Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by Boji »

Last night I opened this bottle that I bought a few days ago.
Old Tub, it’s a Jim Beam product, bottled in bond, 100 proof $20. Has enough bite and slightly sweet brown sugar or caramel flavor. Seemed like I found an old friend. True because I hadn’t had any JB for many years. Good stuff for $20
26861263-4A1D-4305-BF72-7B3B36372AA4.jpeg
C52046A1-B8A3-4531-9E11-5B9DDF5D3563.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:59 pm Last night I opened this bottle that I bought a few days ago.
Old Tub, it’s a Jim Beam product, bottled in bond, 100 proof $20. Has enough bite and slightly sweet brown sugar or caramel flavor. Seemed like I found an old friend. True because I hadn’t had any JB for many years. Good stuff for $20
26861263-4A1D-4305-BF72-7B3B36372AA4.jpeg
C52046A1-B8A3-4531-9E11-5B9DDF5D3563.jpeg
If Jim Beam made it, it has to be good. I’m gonna add it to my must try list.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Oscar, i made a similar post on the Facebook group where all the snobs hang out. Got a lot of positive reactions to the Old Tub. Mentioned that I’d been drinking bourbon before many of them were even born! True fact, I checked out their profiles. My signature line on a gun forum I frequent is Super Snoper.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:01 am Oscar, i made a similar post on the Facebook group where all the snobs hang out. Got a lot of positive reactions to the Old Tub. Mentioned that I’d been drinking bourbon before many of them were even born! True fact, I checked out their profiles. My signature line on a gun forum I frequent is Super Snoper.

It’s about how good it is, not a contest about how much you spend. When will the snobs realize that nobody is impressed. These are the same people that pay $500 for designer jeans.
Smart people find great quality at more reasonable prices. Back when we had our go to brands. Now, we have so many to choose from. I like to try different ones because sometimes you find a gem.
My favorite is still Eagle Rare, even above Angels Envy. Both are excellent but it’s my personal preference.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We have a Binny's Beverage Depot here in town now. Called 'em up this morning and asked if they had any "Old Tub". Yep. Said it don't last long when they get it in so I drove out and picked up a bottle. $26 in this neck of the woods. I'll try it later.
Attachments
Old Tub.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:18 pm $26 in this neck of the woods. I'll try it later.
Illinois liquor tax is around 4 times that of Iowa.

Down on my end of the state, people drive to Mo or Ky to save on gas, alcohol, tobacco etc. Could you save money by driving to Janesville?
Ike
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’m going back after work to buy more
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

My birthday is coming up. I plan to have Rare Eagle bourbon and my favorite cigar of all time. A Carlitos Fuente Opus X. It doesn’t get any better than that. Looking forward to it.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:28 pm Could you save money by driving to Janesville?
Not with gas at this price. My little truck doesn't get very good mileage. Thanks for the idea.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Samb

Post by Samb »

philco wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:35 am Boji your mention of the Jim Beam decanters took me back. When I was in high school, I lived with my grandmother. She had received several of those fancy Jim Beam decanters from my aunt after her (aunts) husband passed away. Granny used a touch of bourbon to season her Christmas custard (basically eggnog) and also to moisturize those jam cakes and fruit cakes she fixed at Christmas. The rest of the year, bourbon and all other forms of alcohol were not welcomed in her home.
Since she had several of those fancy Jim Beam bottles I knew she'd never open them. One little pint bottle of Old Granddad was all she needed for her purposes. I managed to steam loose the seal on a few of those fancy Jim Beam bottles one by one, drain their contents sip by sip, then replace the seal after filling the bottle back up with water. Somewhere today there are several of those fancy Jim Beam decanters still with an "unbroken" seal that are full of tap water. :wink:
Pretty slick thinking!
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’m a traitor, tonight’s choice was was good old Number 7 and Coke. Have enjoyed it for years and you can get it anywhere from a dive biker bar to a top end restaurant. Cheers!
I mix it about 50-50.
Attachments
9E120B42-6D5E-49E4-9795-E799EDD4566E.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:24 am I’m a traitor, tonight’s choice was was good old Number 7 and Coke. Have enjoyed it for years and you can get it anywhere from a dive biker bar to a top end restaurant. Cheers!
I mix it about 50-50.
Boji: Nothing wrong with JD. I sometimes use it in mixed drinks also. Reasonable price, sold everywhere etc. but I don’t
care for it much straight up. Before Covid closed it down I went to a cigar lounge/bar where they made a terrific Old Fashioned. Sorry that they closed for good. That bartender was excellent at mixed drinks.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tried the Old Tub. It's fine. I don't have a very discerning palate. Guess I'll just stick to the cheap stuff since it all tastes the same to me. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Went to the liquor store supreme yesterday looking for Old Tub. They had every Jim Beam product except that one. I’ll keep looking for it.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:18 pm We have a Binny's Beverage Depot here in town now. Called 'em up this morning and asked if they had any "Old Tub". Yep. Said it don't last long when they get it in so I drove out and picked up a bottle. $26 in this neck of the woods. I'll try it later.
Haven’t found Old Tub where I live. Maybe regional. They did have a Jim Beam called Devil’s Cut. I bought a bottle. Will give an opinion after I taste it.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

