Shepherd's Hill Auctions

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Carl1970

Shepherd's Hill Auctions

Post by Carl1970 »

This is a topic that might not go over well but I'm going to say it anyway because I have spent way to much for knives that I wanted. Does anyone know if these bids are being driven up? The bids always are about the right price until 48 hrs before auction is over. I thought the purpose of an auction was to get a good price, NOT THIS AUCTION. I have called them and asked this question but got an answer of no. I do not think it would be Shepherds Hill doing this. I would like to know where these knives come from cause I want to sell my whole collection here and THEN RETIRE. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shepherd's Hill Auctions

Post by jerryd6818 »

Can you provide a link to these auctions? Just did a Google search. Is that a Facebook auction? ::barf::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

http://www.shepherdhillscutlery.com/Auc ... D=CC1086XX

This is the link to the last one. The auction lasts for a week and then when its over they usually post another in 3 or 4 days. Sometimes 1 week after. They have some really excellent Case knives and Case Classics but prices get really crazy. I will put some links to past auction below.

https://www.casexx.com/Auctions/May17/
https://www.casexx.com/Auctions/June18/
https://www.casexx.com/auctions/June19/
http://casexx.com/Auctions/JuneEnd20/
https://casexx.com/Auctions/Easter20/
https://www.casexx.com/Auctions/June20
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Man, some of those went higher than they would on ebay or knife shows!! The purpose of an auction is merely to sell things, in a true auction the idea is to get top dollar for the person who consigns the item to the auction. The purpose is not to provide bidders with a great deal. I have no idea where they get these items, probably they own them themselves. Not sure I understand your post, did you ask them if they take consignments like your knives? Auctioneers also charge the consignor fees for selling their items, often 30% or more.
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

Yes, they will take collectors knives to auction. My thing is having been watching these auctions for months I see when someone looks like they want a knife it seems like certain Names start running up the bid to a certain amount and then drop out. Most times it looks like it works and the price is through the roof for someone like me. When other times that same Name will get stuck wit up to $2000 worth of knives that no one would ever give those prices for. Maybe there is a millionaire out there wanting to throw his money away by bidding 3 times what something is worth. I don't thing they would be a millionaire long doing that. I think eBay looks for this behavior and sometimes it gets crazy but not often. I don't see just an everyday guy or gal spending $300 for a knife they know nothing about and just think its pretty. I myself have bought at these high prices until I caught on. I was really wanting a 6355 or 5355 Case Classic and never saw on under $250 on this auction. Just like the last auction. They will reach the $250 and then no more bidding from those Names.

How can I find other sellers other than this site that can give someone a reasonable deal?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Carl are you aware of the stores on this site? If you click on the white and grey AAPK logo at the top left of the page it'll take you to the stores. You can search by maker from the column on the left. There are quite a few folks there who have some serious inventory, you might find what you're looking for.

Eric
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Have you tried ebay? I just did a quick search and a 6355 CC in box recently sold for $156.50 plus shipping. These days ebay often "sets the price" for many knives, especially knives like the CC knives which were never made for use and most made are still mint in original boxes. In my opinion they are not worth collecting for investment since most things made to be collectible never really are. Just stay away from the celluloid CC knives, they are known to be made from celluloid that deteriorates rapidly. As Mumbley says most Case collectors do not consider the CC knives to be Case knives but there are plenty of folks who collect them. You don't say where you are from, but I have seen tables and tables full of CC knives at the knife shows in the south like the Dalton, GA show and the Shenandoah show in VA. At shows at least you can dicker with the actual owner to reach a mutually agreeable price in many cases. You will also likely see a good assortment of them at the Voyles' shows in TN. Good luck, I hope you find what you desire for reasonable prices, we all look for that no matter what we collect.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Carl1970 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:27 pm Yes, they will take collectors knives to auction. My thing is having been watching these auctions for months I see when someone looks like they want a knife it seems like certain Names start running up the bid to a certain amount and then drop out. Most times it looks like it works and the price is through the roof for someone like me. When other times that same Name will get stuck wit up to $2000 worth of knives that no one would ever give those prices for. Maybe there is a millionaire out there wanting to throw his money away by bidding 3 times what something is worth. I don't thing they would be a millionaire long doing that. I think eBay looks for this behavior and sometimes it gets crazy but not often. I don't see just an everyday guy or gal spending $300 for a knife they know nothing about and just think its pretty. I myself have bought at these high prices until I caught on. I was really wanting a 6355 or 5355 Case Classic and never saw on under $250 on this auction. Just like the last auction. They will reach the $250 and then no more bidding from those Names.

