Case "Jaguar" set

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
zp4ja

Case "Jaguar" set

Post by zp4ja »

I checked on the web and this forum and don't see many, if any, examples of the Jaguar. Then again most of my collection is earlier Case knives so I don't have a boatload of reference material on Classics. Anyone have any info on these besides the little that I have?

Looks like 7 handle variations were made. Stamps range from 1996 to 1997. All knives in set have SN 206. All have Jaguar etch of course. Interesting thing is that some of the knives were limited to 500 pieces and some to 1500 pieces, according to the little bit of info I have (catalog page in pic below). The catalog page mentions "Fourth edition of the Jaguar Series". Any idea as to value of the set (all are mint condition) given it appears to contain all knives in the set/series and all with the same serial number?

Any input and info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jerry
Jaguar Set SN 206_all shield side.jpg
Jaguar Set SN 206_all with red stag etch.jpg
Jaguar Set SN 206_MOP.jpg
price list.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Classic Case

Re: Case "Jaguar" set

Post by Classic Case »

These are regular Case knives, and not Case Classics. I dont have any info on them,but it's a nice looking set. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

there just isn't very much info on the 51 patterns available even from case, i have a 51 pattern banana trapper proto listed on ebay right now and u would be amazed at how many people have told me its a fake as case hasn't made that pattern since the tested era because most of the books say that. or the ones that say im listing it wrong as they were classics made by parker i wish steve knifeaholic would have included them in his book because as low of production as case has made of these they should be the most sought after knives case has sold in the last 31 years
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

chautauqua wrote:there just isn't very much info on the 51 patterns available even from case, i have a 51 pattern banana trapper proto listed on ebay right now and u would be amazed at how many people have told me its a fake as case hasn't made that pattern since the tested era because most of the books say that. or the ones that say im listing it wrong as they were classics made by parker i wish steve knifeaholic would have included them in his book because as low of production as case has made of these they should be the most sought after knives case has sold in the last 31 years

Thanks for the input guys. Can you please post a link to the proto? What year was it made?
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Could they be an exclusive series made for sheperd hills cutlery? I have no idea,but as they are the ones listed in the advertisment you posted,maybe they would have info? Just a thought. ::shrug::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Classic Case wrote:Could they be an exclusive series made for sheperd hills cutlery? I have no idea,but as they are the ones listed in the advertisment you posted,maybe they would have info? Just a thought. ::shrug::
Any good way to contact them?
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

You might start here. I have never contacted them, so I'm not sure.I have bought from them before with no problems though.
http://www.shepherdhillscutlery.com/
marksman1985

Post by marksman1985 »

The jaguar knives were offered in the late 90's from shepherd hills cutlery. If I remember correctly they were limited to 500? and the first 250 were serial numbered. I think that a even more limited number also came with scrolled bolsters - maybe the first 125?. You have the whole collection there, and I would say after over 20 years it is pretty rare to have a set of all matching serial numbers. I did an online search to see if any of these are still being sold but it was slim pickings. Shepherd hills cutlery auctioned a mother of pearl handled one last year that sold for almost $1400 alone. I'd say that you have a valuable set there to be proud to have in your collection or to fetch you a pretty penny if you wished to sell and found the right buyer. I had two or three of these back then with the intention of completing a set but never did. I sold the ones I had about fifteen years ago and remember getting about twice what I paid for them. I'm sure that they would fetch more than that now because of the unique pattern and desirable handle materials.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

marksman1985 wrote:The jaguar knives were offered in the late 90's from shepherd hills cutlery. If I remember correctly they were limited to 500? and the first 250 were serial numbered. I think that a even more limited number also came with scrolled bolsters - maybe the first 125?. You have the whole collection there, and I would say after over 20 years it is pretty rare to have a set of all matching serial numbers. I did an online search to see if any of these are still being sold but it was slim pickings. Shepherd hills cutlery auctioned a mother of pearl handled one last year that sold for almost $1400 alone. I'd say that you have a valuable set there to be proud to have in your collection or to fetch you a pretty penny if you wished to sell and found the right buyer. I had two or three of these back then with the intention of completing a set but never did. I sold the ones I had about fifteen years ago and remember getting about twice what I paid for them. I'm sure that they would fetch more than that now because of the unique pattern and desirable handle materials.
Mr Marksman, great 1st post. Thanks for the info and come again. ::tu::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

