from a another locomotive to get it running. I cleaned a ton of crap out of the mechanism. I suspect the previous owner mostly used it as a Christmas train, let their kids play with it, and never did any maintenance.

100_0910.JPG
100_0912.JPG

The black flatcar is actually a chassis from a tipping car that came broken. I accidentally dropped one of the box cars and broke a coupler, so I'm swapping chassis.

100_0906.JPG
Hanomag Henschel DH series shunter. Produced starting in the 1960s, and many are still in use today. Marklin still uses a variant in many smaller sets.

The odd thing about mine is that normally, all three axles are powered. This one only has two, and only the rear is powered. I presume it was a cheaper version made for a starter set or something.
100_0919.JPG
If it weren't for space considerations, I would've stuck with American Flyer S or Lionel O. However, I found my Lionel 0/27 Scout that needs a ton of work recently, and I think I'll switch over to O.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:33 pm David, the most important time to turn off the computer is when you see the engineer waving back at you.

Duly noted Garry! ::tu:: So far the engineer hasnt waved back so I guess I havent totally lost it. :lol:
David
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm I got my Marklin stuff out and am getting ready to get it running again. Thought I'd show off the rolling stock first.

I got my Marklin stuff out. I'd bought it around the time the pandemic had first started, only to find a pile of problems. I decided I'd finally make good use of it and get at least one running locomotive and a small oval layout setup on the dining room table that's rarely ever used.

Various goods cars.

Some are marked for Schering-Plough. They came with my DRG Class 89.0 and a pile of tracks, so I suspect it was a giveaway to doctors before the feds reined in that stuff.

100_0903.JPG

Beer car! I don't drink, but I really like the wide variety of "beer cars" Marklin did. I think they covered basically every beer sold in Germany--this one being Spaten-Franziskaner brewed in Munich.

100_0914.JPG

DRG Class 89.0; ca. 1980s. It has a plastic shell, not diecast as did those which originated in the '60s. Runs rough, and I had to borrow a pickup shoe from a another locomotive to get it running. I cleaned a ton of crap out of the mechanism. I suspect the previous owner mostly used it as a Christmas train, let their kids play with it, and never did any maintenance.

100_0910.JPG

100_0912.JPG

The black flatcar is actually a chassis from a tipping car that came broken. I accidentally dropped one of the box cars and broke a coupler, so I'm swapping chassis.

100_0906.JPG

Hanomag Henschel DH series shunter. Produced starting in the 1960s, and many are still in use today. Marklin still uses a variant in many smaller sets.

The odd thing about mine is that normally, all three axles are powered. This one only has two, and only the rear is powered. I presume it was a cheaper version made for a starter set or something.

100_0919.JPG

If it weren't for space considerations, I would've stuck with American Flyer S or Lionel O. However, I found my Lionel 0/27 Scout that needs a ton of work recently, and I think I'll switch over to O.

Those are cool, cody. S gauge? I've had a few Spaten and Franziskaner, they must have split at some point? Lionel Scouts are pretty cool, check YouTube for maintenance videos. ::nod::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:26 am
cody6268 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm I got my Marklin stuff out and am getting ready to get it running again. Thought I'd show off the rolling stock first.

Various goods cars.

100_0903.JPG

100_0914.JPG

100_0910.JPG

100_0912.JPG

100_0906.JPG

100_0919.JPG

Those are cool, cody. S gauge? I've had a few Spaten and Franziskaner, they must have split at some point? Lionel Scouts are pretty cool, check YouTube for maintenance videos. ::nod::
They're 1:87, three-rail AC. Also VERY mechanically complex compared to the Scout.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool. 😎👍

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Got some shots yesterday of Norfolk Southern EMD action in the Vulcan Yards, and AMTRAK blowing through before I could get a decent picture. That thing is always zipping along. 🚅🔥
Attachments
IMG_20220728_112140649.jpg
IMG_20220728_112122372.jpg
IMG_20220728_113042201.jpg

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Nice ones! ::tu::
David
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

A couple shots of GT locos on an old GM&O line.
Attachments
20220805_164526.jpg
20220805_165155.jpg
Ike
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice pictures John & Ike! ::nod:: ::tu:: :D

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Ike, it's great to see those GT loco's still pounding the iron!
David
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very nice shots Ike.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Thanks, Tom, David, and Garry.
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Evansville Western Railway is a short line RR that operates on an old L & N line from Evansville, In, West into Southern Illinois. They haul grain and coal to a dock on the Ohio. I came across a couple of their old "geeps" paired with road slugs yesterday, taking some filled grain cars from a small town mill on the line. I wasn't able to get a decent vantage point to get photos that pleased me, but here they are.
Attachments
20220805_104238.jpg
20220805_104056.jpg
20220805_104243.jpg
20220805_104105.jpg
Ike
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Ike, thanks for those pics. ::tu::
David
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I don't know, they look like great shots to me, Ike! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I like the color of that engine.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”