Cigar Connoisseur

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cigar Connoisseur

Post by C-WADE7 »

I will have to try to find one. I don’t mind to splurge every now and then, just not too often, like you said you appreciate it more when it’s rare.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:25 am I will have to try to find one. I don’t mind to splurge every now and then, just not too often, like you said you appreciate it more when it’s rare.
First one I had, I was skeptical. After trying it, I can honestly say that it’s the absolute best cigar I’ve ever had.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Paired that fine cigar with a double shot of Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon. Smoked that cigar until the ashes fell behind my teeth. Life doesn’t get any better than that !
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:53 pm Paired that fine cigar with a double shot of Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon. Smoked that cigar until the ashes fell behind my teeth. Life doesn’t get any better than that !
Glad you enjoyed it, got to treat yourself now then ! The neighbor and I sat on the porch Monday night wit a couple of those Factory Smoke cigars.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:26 am
OSCAR wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:53 pm Paired that fine cigar with a double shot of Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon. Smoked that cigar until the ashes fell behind my teeth. Life doesn’t get any better than that !
Glad you enjoyed it, got to treat yourself now then ! The neighbor and I sat on the porch Monday night wit a couple of those Factory Smoke cigars.
Cwade, I ordered some to try. Hard to beat for the price. A good cigar! Thanks for your recommendation.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

