Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by Ridgegrass »

Just found the answer. Hanna-Barbera didn't care for writer, Roger D. Feris's original title , "Yabba Dabba Doo" , so it was changed to "The King Is Gone" and cover stickers were put over the original record labels, making the originals more collectible, I guess. ( Thank Wikipedia for the info.) J.O'.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

The Devils Cut by Jim Beam is a bargain at $22 a fifth. I bought another one before it’s discovered by bourbon drinkers and the price skyrockets. Has a lot more bite than Eagle Rare but it has much stronger flavor. Like comparing apples to oranges.
Eagle Rare is typically limited to one per customer. I know a store owner and I bought a case. Not because I drink a lot but because it’s very hard to come by and I got a price break at $35 a bottle. Sold a couple to a friend of mine.
I plan to get a case of Devils Cut when I can. Both are straight up bourbon. It would be criminal to mix such exceptional bourbons. I use mediocre ones for mixing. The store I shop is huge with an excellent selection. I asked about IW Harper, and was told that they haven’t seen it in years but they will check on it and try to get me some. Still looking for Old Tub. The store is checking on it for me.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I just opened the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Did not disappoint, lives up to the hype. I can enjoy it neat , smooth, flavorful with just enough bite. I probably wouldn’t pay $60 for it but for under $40 (Costco) it’s a buy.
I will enjoy a bit more after supper.
556DFEE0-8860-4BE9-B3AF-5475E1C68D04.jpeg
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I wonder if Sam's Club sells that (Woodford).

I just looked and they do.(on line at least) $30.98.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:52 am I wonder if Sam's Club sells that (Woodford).

Jerry, that’s an incredible price.
I only know of one Sam’s Club that sells liquor. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the information. I wouldn’t have thought it would be that much cheaper at Sam’s. There’s a Sam’s that sells liquor about 15 miles away from my house. I know where I’ll be going this week.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:52 am I wonder if Sam's Club sells that (Woodford).

I only know of one Sam’s Club that sells liquor. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the information. I wouldn’t have thought it would be that much cheaper at Sam’s. There’s a Sam’s that sells liquor about 15 miles away from my house. I know where I’ll be going this week.
If they don't have it on the shelves, you can order it. BTW, do you have a Sam's Club membership? Just being nosy.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:29 am
OSCAR wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 am

If they don't have it on the shelves, you can order it. BTW, do you have a Sam's Club membership? Just being nosy.
Jerry, I don’t have a membership but I can buy liquor at the Sam’s. The liquor sales are in a detached but separate building with a separate entrance. I believe it is because of state law. Same type setup in a liquor store I go to. They sell growlers but separate entrance than liquor store it’s part of. Weird. But I’ve bought liquor at Sam’s without being a member. It’s been a long time though. It’s about 15 miles from my house. Not sure if it’s discounted for non members but it doesn’t pay for me to join. I don’t buy food in bulk.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji, I did some research and now I know why I can’t find IW Harper bourbon. It’s a shame. It is a great bourbon.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Oscar, just a little FYI, when Diageo bought out Harper, Heaven Hill somehow got the rights to the Bernhein name. HH now produces a wheated whiskey with that name. I’ve had it, must not have impressed me cuz I didn’t buy more.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:24 am Oscar, just a little FYI, when Diageo bought out Harper, Heaven Hill somehow got the rights to the Bernhein name. HH now produces a wheated whiskey with that name. I’ve had it, must not have impressed me cuz I didn’t buy more.
Seems that large companies are buying out the small distilleries. Just like other products. There are fewer and fewer family owned businesses. Sazerac has bought out many, including Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace etc.
Four Roses was excellent until Seagrams bought it and turned it to kerosene. It’s been sold again and now is supposed to be excellent. Any of the longer aged Four Roses are extremely high dollar products.
I haven’t tried them and doubt that I will.
I miss the days when there were mostly family owned businesses and not just for liquor. I go out of my way to shop local when I can.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Pretty much everything produced by Sazerac/Buffalo Trace is allocated and sells for crazy prices on the secondary market. I tried to sign up for a tour/tasting but were all sold out. I’ve seen pictures of people standing in line waiting for the distillery store to open in hopes of getting one bottle at retail price. That’s a hard pass for me.
There are many craft distilleries all over the country, some will make great products.
I’ve never had any desire to try Four Roses.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A history of Four Roses Bourbon -- https://fourrosesbourbon.com/heritage/

In 1884, Paul Jones Jr, moved his thriving business to Louisville, Kentucky, where he opened an office in a section of historic Main Street called, “Whiskey Row”. Four years later, he trademarked the name Four Roses, claiming production and sales back to the 1860s. In 1922, the Paul Jones Company purchased the Frankfort Distilling Company.

