November 2018 AAPK Knife Giveaway

Enter our knife drawings here.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: November 2018 AAPK Knife Giveaway

Post by bestgear »

Hi Gary - I've sent Khopesh a PM requesting his shipping information. As soon as I receive it I will forward it to you so that beautiful knife can be shipped. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Great score for the winner.
Khopesh

Post by Khopesh »

I hope I’m posting this in the right thread...

Wow! I’m still speechless having won this AWESOME knife, but I’ll give it a try.

What can I say, November is my birth month, and I just hit 50. My birthday is at the beginning of the month, so when I got the email that I won it was definitely a really pleasant belated birthday surprise gift!

I’m not what most of you (I’m speculating here) would consider a professional collector, but I do have an affinity and appreciation for a fine knife from almost any style or steel, and yes, I have enough (knives) to make my wife think I am a bit obsessed with it. (Laugh)
When I received the package and unwrapped it I was struck by the workmanship put into it, all the way down to the sheath that holds it.The spalted maple handle has different hues of what I would call pistachio green, with light sunray patterns in the background, accompanied by bold, dark, abstract/natural line patterns throughout.

The steel feels very light when in hand, and is stamped with the maker’s mark (O’Machearley) and a three leaf clover. The heel/bolster sticks out the full width of my index finger, which gives good cover of that finger in case of a hand slip.
Holding the knife in hand it seems fairly well balanced, almost like it is an extension of my arm/hand.
I can’t help but feel this knife has brought me a bit of good luck!

I really like the fact that the maker didn’t go “hog wild“ with a bunch of custom facets that I feel are unnecessary like a bunch of notches on the spine for example. They kept it simple. There are a few neat things like a race on the heal and on the pommel where the maple meets the steel, but that’s about it. He let the beauty of the material speak over customization.

The sheath is extremely sturdy, and threw me back to my Boy Scout days when we made wedge type sheaths/holsters for an achievement badge. He was very smart as to put the leather strap with snap nice and tight when the knife is in the sheath, which allows you more control and containment if actually worn on a belt out in the field. You can tell the maker was concerned with actual every day use rather than just something pretty that isn’t practical.

Again, I’m still speechless when I lay it on the table in front of me and take it in. I would love to just wear it around the property here, but it’s so nice I will just put it up and admire it for awhile!

I really enjoy all the knowledge at my fingertips here at the AAPK site, and I’m so very humbled as to be a winner of such a fine knife. I’ll keep it for my duration, and make sure it gets inherited by a deserving nephew down the line. Thank you again Gary (gosh I hope I got that right!) for such a generous donation. It could not go to a more appreciated home!!

Thanks to everyone here at the site too that’s keep things going!!

Respectfully,

Doc Stone
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doc Stone, a professional usually gets paid. An amateur does it at his own expense. So you fit right in. So proud for you to have won such a quality knife. ::tu::
Khopesh

Post by Khopesh »

Thanks dog for making me feel like one of the pack. ;)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

James Thanks again for your elegant way you have described your appreciation for a fine Knife . Has made my day ::handshake::

Return to “AAPK Knife Giveaways”