Question on my stockman

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
TW200

Question on my stockman

Post by TW200 »

I'm pretty sure I got this medium stockman about 1993 but noticed on the Case website they show the early 90's should have lightening shaped S instead of a normal S. What do y'all think?
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_20190127_092202563.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question on my stockman

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1990. 19 is on one side of “USA”, 90 is on the other side. From the “Research” section here on AAPK https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/. Scroll down to the section in 1990-1993.

Ken
8FFD708B-77AA-4760-897A-7521DBD98EE9.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TW200

Post by TW200 »

Oh, thanks but what do you think about the S's not being in lightening bolt shape?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TW200 wrote:Oh, thanks but what do you think about the S's not being in lightening bolt shape?
More Case trivia. :lol: It means your knife has carbon steel rather than stainless steel blades. During a time when nearly all their pocket knives had stainless steel blades, Case used the non-lightning S to denote carbon steel. If it had the standard lightning S stamp it had stainless blades, which at that time was their standard blade steel. Later they started stamping “CV” (for chrome vanadium) on their carbon steel knives. Sorry I don’t recall the exact date when this change occurred - someone here probably knows.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I think Ken is spot on. I've been under the impression that the different "S" is supposed to be in the word CASE as shown in this comparison pic. Your knife has the correct "S" in the word CASE because it's carbon steel. However, I read your post to imply that you are referring to the "S" in USA.

Here's the pic I'm talking about. The stainless Trapper has the lightning S in the word CASE and the carbon steel Pocket Hunter has the regular S. Both are from the same decade.

I think your knife, as well as Ken's comments, clarifies that Case uses this identifier for the S in USA as well.
Attachments
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4079.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TW200

Post by TW200 »

Ok that answers my question very well. Thanks y'all!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”