How can I find other sellers other than this site that can give someone a reasonable deal?
Good morning, i have found running up prices on Ebay to be a common practice on a lot of things, not just knives, but anything that are deemed to be collectable or in a lot of hobbies. And also i find it is worse over the last 12 months, there are a lot of things selling on ebay at over inflated prices. This has nothing to do with collecting this example, but supply and demand in a panic driven frenzy, when everyone went off their heads when Corona virus started, you know panic buying of toilet paper, flour, sugar, hand sanitiser etc., you get my drift. Well on Ebay, isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol as it is more commonly known was through the roof. It is the main ingredient in hand sanitiser, so when people couldn't buy sanitiser, there were hundreds of clips on you tube of how to make your own, but you could not get it, it was just cleaned out of all shops. I bought some because i always have it for a myriad of uses, so i bought extra while i could knowing it would be unavailable. A 5 litre bottle of 99.98% Isopropyl that i paid $40 Australian for, were going on Ebay for auction at $400 PLUS, $400 plus for something that was worth $40 retail, complete insanity, any way that is my rant for Sunday, you have a good week and stay safe. :)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I’m one of those people that has bought from this SHC auction. I haven’t for a few years. The last time I did I came away with 3 prototype knives w/ the serial number 0 on all three. I did pay more than I was hoping to pay but I did manage to sell all three for a profit. I held onto them for a few years and then sold them, I wasn’t flipping them. I really didn’t think I would ever sell them because of how much I overpaid for them. But I needed the money and offered them here on AAPK 2 years ago and people bought them.
So the prices may not actually be that inflated.
I have noticed that they either get collections to sell or this is where the CCC disposes of their unsold knives. I have seen knives come up on SHC that were exclusives to the CCC. I made an offer to purchase excess inventory from the CCC and they politely told me that they have it handled. Wouldn’t say how or where, but I suspect the biggest Case dealer would have more leverage than someone like myself.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you visit the SHC store in Lebanon, MO they have a showcase dedicated to one-of-a-kinds and other supposedly scarce knives. Some also looked to me like probably several years old left-over old stock. Amazing what a little “marketing” can do - take a knife that hasn’t sold, call it an “end of run” or similar and someone will snatch it up. :lol: Or put it in an on-line auction - anything to create some demand. Nothing wrong with that as long as its not misrepresented. It’s just smart marketing. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

You are correct. What I don't agree with is someone who OWNs the knife for sale and if the price isn't where they think it should be, so they drive up price.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Why are you so sure there are unfair bidding practices going on? SHC is an established business and I doubt they would allow consignors to bid on their own items. Most auction houses make sure this doesn't happen or they wouldn't last long in business and many states have laws regulating auction houses that make it illegal to use unfair bidding practices. I know there are shill bidders on ebay, I know a couple of sellers who have their friends bid on their items but I also know their friends never get stuck with their items or are even top underbidder. I have attended many auctions in the last 60 years and often there is somebody who just really wants an item and overpays (only an opinion) when they get caught up in a bidding frenzy. I have a good friend who makes a really high salary and he has a fantastic collection. He simply outbids any others or offers more than anyone else is willing to pay. He doesn't care if he pays more than "fair market value", he will just get several thousand more dollars next payday. It is hard to compete with a serious collector who makes say $300-500 an hour and they are out there.
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

I DO NOT think that Shepherd Hill is doing anything shady. That is definitely not where I was going with this. To answer your question about what makes me think this; I have been bidding on items on this auction site since I found it many months ago. I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed this. This is a subject as I stated in my first post that I probably shouldn't have brought up. Just thinking the same thing that was stated about eBay could be happening here also. That being said Shepherd Hill would have no knowledge of this happening. I guess every online or really any auction will have a possibility of this happening. I will start buying from this site. Found some great deals and I know the price isn't going to skyrocket at the last minute.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

While all the internet auctions site that I have used are plagued with shill bidding, when bids "skyrocket at the last minute" that usually is normal honest bidding. I wish I could always be at my computer to place my bid as late as my equipment can get it in under the line. That gives shill bidders less time to run up the price but just as important it gives competitors no time to get into an emotional "bidding frenzy." However, most of the time I have to bid early and wind up over bid by a small amount, often only by one bid increment. We've discussed this in other threads. Not bidding until the last few seconds is to the buyers advantage. So many buyers do that that it is common to see the price shoot up at the end.

Case Classics sell for a lot more than most other post 1980 Case knives. They should. They are Queen products and Queen was know for small production runs made with obsolete equipment. That took more labor. Collectors are competing to get more than their share of a limited supply. I used to be able to get the same pattern with same blades and handle sides but branded Queen for about half. However, Queen prices have gone up. If you can live with club etchings and decorations there are better values readily found in club knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I too have noticed this, I guess they cater to a different clientel than me. You will not find any deals there, but they do have a lot of one-offs. I would be surprised if knives purchased there would sell anywhere close to the same price on eBay or even at a show. ::shrug::

I don't think anything shady is going on though, just a different type of buyers/bidders.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”