3/4 Ton Chevy

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

3/4 Ton Chevy

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I have a 5.7 3/4 ton (2500) Chevy truck.
Soon we will get a car for my Sister and I get the truck back.

My question.... Must I run HT tires on the front?
Mostly back and forth to work and maybe 2 or 3 times a week to Cleveland or Livingston.
Will standard load tires be ok?

One front tire must be replaced and the other has cracks that make a blowout seem possible.
Looking for the magic penny!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 3/4 Ton Chevy

Post by Mumbleypeg »

HT stands for highway/terrain, meaning the tires have a compromise tread made for running on a highway or off road. Any tire having a weight rating adequate for the weight of your truck should be fine. You should be able to get tires designed for primarily highway use. Check with your Chevy dealer or tire store.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

One of the most important things to consider is the speed rating on the tires that are recommended for your vehicle. Speed rating determines how hard or soft the rubber is on the tires. I’v found that the speed rating matters way more than tire store employees understand. A tire that is rated for 80,000 miles, has extremely hard tread and won’t have good grip and will have a low speed rating and it won’t ride nice either.
Don’t get what’s cheapest or what seems like it will last for years, get what is recommended by the manufacturer and feel the difference.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would concur and use the recommended type and size of tire originally fitted to the truck.I don't know if manufacturers still put the tread wear rating on tires any more but as a rule of thumb the higher the tread wear number the harder the compound is.Another critical part is maintaining the proper inflation pressure in the tires.I usually check mine once a week and ifr I find one losing pressure(even a little)I find out why. Not only does it contribute significantly to tire wear but it can be very dangerous;causing a vehicle to swerve when braking.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Choosing the right tire for a vehicle is a challenge because you won't know how they will 'ride' on your vehicle until after you have bought them.
A good friend had a different vehicle from mine but same size and weight and same rim size. He had tires on his that he raved about, 'best ride ever'. So i bought 4 new tires same ones he had but on my vehicle the ride felt harsh and did not instill confidence.
Tires are one of the most important aspects of your vehicle They are your contact with the road and have a large effect on how your vehicle handles.
Don't buy tires just because they are less expensive.
I have Toyo tires on my V8 4-Runner and the ride and grip is excellent.
kj
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I bought a 2020 Chevy 2500 HD 1 1/2 years ago....had the tires switched
out at dealer before I even picked it up...
B F Goodrich All Terrain, been running them on my Chevy trucks
since late 1990's, well so over 20 years, best tire I found for what I do
camper2.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Okay. A better question is do I have to run a heavy duty tire on the front or will a standard load be ok.
When I was driving Hot Shot I would run heavy duty on all four.
Right now there are standard loads on the rear and heavy duty on front.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: 4 wheel drive vechicals are suppose to have the same tires all around and the same wear. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

These handle load fine, 30,000 miles
and ain't never added air, 74 lbs in rear,
64 lbs in front, and camper ain't been off it for 13 months !!!
Between trips to see daughter & grandsons in Mich, 2-3 a year,
and running up in mountains for a few days to prospect and
get out of some heat, I just leave the damn thing on.

Stag
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dave, I asked our son who has sold Chevys for 18 years, about tires for your truck. (Before that he sold Dodge Rams). He’s the Fleet Sales manager for one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in Texas. His recommendation is to not put anything less than E rated tires on your 2500 truck, and same tires on all 4 wheels. The “E” is the weight rating. His personal truck is a 2500 4WD diesel. He runs Cooper Discovery AT3 tires on his truck, says they are All Terrain tires but it’s not an aggressive tread, and ride great on highway with no road noise. He recommends them to all his truck customers and has positive feedback from them regarding those tires.

He also said if you have the owner’s manual for the truck you should follow what it says. You can put higher load rated tires on it but you should never put lower rated tires on it. The load rating recommendation is based on the weight of your truck and has nothing to do with whether you’re a little old lady who only drives to church on a Sunday’s. :lol:

Hope that’s helpful.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

New tires are out of the question. 4 of the same ain't happening.
I'll see about getting two E rated for the front in which I run 45 PSI.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”