Vintage Case fixed blade I.D.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
westfi1

Vintage Case fixed blade I.D.

Post by westfi1 »

I am a new member and this is my first post. I need help identifying this vintage Case fixed blade. My late Father bought it for me new when I was approximately twelve years old, which was around 1958. Please see the enclosed images. I have more close-ups that I am not posting.

The knife is nine inches overall, the blade is four and thirteen-sixteenths inches overall, and it has a four and one-half inch sharpened edge. The carbon steel blade is a mirror polished clip point with thumb serrations immediately forward of the hilt. It has a wide, two and one-half inch long fuller or "blood groove". The grip is stacked leather with brown and black spacers on both ends. The pommel is cast aluminum and the single hilt appears to be nickel silver. One ricasso is stamped with simply the word "CASE" and the other side is blank.

The sheath is sewn leather with no rivets. It is of the folded over and sewn type to form the belt channel rather than two slots cut into the back. The keeper strap is a removable strip of leather with a single nickel silver metal snap. It threads through two slots cut into the sheath. The front piece of the sheath has in relief a horizontal "CASE – XX" within a rectangle. Also on the front piece in relief are five vertical bars of varying lengths suspended from a horizontal bar, with an arrowhead on the bottom of each bar.

I would like to know approximately when it was made, what the original model name or number was, and what the original selling price was. I would also love to know what year or years it appeared in the Case catalog, and what the original description was in the catalog.

This knife has a lot of sentimental value to me. Any help with these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any information you can provide.
Attachments
PB300500.JPG
PB300503.JPG
PB300507.JPG
PB300494.JPG
PB300495.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Case fixed blade I.D.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Great story, and a really nice knife your father gave you! I'm no expert on Case fixed blades but from the reference I have it looks like your knife is a 325-5 which was introduced in the January 1, 1935 price list and discontinued between January 1972 and September 1974.

Unfortunately you posted it in the Case Classics subforum, which doesn't get a lot of traffic. If you can copy your post and put it in the Case Knife Collectors subforum it will get more visibility. Someone that knows about Case fixed blades will be able to give you more information. Or maybe one of the site admins will see this and move it for you.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”