Windows and Solar Radiation

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Windows and Solar Radiation

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:23 pm Unfortunately in Roland’s situation, in his first post he says “retail stores have been sold out of AC units since early June”. So the most obvious solution is apparently not viable for him. That’s why I suggested the home made swamp cooler for some relief, at least until the weather changes or the stores there get some AC units in stock. Not the best solution, but it helps unless/until a better one becomes available.

Ken
Ken, I have a question about the swamp cooler thing. My wife’s grandparents lived out in the desert of California for a few years and they had one. In talking to an HVAC guy here about them, he said they didn’t work so well here because of our high humidity, sometimes in the 80% range. What’s the humidity like down there in your part of Texas?

Roland, if the portable a/c units are sold out in your area, perhaps amazon would be an option. Here is the opening search page from amazon for portable a/c units.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Air-Con ... de=1193678
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:29 pm
Ken, I have a question about the swamp cooler thing. My wife’s grandparents lived out in the desert of California for a few years and they had one. In talking to an HVAC guy here about them, he said they didn’t work so well here because of our high humidity, sometimes in the 80% range. What’s the humidity like down there in your part of Texas?
Average humidity here is 60-65% pretty much year around. Of course there are days when it is higher - over 90%, and days when lower, and it’s typically higher in the morning than in the afternoon. When I was a kid that was the least of our concerns. AC wasn’t in the equation. I don’t think AC units were very commonplace and we couldn’t afford one anyway. I don’t recall any friends who had one either.

But dad was a high school shop teacher (they called it “Industrial Arts”) and could make or repair just about anything. He and my uncle made the evaporative “swamp” cooler we had - at least the one I remember - I’m sure it replaced an earlier one.

I still remember the day dad came home with a window unit air conditioner, the summer before I started 9th grade. It cooled the living room and kitchen, but the door to hallway to the bedrooms stayed closed - we still used the attic fan to “cool” the bedrooms. In July through September you were lucky if it got cool enough to sleep by midnight. Some nights I slept on the couch in the living room, or on the porch. ::uc::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I live in the Deep South where high temps and high humidity is the norm 7 months of the year. You can use all of the passive means possible, but in 100 degree weather you need mechanical means to remove the heat from your house.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I really do appreciate all the helpful posts made here. It is now mid September and the 'heat dome' is gone and we are back to normal early Fall weather, including getting some much needed rain.
I did decide to go ahead with the $1600 to install a reflective film over 5 West facing windows. The guy wanted $800 up front as he had to purchase this reflective film, cut to size, from the manufacturer ? in Florida. I e-transferred him the $800. He did not show up on the day the installation was to be done. He had died in an accident the evening before. He was a 'one man show' and there is no way to get my $800 back but it is no big deal compared to loosing your life.
I will buy a couple of portable AC units in the early Spring so i will be ready for the summer heat.
thanks again, kj

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”