83' 5383 SC Stag with mainblade not "New Grind". Others are.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

83' 5383 SC Stag with mainblade not "New Grind". Others are.

Post by zp4ja »

1983 5383 Second Cut Stag. Is this common? Can't find this on any of my other new grind knives. Mainblade has regular shoulder.

Crappy pic but shows what I mean well. I can provide more if requested. Any input appreciated. Thanks, Jerry
5383 SC Stag.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Aimus Moses

Re: 83' 5383 SC Stag with mainblade not "New Grind". Others

Post by Aimus Moses »

Jerry, thats the way Case made that whittler patter when they were making the new grind knives back in the early 1980's. Only the secondary blades were new grind, the main blade was left normal. It right as rain and a nice looking knife too. ::tu::

Aimus
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Aimus,

Thanks much for the info! Any other new grind knives that they did that on besides the whittlers?

Thanks again. Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

I don't know for certain Jerry. Maybe Steve or Elvis could tell you. The reason I know that whittler pattern was made like that is because I had 2 of them made the same way as yours. Both had bone handles. I've seen some 1983 & 1984 era Case pattern knives with normal grind blades, then I've seen those same patterns from those same years have new grind blades on them. I'm not for sure Case made every one of it's patterns with new grind blades or that they used new grind blades on every knife they made during the new grind years of production.

Aimus
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

The only other model of Case Knife that I can think of that MIGHT have had a mixture of both New Grind and Regular Grind blades like this would have been the 6308 Whittler although I have never seen one. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve, but I believe there is some doubt as to the transition to the New Grind blades even fully being fully complete before Case decided to do-away with it. I do remember hearing once that the thickness of the tang on the 83 is the reason it wasn't converted (yet) at the time those knives were made.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Aimus Moses wrote:Jerry, thats the way Case made that whittler patter when they were making the new grind knives back in the early 1980's. Only the secondary blades were new grind, the main blade was left normal. It right as rain and a nice looking knife too. ::tu::

Aimus
Agreed...at least I have never seen an 08 or 83 whittler from those years with the MAIN blade new grind...only the secondarys. The 83 was discontinued in 80 or 81 before the new grind era so they were only made as SFOs so fewer of them to observe. But the 08 was still a standard pattern in 83 and 84.

May have been due to the thickness of the main blades, Maybe the new grind did not work on the thicker blades.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”