Case Classics STILL undervalued.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Case Classics STILL undervalued.

Post by Dinadan »

What prices did Case Classics actually sell for when first released ? (i.e. not MRSP but actual amounts paid)
And what were the production numbers for some of the patterns ? (e.g. 100, 1000, 10,000 ??)
I have wondered about that myself. To me, the Classics are over priced today at $130 to $170 more or less, at least for whittlers. Just what did they sell for when new? In reference to what I said last year about collectible knives not gaining value, at least in the short term: I have several knives made as collectibles by Boker, Schrade, and Queen that are decades old mint condition, and I am certain that I got them for a lot less than they originally sold for.

I agree with Q that photos are good, so here is my one and only.
Attachments
Case Classic
Case Classic
Mel
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice bone on that one, Mel.

Here's my current collection of classic wharncliffe whittlers.
PC210365.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by kenny7478 »

case c.JPG
DSCN0389 (2).JPG
DSCN0391 (2).JPG
DSCN0392 (4).JPG
Don't know much about these knives
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

ilikeknives wrote: I considered myself very fortunate to have held and owned these knives. I would love to sell the ten or so I have left, but not at a buck fifty for an 88 pattern mint with low production numbers.
I think the "buck fifty" is (and always was) well beyond the means of most knife guys - that pool is inherently small to begin with. I think the current interest has shifted to GEC by those with that kind of disposable knife income.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kenny7478 wrote:case c.JPGDSCN0389 (2).JPGDSCN0391 (2).JPGDSCN0392 (4).JPG Don't know much about these knives
Neither do I except that I don't think they're Case Classics. Look like more recent standard Case production to me.

Post some better pictures (close ups of the knives themselves without the clamshell containers) in the Case Knife Collectors forum viewforum.php?f=66. Include pictures of the tang stampings and any box labels if you have them. Someone there will probably know about them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Lansky1 wrote:
ilikeknives wrote: I considered myself very fortunate to have held and owned these knives. I would love to sell the ten or so I have left, but not at a buck fifty for an 88 pattern mint with low production numbers.
I think the "buck fifty" is (and always was) well beyond the means of most knife guys - that pool is inherently small to begin with. I think the current interest has shifted to GEC by those with that kind of disposable knife income.
I agree completely, John. Maybe if the Classics were really made by Case they would sell better since it seems, to me at least, that Case knives in general command an overly high price.
Mel
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
kenny7478 wrote:case c.JPGDSCN0389 (2).JPGDSCN0391 (2).JPGDSCN0392 (4).JPG Don't know much about these knives
Neither do I except that I don't think they're Case Classics. Look like more recent standard Case production to me.

Post some better pictures (close ups of the knives themselves without the clamshell containers) in the Case Knife Collectors forum viewforum.php?f=66. Include pictures of the tang stampings and any box labels if you have them. Someone there will probably know about them.

Ken
Those aren't classics.
Roger
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

I paid a very high price for a Case Classic Cheetah in the early 2000s. It had an apple coral handle, came with the box, COA, NIB, & is either a prototype or sample. There were a large number of bids & immediately after winning the auction a couple of bidders contacted me wanting to know what I would take for it above the winning bid price. I elected to hang on to the knife for the time being & still have it. Considering the posts in this thread, I wonder if that was a major mistake. I also purchased an additional forty or so Case Classics in this time period, almost all with ‘exotic’ handle materials, prototypes, samples, 1 of 1 or 2, etc for a substantially lower price than the Cheetah. I’m uncertain what made this knife different. Maybe I’ve learned an expensive knife investment lesson buying the Classics. I’ve only recently, upon retiring, began to take a serious look at my knives, having mostly just kept them ‘shoe-boxed” since the mid 90s. I still have my entire inventory of >1000 knives (collectible & otherwise but 98% NIB) & feel comfortable about the value of most of the knives. But these Classics, they worry me.
Truth lives a wretched life, but always survives a lie.-unknown
Never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.-TR
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Cheetah referred to in previous post.....
Attachments
DD08A2E6-138D-4233-A198-CD1E1EF821B0.jpeg
C1E2CE49-3848-42D6-91F7-C6B02961C609.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Rocketman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:02 pm I paid a very high price for a Case Classic Cheetah in the early 2000s. It had an apple coral handle, came with the box, COA, NIB, & is either a prototype or sample. There were a large number of bids & immediately after winning the auction a couple of bidders contacted me wanting to know what I would take for it above the winning bid price. I elected to hang on to the knife for the time being & still have it. Considering the posts in this thread, I wonder if that was a major mistake. I also purchased an additional forty or so Case Classics in this time period, almost all with ‘exotic’ handle materials, prototypes, samples, 1 of 1 or 2, etc for a substantially lower price than the Cheetah. I’m uncertain what made this knife different. Maybe I’ve learned an expensive knife investment lesson buying the Classics. I’ve only recently, upon retiring, began to take a serious look at my knives, having mostly just kept them ‘shoe-boxed” since the mid 90s. I still have my entire inventory of >1000 knives (collectible & otherwise but 98% NIB) & feel comfortable about the value of most of the knives. But these Classics, they worry me.
I wouldn't worry too much about it if the knives were mine. I always look at it this way:

If you sell a knife for $100 at 5:00pm you are $100 richer than you were at 4:59pm regardless of how much you paid for the knife.

In your case you've enjoyed the knives for almost 20 years. If they were mine I would consider the loss, if any, the amount of money it cost me to rent the knives for 20 years. That's my take on it anyway.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Elephant ivory, paua, red stag, dirt cheap these days? Okaaay. I’ll just pass them to the kids and let them worry about the loss decades from now. Spilt milk for my purposes I guess. Learn something new every day, die and forget it all. Cela vie.
Attachments
image.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Buy high and sell low has always worked for me. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

That sounds like a very reasonable philosophy Railsplitter. I’ve enjoyed having and maintaining the knives and still do. And it’s always possible they could regain a modicum of value In the future. I’d rather be sitting with a collection of actual, usable knives (tools) in front of me than a collection of fiat cash who’s value could go to zero at any time. That’s consolation in its own right. If the SHTF, knives and bullets will be a much more precious commodity than linen federal reserve notes. Hard assets & usable tools will rule and paper cash will be used to insulate houses, start fires, etc, Weimar style. Lol.

Ken. Amen! That same method has kept me in the poor house for 50 years. Why change what works?? Lol
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't believe Case Classics are under valued. It's just that at one time they were way over valued.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kenny7478
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by kenny7478 »

CASE XX™ Engraved 125th Ann. Jigged Antique Bone 1/500 Stainless Knife. Found a description on all three knives. Not classic series knives. Thanks to all who replied.
chaysons

Post by chaysons »

This Case Classic was the ‘95 Club Knife for the members.Wonder knife for the eyes!
Attachments
F4A3CB42-74A1-4DDC-BF25-D851A0F220E0.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Were all of the Case Classics made by Queen ?
I think part of the reason for relatively low prices now is that they do not fir in with a Case collection because Case was not involved in making them.
For Queen collectors you can get the same patterns with Queen markings.
The Case Classics are a collectible group on their own so appeal to fewer collectors.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 pm Were all of the Case Classics made by Queen ?
I think part of the reason for relatively low prices now is that they do not fir in with a Case collection because Case was not involved in making them.
For Queen collectors you can get the same patterns with Queen markings.
The Case Classics are a collectible group on their own so appeal to fewer collectors.
kj
See the post from Roger on the first page of this thread. There were 4 Case Classic patterns made by Case in house. All of the other Case Classics were made by Queen.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. I missed that on my first reading of this thread.
kj

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”