Be Careful Out There

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Be Careful Out There

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I and my twelve year old grandson were stopped at a light on University Blvd at the main entrance to St Vincent’s Hospital when a man, who looked to be in his mid-thirties, ran out into the street and stopped in front of us and started yelling something that I could not really hear.

He began pointing at the Special Forces tag on the front and pointing at me.

He had a rock, about the size of a softball and proceeded to throw it with all his mite into my windshield. He picked it up and threw it a second and third time.

There was a line of cars making a left hand turn into the hospital in front of me and cars to my right and left. I had no where to go.

He was right in front of my car.

Kenneth was yelling, “GO GO GO!!!”, but I couldn’t.

Finally, there was a path to the left and around the back of the last vehicle making the left hand turn and I took it.

I was not going to run down anybody over a windshield.

What is a seventy-four year old man, belted into a driver’s seat going to be able to do with a very fit thirty odd year old mental case with a softball sized rock?

I was not armed. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

I drove to a McD’s close by and called 911 and two patrol cars responded. As soon as I gave them a brief description, one of them left to search for him.

The other officer was taking down all the information and as I was repeating the description of the man, two female McD’s employees were close by taking a smoke break. They both piped up and said, “That was Corey! He works here. He just left and he was mad. He has mental issues.”

So, I assume they know who he is.

Two thousand dollars plus in damages, including the hood,a wiper arm and the portion of the dashboard that contains the light sensor.

Not sure anything will come of this.

I haven’t left the house without a weapon since, though. I have to make that same drive at the same time, four days a week until the end of July.
Attachments
B2E73FBD-0599-428D-B046-0C02366FB276.jpeg
9EE24D54-0BBD-4E57-A2A0-AC1D1CF6A437.jpeg
8DAC0F64-F6B1-4676-ADF1-4A31B7E993C5.jpeg
DEFA486A-6820-4D56-93E8-E3579B65D6D4.jpeg
086119E2-D1AB-46D9-865E-BC532D0BE18D.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Be Careful Out There

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang Charlie. Wrong place at the wrong time. Between a rock and a hard place with no place to go.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Charlie, congratulations, it sounds like you kept your cool and did all the right things. Although I've been tempted to carry a weapon in my vehicle, I don't, mainly because I might be tempted to use it in a situation like what just happened to you. And that would be a big mistake. ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: 1 more argument for conceal carry. I guess your lucky it was only a rock but what if he had a gun. To many people with mental health problems. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Praise God you or your grandson were not hurt. I'm guessing since he was pointing at your tag he has something against the military. I hope they catch the guy and get him some help very soon. He sounds like the kind of guy that might show up at a crowd and do something much worse. Stay safe brother and wear your handgun. ::handshake::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dang Charlie, I'm sorry to hear that. Good thing is, nobody got hurt. You kept a cool head. ::nod:: I probably would have hit the gas which means someone probably would have gotten hurt. You did the right thing though. ::tu:: Sorry to hear about the damage to your car Charlie. ::doh:: I hope your grandson is ok. I'm sure it was a shocking experience for him.
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Charlie, glad you and your grandson came through unscathed physically. He learned some valuable lessons watching you in this case. Sorry for all the headache in repairs. ::handshake::
BWT

Post by BWT »

That’s a tough one Charlie. Really unfortunate for your grandson. I never leave my home without a handgun, but in that situation you did good and a gun wouldn’t have helped unless he had one too. Unless he pointed a weapon at me or had actually opened the doors on the car to where he could actually harm someone not much you can do at our age.
Bill
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Scary stuff and big stress. Sorry to see it happen to you. I carry but after reading several of Massad Ayoob's books I would never suggest that anyone else do it unless they have done the same, and probably not then. On the other hand, I live in one of the safest places in the U.S., much less the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Sorry to hear about this incident Charlie. It’s upsetting and disturbs your sense of security. I’m in the camp of those that carry. I have a gun in my car and in the house I am always just a few feet from a gun at all times. I drill my wife on “where is the gun in this room?” Just to make sure she knows and remembers where one is if she needs it. I live in the country and you need protection until the police arrive. I’d rather be the one with the upper hand in a bad situation. Given your training in special forces, I would think that you would more than qualified to carry.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry to hear that you and your grandson were subject to that Charlie.
Thank God you acted with restraint, and no one was hurt. I'm not sure What I would have done in that situation.
My body keeps reminding me that I will be 70 next month, my mind/ego still thinks I can do all the things I did when I was 20, especially when adrenaline is involved. A wise man listens to his body; a foolish man listens to his ego. I compliment you Sir, on your wisdom! ::nod::

I question my own wisdom in this regard, and for that reason I avoid driving in downtown Portland, OR. Too many things can happen down there suddenly, and I'm not sure how I would react.
Unless someone did something that was threatening, or potentially threatening to my wife. Then I know exactly what I would do. :evil: ::smack::
In this state I would most likely be the one in jail… or the morgue.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sad to hear about that experience Charlie. That is one area where the younger generation has learned something we older folks don’t know, which is to use the cameras built into cell phones to document things happening around us. To them it is second nature, probably the first thing they think of.

Yesterday while stopped at a traffic light, I witnessed a minor traffic accident. One vehicle failed to stop in time and bumped the car in front of it, already stopped at the red light. Almost immediately a young woman emerged from the driver side of the front vehicle, phone in hand, taking video of the offending vehicle and its driver (an older woman). I was the passenger in a car in an adjacent lane. She began filming panoramic video of all the other cars also stopped at the light, including the license plates. I got out of the car and asked her if she was hurt. No reply - she was videoing me asking her if she was okay. She then got back into the drivers seat of her car and began making a call, saying emphatically “I’m calling my dad.

I’m still amazed at how quickly she started making video documentation of everything. I’d never have thought of that. So far I’ve heard no more about the incident. BTW neither driver was hurt nor were either of the cars. Not a scratch.

Charlie, keep your cell phone handy. Use it. Then give the evidence you captured to the police. Hard to do but that’s what the kids do. In fact they’re more likely to call a TV station and give the evidence to them than to the police. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Wow Charlie! I've been to that exact intersection taking my wife to St. Vincent.
:shock:

Glad you and your grandson were not hurt. You kept a cooler head than I would have.

Used to be, only certain neighborhoods were dangerous, and usually only after dark.
Now you never know where the loonies will come from !!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Wow that loonie was probably posted up waiting his chance to get at your vehicle because of the sticker on it ...how often do you go to that Mc'ds ? Last few years have been going this way people having property damaged because of what is in their yard or on their truck or car SOB's have get out of jail free cards...glad you and your boy got home alright....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Twice in my life I have had the driver in front of stop and get out of their car with a bat/tire iron in their hand coming back at me.. Twice I have bounced them off the front of my truck and drove away.. If its him or me.. Its gonna be him.. I would not have hesitated to do it all over again today..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

What a total PITA, Charlie. I think the worst part of it is the effect the incident may have on your grandson. I still remember stuff from my childhood that were not nearly as traumatic as that.

Here is a link to the story of an incident that happened to me two years ago when my neighbor went nuts.
https://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=20317.0
Mel

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”