The Old Tub bottle says limited edition in the fine print.
I hit 3 liquor stores and Costco this weekend when I was in MN at my daughter’s. But no Eagle Rare ::shrug::
Do have several new ones to try.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:44 pm The Old Tub bottle says limited edition in the fine print.
I hit 3 liquor stores and Costco this weekend when I was in MN at my daughter’s. But no Eagle Rare ::shrug::
Do have several new ones to try.
Eagle Rare is hard to find. Many stores charge way more than MSRP. If you find it from $40-50 or so, definitely try it.
Im not getting commission for recommending it. I tell people to try it because it’s made by Buffalo Trace, same company that makes Pappy Van Winkle and Makers Mark and Wellers. They make INCREDIBLE bourbon whiskey.
If you can’t find it locally, this site sells it online at list price plus shipping.
I haven’t bought any online so I can’t vouch for this site. I get mine locally when they get some in. I know you will love it as it’s smooth as silk with terrific flavor.
https://buybourbonwhiskey.com/shop/eagle-rare/
I’m not giving up on Old Tub. I’ll let you know how Devils Cut is when I try it.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Prices from Costco:
Jack Daniels #7. 1.75 l. 33.89
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked 42.99
Local the Jack is 58.00
The Woodford is 60.00
That’s a LOT of difference.
I didn’t Need the Jack but at that much price difference it was a must buy for me. I do like my Jack & Coke.
I go on vacation next week so will continue the search for Eagle Rare.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

"Last Night I Broke The Seal On A Jim Beam Decanter That Looked Like Elvis"..............Yabba Dabba Doo The King Is Gone And So Are You"

An old George Jones tune that didn't get a ton of airplay. This thread brought it to mind, Funny song. J.O'.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

My brother in-law and I got into smoking cigars and that raced into drinking bourbon. I no longer smoke, and he smoked himself....but
when I drink bourbon (I usually drink Scothch, Grant's) I like Four Roses, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace and the high priced Woodford Rezerve!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Had my first taste of Devils Cut bourbon last night. I knew it would have to be good as it’s made by Jim Beam. Very smooth and with a rich flavor. According to the label, it is made with the liquor that has soaked into the wood of the barrel that they are extracting, blending and bottling. Interesting but I can’t imagine how they do that. Anyway, I believe it’s an excellent drink, at a reasonable price. Being it has a stronger than average flavor, I think bourbon lovers will appreciate it.
I hate the snob reviews with descriptions like “ woodsy with vanilla overtones”.
Started with wine, now liquor and cigars.
I’d love to tell one of these people that write this kind of garbage where they can stick the cigar, lit end first. Just drink the ones you enjoy and forget about the snobby descriptions. Cheers everyone. ::ds:: :lol: ::ds::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’m with you on the reviews with the crazy descriptions.
My reviews would be simple with words such as smooth, slightly sweet, full flavor, if I don’t like it, rough, too much burn.
I have 4 new ones to try. Now to decide which one first. Probably the Woodford to see if it lives up to the hype. At $60 I would pass but for under $40 figured I’d buy.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:14 pm I’m with you on the reviews with the crazy descriptions.
My reviews would be simple with words such as smooth, slightly sweet, full flavor, if I don’t like it, rough, too much burn.
I have 4 new ones to try. Now to decide which one first. Probably the Woodford to see if it lives up to the hype. At $60 I would pass but for under $40 figured I’d buy.
Boji:
Woodford is great at $40. Not a good buy at $60 in my opinion. There are many great bourbons at $40 or less. Enjoy the Woodford !
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks for the post Jerry. I heard some buzz that they took the song off some radio services back then but I can't remember why.
In my world the "King" was George Jones. ::handshake:: J.O'.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”