In 1943, Seagram purchased the Frankfort Distilling Co. primarily to acquire the most noted and recognized name in the business at that time – Four Roses’ Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Even though Four Roses was the top selling Bourbon in the U.S. in the 30s, 40s and 50s, Seagram made the decision to discontinue the sale of Four Roses’ Kentucky Straight Bourbon in the United States, and Four Roses was moved to the rapidly growing European and Asian markets where it quickly became and still is a top-selling Bourbon in both Europe and Japan today.

In 1966, a young man named Jim Rutledge, who would later become one of the world’s most legendary Master Distillers, joined Seagram in the Louisville Plant’s Research and Development Department. In 1975, he was transferred to Corporate Headquarters in New York until 1992, when Jim asked to return home to Kentucky to help with the Four Roses brand. In 1995, he replaced Ova Haney as the Master Distiller. For the next several years, Jim worked tirelessly to return the Four Roses brand back to the States – a dream that would become a reality in hands of a new owner.

In February 2002, the Kirin Brewery Company, Ltd. purchased the Four Roses Bourbon brand trademark and production facilities. The new acquisition was named the Four Roses Distillery LLC. Shortly thereafter, Four Roses was once again sold in the United States and quickly earned the reputation of being one of the most notable names in the Bourbon world.

In August 2015, Jim Rutledge retired as Master Distiller and Brent Elliott, who had worked alongside Jim for 10 years, became the company’s new Master Distiller.

The people who work at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY and at our warehouse facility in Cox’s Creek, KY continue the legacy that began with Paul Jones in 1888. Their passion for quality and pride in handcrafting an award winning Bourbon is evident in the smooth, mellow taste that has become the signature of the Four Roses Brand.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Wasn’t life easier years ago ? Cheaper prices, not limited, appropriated or both ?
A lot of it is regional. They don’t sell Old Tub here. I get Eagle Rare here at two stores when they get it. One store is $40 and the other is $50. It’s a Sazerac brand, limited and appropriated. Some stores ask $150 (no way would I spend that). In states it’s not sold in, it goes as high as $350!
It’s NOT just bourbon that uses this marketing ploy. GEC does also, which is why I don’t buy their knives. If people used common sense, and quit over spending, prices would have to come down. Scarcity doesn’t make a product better or more valuable. If I had to spend more on my Eagle Rare, it would remain on the shelf.
I did find Weller today but passed on this excellent bourbon. They were charging $98 a bottle. Not only overpriced but I remember buying it years ago. It was bottom shelf then and dirt cheap. Way underpriced then but bourbon drinkers discovered it, and now it’s outrageously expensive. Oh well…..
Lesson learned: if I find a reasonably priced one that I like, I buy in quantity. It’s not likely to go down in price so I did buy a case of Devils Cut today. They even gave me a break in price since I got a full case.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not really a drinker these days, I will consume about six Margaritas a year, all in Mexican restaurants and I don’t keep liquor in the house.

In the 70’s snd 80’s, I drank Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey or Southern Comfort. Problem was, I would carry an unopened bottle to a party, drink it all and then start on other people’s bottles.

And I was rarely drunk, but the effects I did experience were long lasting, meaning I metabolized alcohol slowly and it hung around in my system for a while.

My Dad and all his family were alcoholics.

I decided I wasn’t going to go that route, so I severely curtailed my ETOH intake.

Not a teetotaler, but I rarely drink more than one ounce of alcohol at a time.

That being said. When I was at the Lexington Knife Show, I met a man that spent as much time on a distillery tour as he did at the show.

The last time we spoke, he told me about Buffalo Trace and gifted me a miniature of it.

After returning home and while watching an Alabama football game, I drank it on ice.

It was very good and I didn’t even get a buzz out of it.

If I kept alcohol in my home, I would buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:57 am Not really a drinker these days, I will consume about six Margaritas a year, all in Mexican restaurants and I don’t keep liquor in the house.
Or
In the 70’s snd 80’s, I drank Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey or Southern Comfort. Problem was, I would carry an unopened bottle to a party, drink it all and then start on other people’s bottles.

And I was rarely drunk, but the effects I did experience were long lasting, meaning I metabolized alcohol slowly and it hung around in my system for a while.

My Dad and all his family were alcoholics.

I decided I wasn’t going to go that route, so I severely curtailed my ETOH intake.

Not a teetotaler, but I rarely drink more than one ounce of alcohol at a time.

That being said. When I was at the Lexington Knife Show, I met a man that spent as much time on a distillery tour as he did at the show.

The last time we spoke, he told me about Buffalo Trace and gifted me a miniature of it.

After returning home and while watching an Alabama football game, I drank it on ice.

It was very good and I didn’t even get a buzz out of it.