marksman1985 wrote:The jaguar knives were offered in the late 90's from shepherd hills cutlery. If I remember correctly they were limited to 500? and the first 250 were serial numbered. I think that a even more limited number also came with scrolled bolsters - maybe the first 125?. You have the whole collection there, and I would say after over 20 years it is pretty rare to have a set of all matching serial numbers. I did an online search to see if any of these are still being sold but it was slim pickings. Shepherd hills cutlery auctioned a mother of pearl handled one last year that sold for almost $1400 alone. I'd say that you have a valuable set there to be proud to have in your collection or to fetch you a pretty penny if you wished to sell and found the right buyer. I had two or three of these back then with the intention of completing a set but never did. I sold the ones I had about fifteen years ago and remember getting about twice what I paid for them. I'm sure that they would fetch more than that now because of the unique pattern and desirable handle materials.
Thanks for the input Marksman! I don’t believe that they made any engraved models, at least I have not seen any data showing them in catalogs or internet.
Likely not many surviving full sets I imagine. Kills me when I see any FULL Case set being broken for a few extra bucks. That said, I do own some knives from broken sets.
My grandson owns the set now as I gifted it to him. When I gave it to him he got a lesson in how not to check if a knife is sharp. Looked away for a second and he drug his index finger parallel down the blade edge.

Welcome to AAPK. Good folks here. Hang around.
Jerry
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow Jerry! That’s an impressive set of knives! And a great gift too for the grandson.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Colonel26 wrote:Wow Jerry! That’s an impressive set of knives! And a great gift too for the grandson.
Thanks Wade. If you look at last pic/ catalog cut lower right hand corner, you can see my Dad had marked of each as he got it and the price he paid. He reserved all the same serial number to complete the set. Took him 4 years as I recall as each knife in set was released incrementally and not the entire set all at once. Special set indeed. He was a patient man for the most part.
Jerry
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

Nice set of Jaguar's. I was talking to a "older" collector friend of mine about this thread. Man did his eye rise up ::idea:: . He asked me to follow him to his basement. Once he remembered what he brought me down there for he pulled his Jaguar set out of the safe and was showing them off. ::ds:: They are a beautiful set of knives. Any way he said he would be willing to part with them for the right price. I beat around the bush for how much that price would be. After he told me if I had to ask the price then I couldn't afford them ::oh_my:: . (He's probably right) So basically he said he couldn't remember but if he heard it he would know. ::facepalm:: . if anyone is interested in the set of these 7 knives with no SN# on them in original boxes that have only been out of a couple times drop me a PM and we'll see if he will get rid of them.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks barnwood.

One just does not see these often. Usually just an occasional single knife of the set when seen.
Never seen a full set of no serial numbers or a set of serialized besides the one my grandson now owns. I venture to say they are out there, just never observed another.

Great set. Maybe someone will come along that wants to pick up your friend’s set. IIRC, my Dad paid 700 bucks for the full serialized set over 4 years of individual releases. Possibly involved some sort of extra fee per knife to get all the same serial numbers.

That said, not sure what his set would be worth. Maybe 800 bucks I would think but one never knows. Depends on the buyer and how bad or little they wanted it.

Be interested to know what the set brings if he sells it.

Jerry
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

I just looked on E-Bay and there are 2 pearl handle ones up for sale. 1 is asking 1500.00 they other is asking 550.00. All I can say is good luck to both of the sellers. I have seen strange things take place on the Bay.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Over the last few years I have watched 5 or 6 stag Jaguar auctions on eBay. I do not recall any of them having serial numbers but that would not be important to me since without a matching serial number knife or knives a serial number is of minimal interest. All those auctions ended in the $225 to $275 range. From my perspective that is a lot of money for a modern Case production knife.
pura55

Post by pura55 »

Hi would you know the value of a complete Jaguar Set now as I have been offered a set New in box all serial numbered but not consecutive numbers. Finding it hard to get any info on these. any help would be gratefully appreciated. thanks . regards warren

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”