My brother had a breakdown and I got him fixed up and back going that afternoon, so since I wouldn’t charge him he had these sent to the house. Haven’t had a chance to try them yet, but looking forward to it.
Attachments
Ashton VSG Enchanment
Ashton VSG Enchanment
7AD58A4A-D222-4874-9294-EAAFD6FAD973.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:15 pm My brother had a breakdown and I got him fixed up and back going that afternoon, so since I wouldn’t charge him he had these sent to the house. Haven’t had a chance to try them yet, but looking forward to it.
Cwade, your brother has good taste. Ashton is a fine cigar. A very mellow premium smoke. Savor them and enjoy each and every one. I’m jealous. ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Tonight, I have plans for an El Rey Del Munro Robusto. A superb cigar at a good price. I usually get the five pack but have bought boxes on occasion. By the box it comes out to just over $4 apiece. Not bad at all. It’s a very old brand and made in the Cuban style. Dark maduro wrapper. One of my all time favorite cigars. JR Cigar sells them as well as the five packs.
Attachments
EC8AB863-145A-4812-B699-DD9C5EBF68F3.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Oscar I tried one of my new Ashton cigars last night. Good smoke, mild flavor. It’s different than the infused ones I e been smoking but a great cigar.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:33 pm Oscar I tried one of my new Ashton cigars last night. Good smoke, mild flavor. It’s different than the infused ones I e been smoking but a great cigar.
Cwade, Ashtons are top shelf. They are one of the premium cigars. You received a terrific gift. Enjoy them !! I buy them every so often. I like to alternate my cigars so I don’t get tired of smoking the same ones over and over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Made a cigar punch on my lathe today from deer antler. Cuts a neat hole in the end. Push button ejects the cut plug. Works great. Enjoying a bourbon and cigar on my back porch. Cigar is a Partagas .
Attachments
EA5E27ED-F94C-4897-AA91-222E172705AD.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:45 pm Made a cigar punch on my lathe today from deer antler. Cuts a neat hole in the end. Push button ejects the cut plug. Works great. Enjoying a bourbon and cigar on my back porch. Cigar is a Partagas .
Very cool! Was the punch a pre bought blank that you turned the stag and drilled to fit? I used to use a 33-06 round that I sharpened the edge on, now I usually use my 5mm #11 palm gouge.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:59 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:45 pm Made a cigar punch on my lathe today from deer antler. Cuts a neat hole in the end. Push button ejects the cut plug. Works great. Enjoying a bourbon and cigar on my back porch. Cigar is a Partagas .
Very cool! Was the punch a pre bought blank that you turned the stag and drilled to fit? I used to use a 33-06 round that I sharpened the edge on, now I usually use my 5mm #11 palm gouge.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:59 pm
Punch parts were a kit. I drilled out the antler, turned on lathe and press fitted parts together. Here’s another I made using an acrylic called Kirinite.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:28 pm [ Here’s another I made using an acrylic called Kirinite.
Same as the newer Case knives, very cool.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Todays shipment from JR.
20 of JR’s own. One of the few that are good. 10 Maria Mancini that are reasonable and very good. The Ciglo’s were a freebie that they threw in. Eight free cigars in the tube. Never had one before.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Sitting on the porch today enjoying a Mark Twain Memoir that was a gift from a fellow member. It is a great smoke! Large size and very smooth, definitely a good one to add to the rotation.
Attachments
445FEB0A-77CD-4780-A9E1-10DFB0CDF456.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Got a new catalog yesterday. Seems that the price of Mark Twain has increased some. No surprise as everything does. Used to be about $3.25 a stick. It’s $4 a cigar now. Still a great bargain for a very good cigar.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:26 pm Got a new catalog yesterday. Seems that the price of Mark Twain has increased some. No surprise as everything does. Used to be about $3.25 a stick. It’s $4 a cigar now. Still a great bargain for a very good cigar.
Every thing I’m interested in goes up in price Oscar, if I order more they will be $10 a piece before it’s over. I was doing some work at the restaurant outside today and enjoyed a Drew factory smoke, I had to smoke it up because I’m out of room in the humidor!!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:55 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:26 pm Got a new catalog yesterday. Seems that the price of Mark Twain has increased some. No surprise as everything does. Used to be about $3.25 a stick. It’s $4 a cigar now. Still a great bargain for a very good cigar.
Every thing I’m interested in goes up in price Oscar, if I order more they will be $10 a piece before it’s over. I was doing some work at the restaurant outside today and enjoyed a Drew factory smoke, I had to smoke it up because I’m out of room in the humidor!!
Which is why I have more than one humidor. I really need to cut back on my 4-5 cigars a day.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:04 pm Which is why I have more than one humidor. I really need to cut back on my 4-5 cigars a day.
Nah, you just used the old adapt and overcome method to solve the problem. I was reading the band on the Mark Twain and figure you can just follow his quote”It has been my rule never to smoke when sleeping…and never to refrain from smoking when awake. ”.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Tonights cigar is La Flor Dominicana Ligero. I am a huge fan of this one but I don’t recommend it. It’s probably one of the strongest cigars out there. Great tasting but NOT for everyone.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Debating what cigars I’ll have today. I have a Cohiba I’ve been saving. Would make for a great after breakfast cigar. Tonight, definitely an el Rey del Mundo (translation : King of the World), along with a great bourbon. In between, probably Mark Twain or… Brick House. Weekend looks to be off to a great start.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:16 am Debating what cigars I’ll have today. I have a Cohiba I’ve been saving. Would make for a great after breakfast cigar. Tonight, definitely an el Rey del Mundo (translation : King of the World), along with a great bourbon. In between, probably Mark Twain or… Brick House. Weekend looks to be off to a great start.
Sounds like a good line up, I’ve been busy this week in the evenings just time for 1 cigar so far, but maybe I will change that tonight.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:54 am
OSCAR wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:16 am Debating what cigars I’ll have today. I have a Cohiba I’ve been saving. Would make for a great after breakfast cigar. Tonight, definitely an el Rey del Mundo (translation : King of the World), along with a great bourbon. In between, probably Mark Twain or… Brick House. Weekend looks to be off to a great start.
Sounds like a good line up, I’ve been busy this week in the evenings just time for 1 cigar so far, but maybe I will change that tonight.
Try the el Rey del Mundo if you want full flavor. The My Father is a fantastic cigar if you are in the mood for a mellow cigar. The My Father is one of the very few that I buy local. I get 2-3 at a time. Boxes (online) are out of my price range. Singles cost more per cigar but I don’t smoke them everyday.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”