087PE manufacture error ???

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bigfoothillbilly

087PE manufacture error ???

Post by Bigfoothillbilly »

I have a fairly nice 087pe three blade that has a Sheild side bolster this is in the wrong location on the stockman .
Any input would be greatly appreciated .

Bigfoothillbilly
Attachments
Has nice scales
Has nice scales
346BF419-917D-42D0-995D-F5CAD1029E4B.jpeg
2753F7A6-899C-4357-AEE4-5E11B2968229.jpeg
D456D2BA-2227-4235-8721-BDF9B43D9A56.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 087PE manufacture error ???

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Probably need pictures of the knife as it's hard to understand from the description what you are asking. It's easy to post pictures. Go to this link viewforum.php?f=98 and scroll down until you find the post about posting pictures with whatever device you're using, PC, Android or iPhone. Once we see the pictures I sure someone will be able to help. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

Why do you think the shield is in the wrong location? Looks okay to me.
Perception is Reality
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

AR Norby wrote:Why do you think the shield is in the wrong location? Looks okay to me.
Saved me the typing. ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

If you are talking about the circle beside the handle pin then yes that was an error by the pin spinner.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:If you are talking about the circle beside the handle pin then yes that was an error by the pin spinner.

Greg, Thank you for clarifying that. Cause I sure couldn’t see anything wrong w/ the knife. Could you explain what a pin spinner is and how it works.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:If you are talking about the circle beside the handle pin then yes that was an error by the pin spinner.

Greg, Thank you for clarifying that. Cause I sure couldn’t see anything wrong w/ the knife. Could you explain what a pin spinner is and how it works.
SSk
Mark the pin spinner is used to smoothly set the pin but if it slips will mar the bone a common error.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

SSk
Mark the pin spinner is used to smoothly set the pin but if it slips will mar the bone a common error.
Thanks Greg. I have never seen that on a knife before. Wouldn’t that be considered a factory second? I’ve seen polishing errors, acid errors, sharpening errors but never this. I learn something new every day on here.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Before the use of the spinner, pins were hand peined using a punch and hammer. You will see that spinner damage occasionally but not often so I guess Case didn't consider it a serious flaw. It's cosmetic only - doesn't affect function. Back in the day when the OP knife was made it was "pre-collector" so a knife was simply a tool. Folks didn't obsess over such things then. :lol:

Here's a post with a link to a Case factory tour video. About three minutes into it they assemble a knife and then spin the pins. You can see the pin spinner machine in action.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45848&start=75#p570124

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”