If I kept alcohol in my home, I would buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace.
Everyone’s alcohol journey is different. In my misspent youth I drank many a bottle of Jim Beam right out of the bottle (like Janis Joplin & Southern Comfort). Next phase was beer, when we went it was usually with a beer distributor and his wife and the beer was free. Next was rum and coke, I always checked to see if the bar had a full bottle of Barcardi. Then on to wine, both cheap and expensive.
Not sure what got me to Jack Daniels and that lead to bourbon. Now I drink very moderately, sometimes a glass of wine with supper or a bourbon nightcap.
I have never had Buffalo Trace but it is very popular and allocated distribution.
Good for you for realizing your family history of alcoholism and limiting yourself.
I know if I had continued drinking like I did in my 20’s to about age 40 I’d likely be dead or at best not able to get a driver’s license.
Theo

Post by Theo »

Living in Louisville, Kentucky, been to a few tours of the distilleries. I used to like Four Roses but not anymore. Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey were my go to bourbons. Then about 4 or 5 years I switched over to Angels Envy after a tour through there distillery it’s around 45 a bottle, but these last me two to three months.
Attachments
18F616BB-0633-43BC-948C-CAF6E30058CE.jpeg
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Theo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:43 am Living in Louisville, Kentucky, been to a few tours of the distilleries. I used to like Four Roses but not anymore. Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey were my go to bourbons. Then about 4 or 5 years I switched over to Angels Envy after a tour through there distillery it’s around 45 a bottle, but these last me two to three months.
Theo,
Bourbon, like everything else is a subjective preference. BUT I’ve never came across anyone that didn’t love Angel’s Envy. It’s in my top three. If you pay $45 a bottle, you are doing good. It’s $50-60 where I live.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Theo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:43 am Living in Louisville, Kentucky, been to a few tours of the distilleries. I used to like Four Roses but not anymore. Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey were my go to bourbons. Then about 4 or 5 years I switched over to Angels Envy after a tour through there distillery it’s around 45 a bottle, but these last me two to three months.
I’ll confess that I first bought Angels Envy cuz the bottle was cool but I keep it on hand. Local Walmart carries it for around $45. Good stuff.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Boji wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:00 pm Angels Envy Local Walmart carries it for around $45. Good stuff.
Walmart here claims they have it for that price. I usually drink the bottom shelf stuff because of the price and I can't tell the difference between $10 bourbon and $100 bourbon but I may have to splurge and give it a try.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I used to really enjoy a John Collins, a mixed drink made with bourbon and Collins Mix.

Very tasty.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Theo

Post by Theo »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:53 pm
Theo,
Bourbon, like everything else is a subjective preference. BUT I’ve never came across anyone that didn’t love Angel’s Envy. It’s in my top three. If you pay $45 a bottle, you are doing good. It’s $50-60 where I live.
Still not to bad, I went to New Mexico to visit my daughter 4 years ago, she loves it, 65 dollars back then , it is incredibly tasty . Have a good one buddy….

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Theo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:43 am
Theo,
Still not to bad, I went to New Mexico to visit my daughter 4 years ago, she loves it, 65 dollars back then , it is incredibly tasty . Have a good one buddy….
Theo, if you come across it, try Eagle Rare 10 year. List price is $40 but most stores charge more. If you see it for $40-50, it’s a definite winner. Made by Buffalo Trace and very smooth. One store I went to asked $150. I told them what they could do with it. Not a creative answer but they got the message. Cheers
Angels Envy is worth what I pay but I wish I could find it for $45. They should standardize prices across the country but that’s never gonna happen.
Theo

Post by Theo »

OSCAR wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:19 am
Theo wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:43 am
Theo,
Theo, if you come across it, try Eagle Rare 10 year. List price is $40 but most stores charge more. If you see it for $40-50, it’s a definite winner. Made by Buffalo Trace and very smooth. One store I went to asked $150. I told them what they could do with it. Not a creative answer but they got the message. Cheers
Angels Envy is worth what I pay but I wish I could find it for $45. They should standardize prices across the country but that’s never gonna happen.
Thanks for the info, I will go by my liquor store and check it out. I don’t mind paying alittle more, but not going into the Van Winkles prices, have you seen the crazy prices on that, insane paying that, but that’s a different tax bracket for us. Hey have a good one and be safe

Theo

Post by Theo »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:40 pm
Boji wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:00 pm Angels Envy Local Walmart carries it for around $45. Good stuff.
Walmart here claims they have it for that price. I usually drink the bottom shelf stuff because of the price and I can't tell the difference between $10 bourbon and $100 bourbon but I may have to splurge and give it a try.
You will have to splurge one time on the Angels Envy, you will enjoy it. I can certainly tell the difference between 10 dollars and 100 dollars… buddy of mine brought a 10 dollar bourbon, it shouldn’t even have the bourbon name on it. “Old Barton’s” that was the nastiest crap I ever tasted. I sent him back to get some proper bourbon. Have a good day and be safe

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

You guys are killing me.

My dad used to buy Cabin Home Corn Liquor from The State Store.

We don’t have private sales of hard liquor here, only the State of Alabama makes money on booze.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”