Seeking wisdom after a crazy week!

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Pennawhittler
Location: My family has lived in Philadelphia Pennsylvania a very long time and reside in levittown PA.

Seeking wisdom after a crazy week!

Post by Pennawhittler »

Hello everyone,
Not many people know me yet. I haven't been here long and I just started collecting again!
Somehow every time I start collecting it turns into another full-time job.
So this week I decided to start hunting knives again on foot because I have been spending a lot and not selling anything to make up for what I spent or invested. ( Did I say I am happily married)😂. I only say that because I make my wife nervous spending time and money 💰💰💰💰 mostly 🤫🤦. I work night shift ,so after work on Wednesday night I decided to just take a chance and walk into a pawn shop. The first guy didn't have anything and I didn't expect them to because he's always on eBay every time I stop in and talk to him.
The second place I went I had never been before so I walked in and I start looking and I asked the woman behind the counter if she had any pocket knives and she walks out with a box filled I look at her and I say ......I'm going to start putting the ones I don't want on the right... Now my expectations weren't high I would be happy if I found one pocket knife to resell... Well the knife cards must have been looking over me because I found 6 good old made in the USA knives. 1 old timer tiny jack from the 80s , a case whittler from the 80s, a brand new Leatherman rebar tool, a little schatt& Morgan stag, a perfect uncle Henry lock blade from the 80s, and a beautiful ckrt edc framelock. So I said a $100 and said yes and I went home and started cleaning them for resale.
Skip ahead to the next morning. This time I'm going to an antique shop which the owner wasn't there he was at the foot doctor, well that's what his neighbor the shopkeeper next door told me. But as I was walking out with my head down and she says hey what are you looking for. I said reluctantly pocket knife. Well she got a big smile on her face and she said you're in luck she said because man did he get a lot of pocket knives yesterday. So now it's 10:00 I'd worked all night and didn't go to sleep and had to wait for this guy to come back because God knows if you leave someone else might find the treasure you're looking for😏.... So I'm going to tough it out I waited around for about an hour before you made it back .I walked in and introduce myself and I told him I'm looking for pocket knives. The first thing he does his hand me a pocket knife it says what's this? ..... I tell him it's k bar because how much you going to give me for it and I said 15 he said 20.... I already filled my adrenaline going because I just know I'm going to make money on that k bar already..... Well he walks over and he opens up four pocket knife holders filled with collections all I see is stag everywhere. The first one he shows me is all late seventies early '80s mint condition 33 beautiful case knives.... Now my adrenaline is really going because I still got to look at three books.... And I thought am I over my head here..... Well I'll make the story short the other three books are all Parker and I'm not sure if I should get them I don't know enough about them and I really would like somebody's help making this decision and what I should offer I paid $1,500 for the case knives and walked out..... I need to know if it's worth going back for them Parker and AG Russell I think there's somebody reads this could you please reply to me I would really appreciate it I couldn't believe my luck it was probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me and Monday is my birthday. I'm sorry this is so drawn out so long I just wanted to give some kind of explanation to what I was talking about and hopefully you can get a picture of my excitement of getting in the knife collecting after raising a family after so many years and this happening. I mean nothing could have fueled the fire more than a find and win..... By the way the Parker and the Russell are beautiful they're very beautiful and I'm just not sure what to do should I offer him 1500 for the three would that be fair. The good thing for me was he didn't want to split everything up and tell them one by one. And thanks to another member who I talked to daily he kind of guided me through this he's been collecting knives for years it was quite an experience.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Seeking wisdom after a crazy week!

Post by herbva »

