Elvis Movie

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
just bob

Elvis Movie

Post by just bob »

We had free HBO last week and got to see the newer Elvis movie. Incredible. Kind of a time capsule built within the movie with true historical events. If you're older it's very easy to remember where you were when those events were unfolding. Great acting. Tom Hanks quietly steals the show and will no doubt be an Oscar nominee. I would tell you it's the best movie in the last 5 years, but with Covid there just hasn't been a lot of new movies. Check it out. I think you'll like it.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Elvis Movie

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Agreed! I really enjoyed it. I had not heard much about it before we went to see it, and so I didn't have high expectations. I thought it was excellent - and, of course, when I left the theater I was also quite sad as I considered how many times great talent has been combined with a life full of drama and sadness. My wife says that having that level of talent means that everything in your life must be completely over the top outrageous. I suspect she is right.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The wife and I watched it on Amazon, we liked it. Like Judy Garland, the vampires sucked the life right out of him, tragic ending.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I enjoyed watching it also and thought it was good. The actor who played Elvis was excellent. Very talented and with make-up resembled Elvis closely enough.

My wife and I discussed the many talented stars who suffered similar fates. Hank Williams, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Judy Garland, Kirk Cobain, the list goes on.. Alcohol and pills.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Samb

Post by Samb »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:26 pm I enjoyed watching it also and thought it was good. The actor who played Elvis was excellent. Very talented and with make-up resembled Elvis closely enough.

My wife and I discussed the many talented stars who suffered similar fates. Hank Williams, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Judy Garland, Kirk Cobain, the list goes on.. Alcohol and pills.

Ken
That combo has killed quite a few people that aren't famous too. Best not to mix them, better to just not use either one but that ain't gonna happen.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've watched it twice already and plan to watch it again while Crave is still showing it. I was born in the early 50's and as a result became a huge Elvis fan. I thoroughly enjoyed Austin Butler as Elvis, and it wasn't until the 2nd time I watched it that I realized Tom Hanks was Colonel Parker. How did they make his face fat like that? I'm also wondering if Austin did the singing for some or all of the songs? I think what I liked the most was the fact that they didn't dress it all up as just another carefree Elvis movie, but rather dove into his personal life and loves as well as dedicating much of the movie to showing us how Parker robbed Elvis blind in order to support his gambling habit. There were times when I thought Parker thought he was really doing it all for Elvis and being selfless, but his greedy side always prevailed. Just an all-round excellent portrayal of a man who changed history, while along the way gained the love of millions of people! Tom Hanks Oscar comin' up! 8)
8)
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think it is not uncommon for someone that is incredibly selfish & greedy to fool themselves into thinking they are doing it for a "good reason". They come up with all sorts of ways to justify their terrible behavior.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 pm I think it is not uncommon for someone that is incredibly selfish & greedy to fool themselves into thinking they are doing it for a "good reason". They come up with all sorts of ways to justify their terrible behavior.
Probably right in some cases but I tend to believe naivete and trust of selfish and greedy managers is just as prevalent. Some of those immensely talented people, many raised dirt-poor and poorly educated, but obviously child prodigies who never had any formal musical education, were taken advantage of and used by industry-wise "managers". Managers who signed them to contracts working them nightly at venues near-impossibe to reach in a timely manner especially given the transportation available at the time. And giving them "pills" prescribed by quack "doctors" to keep them going.

Some may have been worldly enough to know better. Others were just naive kids who got suckered into believing an older greedy manager, until it was too late. It's not difficult for me to remember how gullible I was at even 23-25 years old. Fortunately I didn't have an immense talent someone was trying to exploit either. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
wlf

Post by wlf »

I agree with you all,Austin Butler was great as Elvis, but I didn't like the flow of the movie. Pricilla Presley never had animosity towards the Colonel for some reason. The Colonel said he was from here in Huntington WV , why, I don't know .
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”