Motorcycles

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Railsplitter »

Madmarco wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:04 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:37 pm Last bike I owned was this 2004 Road King. Sold it in 2013 and still miss it occasionally.
Passenger seat removed.jpg

And my first Harley. A 1992 1200 Sportster. Photo taken by my friend's wife from the back seat of his bike.
Harley slide show 001.jpg
I not only like your taste in knives, Rick, but now your taste in bikes.
I wanted a Sporty so badly at one point I actually thought of saving up for one but never did.
In the picture it appears you have colors on, might I ask what your patch reads? ::shrug:: Thx!
8)
It’s interesting that you mentioned saving up for a Sporty because that is exactly what I did to get that bike. I worked a second job at a gas station/convenience store for 8 months.

I got that job solely because I wanted a Harley. Didn’t really need the money otherwise. I put every penny in the bank and worked overtime at my primary job until I saved up enough for a hefty down payment. It was my first loan so I had to have a large down payment so the bank wouldn’t have anything to lose. I wanted to make sure I got that loan.

They aren’t colors but I did have a large patch on the back. It was a HOG patch (Harley Owners Group) because I was a member of the local HOG chapter.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for taking the time to explain/type that all, Rick. ::handshake::
How you explained your method to save the money is exactly what I'd have done, except my main job WAS as the Manager of the very first Texaco gas bar/car wash in Winnipeg, and it had been offered to my Dad who was already the lessee for one of their other service stations, so he sent me over to the new place as the Manager and began an advertising campaign about where to go for all your gasoline, service, and wash needs. With all the responsibilities I already had at the new location it was impossible for me to get a second job, so I made an attempt from only my existing wages to start saving for a Sporty, but with a wife and 1yr. old the savings quickly went elsewhere.
I often wonder had I been able to buy the bigger more powerful Sportster if it wouldn't have slowed me down a little and made me more responsible when riding, instead of just blasting away top speed every time I got on the Triumph. Probably not though, the problem never was the bikes, it was always me! ::facepalm::
I was praying your patch didn't read, "Hell's Angels"! lol!
8)
8)
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

...A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. 1982 or so.

Me with my 1979 Honda CR 250 Elsinore. Sold it in 1984 to pay for a semester of college. It was the last of 8 motorcycles I had between the ages of 6 and 22 - all dirt bikes (my parents rode dirt bikes too.) We never rode on the street.
Attachments
Mike at the Flying P Ranch 2.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Great story, Mike!
It's fortunate that your choice of bikes kept you off the busy and dangerous streets, yet you still got to experience the thrill of riding a bike. I wish I'd been so lucky! lol!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

A friend of ours just restored a Bonneville 650. He put 10 coats of paint on the tank! It looked better than new. I wanted it sooo badly! But I flipped my Joanie off the back of a Matchless back in '72 and I knew she'd never get on it. He sold it for $9K. The Matchless was a 500 single that I stretched out for hill climbs. She was a great machine. Marco, I was a Triumph addict. My fastest was a TT. Back then that was moving. Have you seen the new Triumphs? They are unreal fast. When I look at the kids and adults cruising along with cell phones in their faces I think maybe I'm better off on the couch with my knives. O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It's really odd, John, I was excited when I heard that Triumph would be making their bikes again, even though my riding days are over! ::shrug::
The first thing I did was look them up online to see how they look, so yes, I've seen the new Triumphs if only in pictures.
In the Switchblade forum under "Roy's Italian Switchblades", Roy posted a picture of a 2018 model he had highly modified, and although the picture is in the distance you can still make out it's gorgeous profile.
I totally agree with you that the safest place nowadays is at home with our knives, cuz the folks on bikes these days seem to have even less respect for their vulnerability factor than I did back in 1975. I can't even wrap my mind around riding a Scoot and using a phone at the same time, no respect for sure!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I was thinking of the cell phone addicts in the cars. :D Joan and I call them, "Robots". O'.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Of course, John. I got so wrapped-up with irresponsible bike riders I totally forgot about all the "Robots" in cars, who are the original offenders and who started the whole driving/phone controversy in the first place. ::facepalm::
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Unk wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:12 am ...A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. 1982 or so.

Me with my 1979 Honda CR 250 Elsinore. Sold it in 1984 to pay for a semester of college. It was the last of 8 motorcycles I had between the ages of 6 and 22 - all dirt bikes (my parents rode dirt bikes too.) We never rode on the street.

My brother traded firewood for one of them, but it never paid out and the owner is deceased now. Who knows where the bike is now. ::shrug:: The owner used to sleep at the local watering hole bar.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

He might not really be deceased, John! ::idea::
Did you check the local watering hole; ::shrug:: he maybe just sleeping! ::zzz::
::rotflol::
8)
8)
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

2006 FXDi
20230529_092701.jpg
1961 DuoGlide
duo_in_the_shade (1).jpg
1997 Kawasaki Concours zg1000
IMG_3236.jpeg
1980 KZ1000A4
kz1000a4_1.jpg
1986 FXST Softail Standard
86_fxst_standard.jpg
1992 FXSTS Springer
92_springer_fxsts.jpg
1999 FXST Standard and the pan before I refurbished it.
fxst_and_pan2.jpg
2015 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
IMG_20170521_174627034.jpg
The pan when I was putting it back together.
pan_lift_rigt.jpg
Andy
South Central Tennessee
Retired from Caterpillar Inc.
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Andy I love that pan. The best engine Harley ever built. ::tu:: ::tu::
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

Thanks Bill.

