1000 dollar dueling elephants sunfish

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

1000 dollar dueling elephants sunfish

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Yikes! Bids are up to 1002 with 2 hours to go. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Classic-S ... Sw~Z9gD4sq
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 1000 dollar dueling elephants sunfish

Post by 1967redrider »

What the fudge??? Don't people know about Case Classics or am I missing something here??? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Prices on these have been climbing a good bit lately but I haven’t seen one go this high since an ivory handled one a few years ago that this seller also sold.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Funny that he says he is looking to buy more. When ole Jim sold these he gave huge discounts if you bought a bunch of them and he guaranteed he would buy them back at a profit to you after a couple years. A friend of mine bought close to a hundred of them and when he tried to sell them back three years later for his promised profit good ole Jim welched on his promise and refused to buy them at all. Meanwhile over the years all the celluloid ones my friend bought gassed out rendering them fairly valueless. He has sold the stag and bone ones over the last 6-7 years and has done OK with them but he was pretty upset when Parker didn't live up to his advertisement.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The ebay seller “silverladdie” (son of Jim Parker Sr.) has a following on eBay and seems to get pretty good prices on his stuff, more than others selling the same article. Also seems to have a following for Case Classics and gets some very high prices for them.

Here’s a picture of the OP knife for posterity.

Ken
Attachments
C6FE5182-DBFB-4284-858E-7DB73696EB68.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

And here I was beginning to think the Case Classics market was dead. ::undecided::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:36 am And here I was beginning to think the Case Classics market was dead. ::undecided::
Oh no mate, every CC I've seen up for sale/sold, since I got into knives 5 years ago, have brought big $$$.

It tis a low key, but very passionate sub-set of Case collectors that go for 'em, and I know why. Once you hold a few, you can see why they are so desired by collectors.
IMHO, they are some of the best production knives ever made; on par with, and in many cases, better then GEC. My dad has only 2 in his collection (long frame whittler, gunboat canoe), and they are my most favoritist knives Mr. Frodo.
:D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Geez that stag is awful!! Could they grind a little more off it? I think they left a 1/8" strip on either side untouched. ::dang::

Eric
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

They’re well made knives for sure. But that’s about the ugliest stag I’ve ever seen. I hate fat stag, but fat stag that’s been butchered like that is even worse. Just my 2¢.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well Eric and Bro Wade, I sit in the camp exactly opposite of you; I absolutely love torched fat stag!
This example is especially nice, fits said pattern to a tee.

:mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Still being re-handled and etched today.
Roger
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:54 am
1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:36 am And here I was beginning to think the Case Classics market was dead. ::undecided::
Oh no mate, every CC I've seen up for sale/sold, since I got into knives 5 years ago, have brought big $$$.

It tis a low key, but very passionate sub-set of Case collectors that go for 'em, and I know why. Once you hold a few, you can see why they are so desired by collectors.
IMHO, they are some of the best production knives ever made; on par with, and in many cases, better then GEC. My dad has only 2 in his collection (long frame whittler, gunboat canoe), and they are my most favoritist knives Mr. Frodo.

I have a few, Willy, but they just don't do it for me in the way a Case XX era or older knife does. I like the Bluegrass Winchesters better than the Case Classics, just my preference I guess. ::shrug::

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 am I hate fat stag
::tu:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm they just don't do it for me in the way a Case XX era or older knife does.
Yes. I think we're on the same track here. I just don't go quite as far back. Anything "Case" made prior to 1980 gets a good look from me. I have a few XX but not many. Those really older ones seem to get more scarce as the years go by.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:02 pm
1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm they just don't do it for me in the way a Case XX era or older knife does.
Yes. I think we're on the same track here. I just don't go quite as far back. Anything "Case" made prior to 1979 gets a good look from me. I have a few XX but not many. Those really older ones seem to get more scarce as the years go by.

::tu:: ::tu::

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:06 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:54 am

I have a few, Willy, but they just don't do it for me in the way a Case XX era or older knife does. I like the Bluegrass Winchesters better than the Case Classics, just my preference I guess. ::shrug::
Yup mate, it's personal preference. Like any collecting, different stokes for different folks.
And there is absolutely nothing like wrong with it! It's awesome for us collectors, having variety is the spice of life.
::tu::

It's kinda funny, I absolutely do love Bluegrass knives! But the biggest issue I have with them, is no variety of handle materials/colors. That's what I love about Case, they produce so many different handle materials, is suh-weeet!
::woot::
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:02 pm
Yes. I think we're on the same track here. I just don't go quite as far back. Anything "Case" made prior to 1979 gets a good look from me. I have a few XX but not many. Those really older ones seem to get more scarce as the years go by.

::woot::

Yet, I don't have a single example in my whole collection... :?
I guess I need to change that, pronto!
Winston Churchill

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 am They’re well made knives for sure. But that’s about the ugliest stag I’ve ever seen. I hate fat stag, but fat stag that’s been butchered like that is even worse. Just my 2¢.

I agree. Extra fat stag like that is distracting. It brings nothing to the esthetics or
handling of the knife. IMHO

Bob
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

rea1eye wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 am They’re well made knives for sure. But that’s about the ugliest stag I’ve ever seen. I hate fat stag, but fat stag that’s been butchered like that is even worse. Just my 2¢.

I agree. Extra fat stag like that is distracting. It brings nothing to the esthetics or
handling of the knife. IMHO

Bob
To me it just looks cheap and I hate the way it feels. But I’m weird I guess. I don’t like a lot of white in my stag or popcorn either.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

When I first started collecting I thought fat stag was interesting and considered collecting fat stag knives. But then I saw older Henckels, Hen and Roosters, Weidmannsheils and others that have taken all the excess stag from the back and left most of the bark on the front and that changed my mind quickly. I much prefer as much of the bark on the front as possible. Not to put down this knife, but it strikes me that the cutler didn’t take the time to trim the excess from the back of the stag slab and just cut and hafted it away off the front side. That just isn’t high quality to me.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 am and others that have taken all the excess stag from the back and left most of the bark on the front and that changed my mind quickly.
I agree, I don't like thick handles on knives and I'll never understand, If the stag is so highly thought of, why in the world would you sand 60% of it off of your new knife just to get to the bolters. To remove material from the underside is the sensible thing to do in my view. Of course if it's a fad then it has dollar signs all over it.
Joe
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

There is no right or wrong answer to the thin stag vs. chunky stag - to each their own. However I'm in the thin stag camp.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 5165 A Front & Top.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

FRJ wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:35 am and others that have taken all the excess stag from the back and left most of the bark on the front and that changed my mind quickly.
I agree, I don't like thick handles on knives and I'll never understand, If the stag is so highly thought of, why in the world would you sand 60% of it off of your new knife just to get to the bolters. To remove material from the underside is the sensible thing to do in my view. Of course if it's a fad then it has dollar signs all over it.
In the case of that knife they didn't stop with the bolsters, they shaved whatever was left of the bark off the middle of the knife in one flat grind. Whether it was to get the shield to lay flat or to just thin the knife it's ridiculous IMHO. Why even use (or waste) the stag? They might as well have just torched some bone and been done with it.

I've got nothing against fat stag handles but when you have a piece of stag that's so ridiculously bowed (which I'm thinking was the case) that you have to do THAT to a knife in order to get it to look "presentable", you're just ripping customers off.

You don't see that as often now as you did in the eighties and nineties.

Eric

PS - The above knife (RalphAlsip's post) is more like it! ::tu:: I've also seen some very well done fat stag.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ralph that Case knife is beautiful. That stag is done to perfection.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”