My Second Case Classic

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My Second Case Classic

Post by 1967redrider »

I've been meaning to post some pictures of the Antique Christmas Tree barn door hinge toothpick 10095 I recently picked up. It's #15 of 500, made in 1992 and came with box and paperwork. The paperwork says there were 500 knives in this handle material, 300 Candy Stripe, 250 Goldstone and just 200 in Mottled Brown. Originally made 1905-1915, I think they're pretty sweet! ::ds::
Attachments
Case Toothpick with box and paperwork
Case Toothpick with box and paperwork
tang stamp
tang stamp
#15 blade etch
#15 blade etch
Antique Christmas Tree toothpick 10095
Antique Christmas Tree toothpick 10095
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Second Case Classic

Post by 1967redrider »

Side note- the side of the box says it was made by Blue Grass for Case, wish I had taken a picture of it. I'm a big fan of their knives.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JEARL

Post by JEARL »

Nice looking knife

Jeff
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Nice knife,..have one myself. ::tu:: Just fyi,..those handles look like cranberry gold swirl, not Antique X-mas. Actually there were only 98 of the cranberry gold swirl made. So its alot rarer than the X-mas tree.The COA does not belong to that knife.They had their own COA, they were made for C&R knives to distribute, and the COA states this. The X-mas version of this knife is bottom center in this pic.
Attachments
24.jpg
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Classic Case wrote:Nice knife,..have one myself. ::tu:: Just fyi,..those handles look like cranberry gold swirl, not Antique X-mas. Actually there were only 98 of the cranberry gold swirl made. So its alot rarer than the X-mas tree.The COA does not belong to that knife.They had their own COA, they were made for C&R knives to distribute, and the COA states this. The X-mas version of this knife is bottom center in this pic.
I have seen the Christmas Tree handled knives like yours, I figured they called this one "Antique" Christmas Tree to denote a variation? ::shrug::

More rare is better in my book! There were other barndoor hinge knives sold at this auction but this was the only one in this handle material color, I'll have to go back and see if there was one like yours. Is there a book on Case Classic knives or another good resource? Thanks for the info!

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

There was a Christmas Tree like yours along with a Candy Stripe, Yellow, Mottled Brown and Goldstone. Plus these other two, maybe Pearl and _______ (I don't have a clue).
Attachments
Christmas Tree barndoor hinge
Christmas Tree barndoor hinge
282.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
Pearl? barndoor hinge
Pearl? barndoor hinge
257.jpg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
mystery??? barndoor hinge
mystery??? barndoor hinge
281.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 3707 times

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Abalone?

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

JEARL wrote:Nice looking knife

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! ::tu::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote:There was a Christmas Tree like yours along with a Candy Stripe, Yellow, Mottled Brown and Goldstone. Plus these other two, maybe Pearl and _______ (I don't have a clue).
Maybe Butter & Molasses?? ::shrug::
Attachments
Platts - Butter & Molassis - '97 mark.JPG
Case Classic Barndoor-crop.jpg
Case Classic Barndoor-crop.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

The one knife is Caramel Swirl ,..the other actually looks like the Mottled Brown, that has been discolored on the one end.(possibly sunlight fading?).I dont know what the Mottled Brown they sold looked like,..but if it looked brown,but different, it could have possibly been Burlwood Celluloid. (in my photo the Burlwood is at 10:00 o'clock , the Mottled Brown is at 2.)
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks for the info guys. ::tu::

Sweet looking knife jerryd6818! ::drool::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”