Does anybody around here collect Case Classic knives?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Now theres a good one, "A Case knife not made by Case".

Ok thats does help me alot! Thx
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hawke,

If you stick around, you'll get to know that LOTS of knives were made on contract by various companies, for various other companies. Case knives not made by Case, Buck knives not made by Buck, and many, many knives marked only by hardware companies/importers, made by others.

Sometimes sifting through the fool's gold is the best part.

Bill
ivanskee68

Case Classics

Post by ivanskee68 »

Howdy Bryan, It's been awhile since I've had contact with you. I keep looking at your knives for sale and haven't made a decision on anything yet. You know, I can say the same about you that I said about Ol' Roger. I have bought a couple of knives off of you with same happy result. The one knife that I bought from you is still one of my favorites. It is the Case 1977 Blue Scroll 5265 Folding Hunter which is awesome. You gave me great advice and terrific service. You also are a credit to the hobby of knife collecting. Or shall I say (The Passion Of Knife Collecting)
Best Regards, Ivan :D
CCBill

Case Classics

Post by CCBill »

I have picked up quite a few Classics, in the last several years and my favorite pattern is the 254 trapper. The standard run was only stag and green bone. I have 10 different ones, including 6 protos, a 1of 3 and 1 salesman's sample. I am always on the look out for ones that I don't have. If anyone would like, I will list the handle materials that I have and if you have one that I don't, I will try to swap you out of it, or try to buy it.
Ya'll pay attention to Roger 50-2050. Good man and, yes, he does know his Classics(particularly toenails).
I bought a lot of Classic protos, as well as many others, from Jim Parker. He was a good man and a good friend. He did more to further knife collecting than any one else.
Thanks for listening... Bill...
CCBill

Comparing Calssics..

Post by CCBill »

In my humble opinion, the Classics have the best fit and finish of any of the Case knives, in the last 50, or more, years. All you have to do, is hold one in your hand and look closely. For the most part, the handles fit like they should, the blades are as good as you will find and the snap is perfect.
Just for your information, the first 4 patterns were made in the W.R. Case and Sons factory. They were the 254 trapper, the 2100 saddlehorn, the 394 gunboat canoe and the 488 congress.
The rest, as far as I know, were made by Queen.
One thing you need to keep in mind, is, don't get oil on celluloid handles. The oil reacts with the celluloid and starts to break it down. You have seen knives that the part of the blade sticking up, out of a closed knife, was dark and pitted? That's caused by celluloid degradation. It is also best, not to store your celluloid handled knives, with your bone, stag and other natural material handled knives, as istoring them together makes them more prone to pitting. There is a product on the market, called "FLITZ", that will do a lot to stop your knives from destroying themselves and each other.
...Bill...
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Mr. Price,

I was just going to ask about the celluloid handled classics. It is real celluloid they used huh? I've been wondering about that lately as I contemplate the direction I'm going to take in my Classics collecting. I usually just stay clear of celluloid alltogether. I'd like to see a list of the 54s that you need. I have none, but I'll keep my eyes out :shock:

Bryan
CCBill

Classics...

Post by CCBill »

Hi, Bryan...
To my knowledge, the Classic handles are true celluloid. I have no proof of that, but by the way they can degrade, they certainly seem to be.
Hope my picture comes out OK.. These are my 254's.
From top to bottom
Allante pearl- Prototype (probably 1 of 1)
Green bone- 1 of 1000
Genuine abalone - 1 of 3
Abalone chip- prototype
Genuine pink coral- prototype
Stag- 1 0f 1000
Genuine MOP- prototype
Genuine MOP- 1 of 3
Genuine MOP- prototype
Inner Mastodon ivory- prototype
Bark Mastodon ivory- prototype(2007&1/2 small trapper)
Attachments
DSC00833 (Small).JPG
DSC00833 (Small).JPG (49.01 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the picture. I really like the bark mastadon and the coral. If I ever see one that is not in there, I'll look you up. You have probably already seen and / or own all of the ones I'll ever see, but you never know.

Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Howdy Boys,

-------- I'M very glad that my good Texas friend Bill Price has decided to join up on this here Case Classics forum with us! Bill is very wise on a lot of the Classic patterns & I value his opinions regarding the above tips he has given us on the care & special maintence to the Case Classics handled in celluloid! I too am a firm user with the product called Flitz but don't use it on any blade surfaces that have any of the Case Classic special edition main blade etchs as I have been told that Flitz will damage these areas! Through the forum that Bill & I use in the case Classic club I have leaned the proper way as Bill mentioned above to keep our celluloid handled knives dry & stored apart from all natural handled knives! ::tu::

" Texas collector ", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
Campgrama

Re: Does anybody around here collect Case Classic knives?

Post by Campgrama »

I have a collection of knives,lots of them but I have a full display of the American blade Eagle brand by james parker .I believe to be about 1982,Ab1 through Ab 30 .I would like to know what they are worth?These knives have never been used.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome Campgrama. Others will come along and give you better insights than I, but without photos its not easy to estimate value. With knives the value can vary greatly depending on condition and the materials used in the knife. Not having been used the condition of your knives is probablyvery good unless any have developed rust or other issues. I suggest you log onto ebay, type in Parker knives, and see what is going on in terms of price.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

You may want to post in the general knife forum, instead of Case Classics.Probably not many folks looking for Parkers here. ::tu::
Roger

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”