It was a smooth ride for sure, especially with the stock pogo seat.

I took it down to get the paint done, converted it to 12v and new seals etc.

I sold it to a mailman in a southeast Houston suburb.
Andy
South Central Tennessee
Retired from Caterpillar Inc.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Although I haven't ridden a bike on the street in many years(1974 to be precise), I still enjoy painting them. Here are pics of one I painted & another that belonged to my great uncle.The 1928 H-D Model JD competed in the 2012 motorcycle cannonball run from Newbergh NY to San Francisco CA. Art placed 11th out nf 71 entries. It was won by a 1912 Henderson 4!The pic of my great uncle & his 1910 Indian was taken in Pittsford VT in 1920 after he & his wife rode from there to St. Augustine FL & back. The trip(one way) took 3 weeks(!) and they had TEN flat tires!
Attachments
IMG_8573.edit1.jpg
IMG_8572.edit2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very cool stuff, Ray!
Nothing like a road trip on a bike to lift your spirits, but 10 flats would put a bit of a damper on that!
What the heck though, one can always use a break from all the vibrating!
8)
8)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Here's a Matchless like mine. It was black when I got it and I painted the tank orange, very chic in 1970. It was a strong runner. Wish I'd kept it. The old Brit's are bringing nice money now. O'.
Attachments
IMG_5607.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice Scoot, J.O'.! ::tu::
They're making Triumphs again, but as you say an older model commands big money these days, to say nothing about BSA's, Norton's, or Royal Enfield's.
NOTHING made now can compare with those old beauties, IMO!
8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great thread, enjoying the show! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

Had a green Honda back in H.S. It was fun to ride but we lived on a sand street & there were a lot of sand roads & strees in FL so ya had to be careful riding on them. ::nod::

There is a new motorcycle shop in the town I drive through to work each day. The guy restores & sells Suzuki old timers from the 70's. Beautiful! ::nod:: He's got some Suzuki GT 750 Water Buffalos. Man they look nice!!! :shock: I'm affraid to stop & ask what they cost. Could get myself in debt real quick. It's easy getting in, but it's hard getting out. ::nod:: I checked the prices online & they normally sell over here for about (average) €10,000 in the near mint condition that they are in. ::doh::

Oh well, I'll just continue dreaming of them. ::undecided:: That's what I do best. ::doh::
Maybe when I retire I'll have some money left over for stuff like that. ::hmm:: Right now though, I gotta keep food on the table. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Those darn priorities, huh Tom, food over knives! ::facepalm:: What's next, toilet paper over knives? lol!
Seriously though, good on you for being responsible with your money, not everyone can do that! ::handshake::
8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:55 pm Those darn priorities, huh Tom, food over knives! ::facepalm:: What's next, toilet paper over knives? lol!
Seriously though, good on you for being responsible with your money, not everyone can do that! ::handshake::
8)
My pocket knives, a few Hot Wheels, a few Zippos, I feel like these 3 collections are winding down. ::hmm:: Still need a few more license plates till I have all 50 states. Then that will probably also wind down. ::hmm::
We'll see what comes next or maybe I am finished "collecting" things. I really don't know yet. ::shrug::

Of course I will still pick up some pocket knives now & then but probably only if I find good deals on them. And I would like to buy one or two more customs from other AAPK members. ::nod:: And then some day, when my kids are grown up, a Case Tadpole & a TC Barlow. ::hmm::

Sorry, this is all off topic. ::paranoid::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:58 pm He might not really be deceased, John! ::idea::
Did you check the local watering hole; ::shrug:: he maybe just sleeping! ::zzz::
::rotflol::
8)

Just saw this, Mark. You could be on to something. ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one I used to keep in the back of my 1964 Mini Cooper estate wagon. Called it, '' Despair Tire ''. Actually had to ride it nearly 5 miles once when I broke down in the middle of nowhere( a story for another time). Bought it in the late 70's from a friend who used to race them. Still sits in my shop. Made by Dandy w/ a Subaru chainsaw motor, it was timed(with me on it) at 37 mph.
Attachments
IMG_0358.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.edit1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

:lol: That's hilarious! You went 37 mph on that little thing? You cray-cray! :lol: :lol:
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

When I was a boy, I really wanted a motorcycle.

Triumph Tiger Cub was my target bike at the time..

Dad had the wisdom to see that didn’t happen.

When I was at Ft Bragg in 1968-69, guys were going to a dealership in Greensboro and buying Triumph Bonnevilles, still in the shipping crate, for $800.00 and bringing them to the Motor Pool to uncrate and prep.

Uncle Sam had the wisdom to not allow me to accumulate the necessary $800.00.

When I was involved in heart transplantation, we called motorcycles, “Donor-Cycles”, as brain dead riders were a common source of viable organs.

Now, I’m seventy-six and really have no business on a bike…..

But, given my affections for vintage things, if I lost leave of my senses and had the funds, I’d buy a Janus 450cc.

https://janusmotorcycles.com/product/halcyon-450/
Attachments
IMG_0357.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Tasky

Post by Tasky »

Just Plain Dave wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:02 pm Mine was an FJ1100. A gentleman's express.
Nothing else on the planet like the roll-on of an FJ throttle!!
IMAG0307 - Copy.jpg
WARNING: This forum post contains words known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”