Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by Boji »

Iowa had the state liquor stores until 1986. Up to 1963 you had a liquor book and everything you purchased was recorded in it. When you went in the liquor store it was like going to visit someone in jail. The clerk was in a metal cage. The different liquors were listed on a menu board, no looking at bottles. Sometime after that the state had open display so you could choose your bottle and check out like we do now.
Liquor by the drink came in 1963, prior to that was set-ups and key clubs. Sunday sales started in 1986.
Every state has had different laws over the years.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Had to go out & get more losing Lottery tickets so I stopped by Sam's Club. $51.23 including tax. Out of character for me to spend that much on alcohol but here it is. I'll try it later in the day.
Attachments
Angels Envy.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:34 pm Had to go out & get more losing Lottery tickets so I stopped by Sam's Club. $51.23 including tax. Out of character for me to spend that much on alcohol but here it is. I'll try it later in the day.
Jerry, that’s an exceptional bourbon. Enjoy it !!! Sometimes it’s good to treat yourself.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Maker’s Mark distillery tour today. Good knowledgeable tour guide. But Jack Daniels tour a few years ago was better, more history to the brand.
I purchased a bottle of the 2022 wood finished #1, had read great reviews on it.
Here is what the tasting was
05DBF46B-118E-4F51-9856-790E1D51B0FC.jpeg
Heaven Hill tomorrow
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Boji welcome to the Bluegrass state. I hope your visit here is enjoyable and memorable. Cheers! 8)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 am Maker’s Mark distillery tour today. Good knowledgeable tour guide. But Jack Daniels tour a few years ago was better, more history to the brand.
I purchased a bottle of the 2022 wood finished #1, had read great reviews on it.
Here is what the tasting was
05DBF46B-118E-4F51-9856-790E1D51B0FC.jpeg

Heaven Hill tomorrow
You are having my DREAM VACATION ………
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Yesterday’s tasting at Heaven Hill. Didn’t do a full tour but the guide doing the tasting provided a lot of history and information.
This was the tasting lineup. The one we were allowed to purchase was the EC Toasted, good but not my favorite.
My favorite was the Heaven Hill BIB. All are allocated ::td::
E2E56212-7162-4DEC-9CD9-D78440A93252.jpeg
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Later supper time, downtown Bardstown, restaurant named The Rickhouse. I have the address, go to it, signs say museum. What the?!? No cars in the parking area. Then I see cars going to the back side of the building. Still no sign I had to ask, door past that bench. Sure enough, it was like what I would imagine a 1920’s speakeasy. Entered directly into the low ceiling bar area. Was asked if I had a reservation, no I didn’t. I asked if I could eat at the bar. Yes, that was fine.
Here is why, they claim to have 150 bourbons. At least 95% of the bottles are different bourbons. They did have a printed list but the bar tender said it wasn’t up to date. I look up at the bottles closest and there it was! The one I liked from the tasting so had a pour while I ordered supper, and old fashioned with my meal.
My visit to KY was way too short. I shall return!!
1144D3CB-65BD-4E3E-80F8-7A1B7D6240F8.jpeg
89A36626-CC22-40C8-BE3C-457D998A6D3A.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:09 am Later supper time, downtown Bardstown, restaurant named The Rickhouse. I have the address, go to it, signs say museum. What the?!? No cars in the parking area. Then I see cars going to the back side of the building. Still no sign I had to ask, door past that bench. Sure enough, it was like what I would imagine a 1920’s speakeasy. Entered directly into the low ceiling bar area. Was asked if I had a reservation, no I didn’t. I asked if I could eat at the bar. Yes, that was fine.
Here is why, they claim to have 150 bourbons. At least 95% of the bottles are different bourbons. They did have a printed list but the bar tender said it wasn’t up to date. I look up at the bottles closest and there it was! The one I liked from the tasting so had a pour while I ordered supper, and old fashioned with my meal.
My visit to KY was way too short. I shall return!!
1144D3CB-65BD-4E3E-80F8-7A1B7D6240F8.jpeg89A36626-CC22-40C8-BE3C-457D998A6D3A.jpeg
Boji, I’d ask if you were having a good time but that would be a stupid question. From the description and photos, I can tell that you are. I know of a similar bar that has about 150 different single malt Scotch bottles. While I have a Scotch on rare occasions, it’s not my favorite. Bourbon is. If I visited there, I’d never leave. Which bourbon did you like best so far ?
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Kentucky’s first bourbon. Est. 1783.
I can’t believe I’ve never had this one, but plan to try it tonight. Bottled in Bond.
Attachments
D5AFD03F-12F8-4DEC-8DBB-BB64495BF69E.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I normally drink Evan Williams Black Label. It' fits my budget and it's not bad.
Attachments
image000000.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:42 pm I normally drink Evan Williams Black Label. It' fits my budget and it's not bad.
Jerry, this one is reasonable also. $32 for 1.75 liter bottle. I’ll look for the Black Label next time.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:58 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:42 pm I normally drink Evan Williams Black Label. It' fits my budget and it's not bad.
Jerry, this one is reasonable also. $32 for 1.75 liter bottle. I’ll look for the Black Label next time.
Price in my area for 1.75 liter bottle.
Evan Williams 175 Liter.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I am home! Now I need to unload my plunder. I’ll get a group picture later.
This one almost didn’t make it home with any left in it. Shared it with my host in NC.
Very, very good MM 2022 Wood Finish Series #1. I should have bought 2 at the distillery cuz I’ll never see it again.
B560252B-2E42-4950-8B14-FFE4352A0654.jpeg
0514FCE7-C14D-43CA-8564-EC68E1291BF6.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:34 pm I am home! Now I need to unload my plunder. I’ll get a group picture later.
This one almost didn’t make it home with any left in it. Shared it with my host in NC.
Very, very good MM 2022 Wood Finish Series #1. I should have bought 2 at the distillery cuz I’ll never see it again.
B560252B-2E42-4950-8B14-FFE4352A0654.jpeg0514FCE7-C14D-43CA-8564-EC68E1291BF6.jpeg
Boji, Only sold at the distillery? I’ve never seen that one for sale at any store.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:35 pm
Boji wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:34 pm I am home! Now I need to unload my plunder. I’ll get a group picture later.
B560252B-2E42-4950-8B14-FFE4352A0654.jpeg0514FCE7-C14D-43CA-8564-EC68E1291BF6.jpeg
Boji, Only sold at the distillery? I’ve never seen that one for sale at any store.
It is out in the wild but very limited and probably at secondary market price. I paid about $65.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I need to stay out of the liquor stores for a year
Thought I posted this last night but must have forgot to hit submit duh!
I wasn’t looking for the Buffalo Trace cuz I think it is over hyped plus I’ve never tasted it. But when I say it for $23 I bought 3 bottles.
2DF5AEB5-AC95-4802-8C6A-4BEA51F22435.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:14 pm I need to stay out of the liquor stores for a year
Thought I posted this last night but must have forgot to hit submit duh!
I wasn’t looking for the Buffalo Trace cuz I think it is over hyped plus I’ve never tasted it. But when I say it for $23 I bought 3 bottles.
2DF5AEB5-AC95-4802-8C6A-4BEA51F22435.jpeg
Boji,
An awesome selection for certain. You have a variety of excellent bourbons. Yes Buffalo Trace is hyped but it’s also very good. I’m sure you will like it. It’s one of Sazerac brand.
Now, I’m inspired to tour some distilleries.
Glad you had a great trip, and found some great bourbons in your travels.
I’m having an Evan Williams now. Not a bad drink at a great price.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