Wow, thanks for the great story. That's the kind of find many of us hope to run into. Now, of course, you know you have to post some pictures so we can see this terrific haul! :D And, welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Pennawhittler wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:25 am Hello everyone,
Not many people know me yet. I haven't been here long and I just started collecting again!
Somehow every time I start collecting it turns into another full-time job.
So this week I decided to start hunting knives again on foot because I have been spending a lot and not selling anything to make up for what I spent or invested. ( Did I say I am happily married)😂. I only say that because I make my wife nervous spending time and money 💰💰💰💰 mostly 🤫🤦. I work night shift ,so after work on Wednesday night I decided to just take a chance and walk into a pawn shop. The first guy didn't have anything and I didn't expect them to because he's always on eBay every time I stop in and talk to him.
The second place I went I had never been before so I walked in and I start looking and I asked the woman behind the counter if she had any pocket knives and she walks out with a box filled I look at her and I say ......I'm going to start putting the ones I don't want on the right... Now my expectations weren't high I would be happy if I found one pocket knife to resell... Well the knife cards must have been looking over me because I found 6 good old made in the USA knives. 1 old timer tiny jack from the 80s , a case whittler from the 80s, a brand new Leatherman rebar tool, a little schatt& Morgan stag, a perfect uncle Henry lock blade from the 80s, and a beautiful ckrt edc framelock. So I said a $100 and said yes and I went home and started cleaning them for resale.
Skip ahead to the next morning. This time I'm going to an antique shop which the owner wasn't there he was at the foot doctor, well that's what his neighbor the shopkeeper next door told me. But as I was walking out with my head down and she says hey what are you looking for. I said reluctantly pocket knife. Well she got a big smile on her face and she said you're in luck she said because man did he get a lot of pocket knives yesterday. So now it's 10:00 I'd worked all night and didn't go to sleep and had to wait for this guy to come back because God knows if you leave someone else might find the treasure you're looking for😏.... So I'm going to tough it out I waited around for about an hour before you made it back .I walked in and introduce myself and I told him I'm looking for pocket knives. The first thing he does his hand me a pocket knife it says what's this? ..... I tell him it's k bar because how much you going to give me for it and I said 15 he said 20.... I already filled my adrenaline going because I just know I'm going to make money on that k bar already..... Well he walks over and he opens up four pocket knife holders filled with collections all I see is stag everywhere. The first one he shows me is all late seventies early '80s mint condition 33 beautiful case knives.... Now my adrenaline is really going because I still got to look at three books.... And I thought am I over my head here..... Well I'll make the story short the other three books are all Parker and I'm not sure if I should get them I don't know enough about them and I really would like somebody's help making this decision and what I should offer I paid $1,500 for the case knives and walked out..... I need to know if it's worth going back for them Parker and AG Russell I think there's somebody reads this could you please reply to me I would really appreciate it I couldn't believe my luck it was probably one of the best things that's ever happened to me and Monday is my birthday. I'm sorry this is so drawn out so long I just wanted to give some kind of explanation to what I was talking about and hopefully you can get a picture of my excitement of getting in the knife collecting after raising a family after so many years and this happening. I mean nothing could have fueled the fire more than a find and win..... By the way the Parker and the Russell are beautiful they're very beautiful and I'm just not sure what to do should I offer him 1500 for the three would that be fair. The good thing for me was he didn't want to split everything up and tell them one by one. And thanks to another member who I talked to daily he kind of guided me through this he's been collecting knives for years it was quite an experience.
Welcome aboard and glad to see an active buyer and seller enjoying the hobby. As far as fair price on the Parker and A.G. Russell’s. The Parkers I would pass on since they don’t sell well unless you sell them cheaply. The Russells on the other hand are a different story. I collect and buy and sell A.G. Russell knives a lot. That price could be high or it could be low. You really have to look at each knife in there. Some older AGR knives bring hundreds of dollars and some not much at all. If you could get me a picture of the knives in question I might be able to help.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Pennawhittler
Location: My family has lived in Philadelphia Pennsylvania a very long time and reside in levittown PA.

Post by Pennawhittler »

Hey how you doing thank you for your response, to be honest I'm not sure how many Russell he had in there but I called him back to see if he would look and he said he'd call me back later on.
Anyhow sorry for my long rant before and I will definitely let you know if there are Russell in there.
I'm actually really still getting my feet wet trying to figure out how I'm going to run everything it's like I've been working two full-time jobs lately.
But to be honest I love that part.
Well have a happy Easter and enjoy your family and maybe I'll talk to you soon.
Pennawhittler

Post by Pennawhittler »

Hey herb thanks for saying so although I felt pretty tired when I wrote all that so I feel like I was rambling on and I hope it wasn't too much.
I've really been putting in a long hours and messing up my sleep so I'm trying to stay in reality 🤣😎🥸🥱and also to figure all this out on the fly...
Honestly I love finding them buying them and then taking them home and cleaning them up and making them look nice again and bringing them back to life. I'm definitely all four posting my knives on a AAPK when I can but I'm not sure about how or if I'm ready yet. I feel like I'm still in the setting up phase. It's like a happy balance of trying to keep your inventory and your sales up.
I'm actually leaning towards keeping everything in a AAPK that I get because I really can't stand eBay
Anyhow herb thanks for writing and any direction that you can offer it's always welcome.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”