No posts here in weeks. Did everyone join AA ? Having a cigar and an Eagle Rare now.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

AA? Not a chance, have some new stuff, will be back later tonight.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:45 pm AA? Not a chance, have some new stuff, will be back later tonight.
::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Updates:
Tried the Buffalo Trace, not impressed, glad I only paid $23 for it. Will give my SIL one of the bottles for Christmas.
If you are ever wondering what any liquor should cost, there is a smartphone app called “Booze App” that give the retail prices and secondary market prices on hundreds of liquors.
I should have checked before I bought this cuz I way overpaid.
23C692A0-C9A4-484A-BCAA-3BBED55D8D1D.jpeg
On a brighter note, remember the Maker’s that I showed the empty bottle and said I’d never see another one? FOUND!!
My son called me from the liquor store in Branson about these. Both of 2022 Wood Finishing series at low retail. Had him buy one of each. I won’t get them until his next visit, probably spring
FBCFA97C-D0B5-41C5-8C96-FCFB999C068D.jpeg
I need to finish some of open bottles before I try any more of the new stuff. My kitchen counter looks like a bar back!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:10 am Updates:
Tried the Buffalo Trace, not impressed, glad I only paid $23 for it. Will give my SIL one of the bottles for Christmas.
If you are ever wondering what any liquor should cost, there is a smartphone app called “Booze App” that give the retail prices and secondary market prices on hundreds of liquors.
I should have checked before I bought this cuz I way overpaid.
23C692A0-C9A4-484A-BCAA-3BBED55D8D1D.jpeg

On a brighter note, remember the Maker’s that I showed the empty bottle and said I’d never see another one? FOUND!!
My son called me from the liquor store in Branson about these. Both of 2022 Wood Finishing series at low retail. Had him buy one of each. I won’t get them until his next visit, probably spring
FBCFA97C-D0B5-41C5-8C96-FCFB999C068D.jpeg

I need to finish some of open bottles before I try any more of the new stuff. My kitchen counter looks like a bar back!
I need to get that app ! Also, if I’m not mistaken, both Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace are Sazerac products. That company is developing a monopoly on bourbon. I do like to try different ones even though I have a few favorites. You don’t know if one is good unless you try it. I tried one called Whistle Pig. Reasonable price and very good. I’d definitely add it to my rotation.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Maker’s is owned by Beam Suntory, parent company of Jim Beam
Speaking of Sazerac, the little dude at the local liquor store figured I needed to try the Rye. Got a little 200ml bottle for $8. Now I need to muddle up an Old Fashioned.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:47 am Maker’s is owned by Beam Suntory, parent company of Jim Beam
Speaking of Sazerac, the little dude at the local liquor store figured I needed to try the Rye. Got a little 200ml bottle for $8. Now I need to muddle up an Old Fashioned.
Old Fashioneds are awesome but I found them hard to make well. There was a bar I frequented, now closed, where they made a terrific Old Fashioned. I’ve tried, and mine were decent but not as good as a great mixologist can make them

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”